1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ross the Citizen owner

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Puka-head, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    "The Dolphins are aiming to have every member of its roster registered to vote by September, and have some famous help. Martin Luther King III, the son of the civil rights icon, actually flagged down Dolphins players in the halls of team headquarters this, handing them the registration forms and making sure they were filled out correctly."
    “Of course, the hope is that translates to encouraging more people across our nation to get engaged and to vote because a vote-less people, as dad said, is a powerless people,” King said Thursday. “One of the most important steps that we can take is that short step to the ballot box.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article156558654.html

Another reason I am excited about the team and the future of the Dolphins. The culture change isn't just on the field. Ross is putting down some deep and enduring roots in the Miami community but also in the Football community. The way he partners with the players to help them achieve success after and outside of football is incredible, what player wouldn't want that.
    I'm a total voter registration geek, I volunteer at for the League of Women Voters regularly doing vote drives. Used to drive people to the polls but now we have all mail in ballots. Which is the best thing ever. I would be as proud of this team for having 100% voter registration as I would be about football accolades.

Nicely done Ross! Keep up the excellent work GO PHINS!!!

2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    It's funny, people are screaming bloody murder on social media over politics....yet less than 47% of the nation voted. If you didn't vote, then your opinion just doesn't matter since you're a major part of the problem in the first place.

Needless to say, I think this is a great move by Ross. Rock the vote!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Tin Indian and Puka-head like this.
  3. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    VOTE OR DIE!!!

I see the images of the people of Iraq walking around showing everyone their purple finger in pride. We are the very cradle of freedom and democracy in the world, and more than 1/2 of us couldn't give a flip. Sad. People died for that right, still fighting and dying for that right, and we can't be bothered.

That's how we end up with fanatics and extremists from either POV in control instead of the 80% of us who agree on most things being heard.

KeyFin likes this.
  4. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 2022 Mother's Day and May Flowers!

Apr 15, 2012
    Thought that you were not suppose to talk about politics or religion. Those are taboo there.

Finster likes this.
  5. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Yeah, sorry. I do lot's of things I'm not supposed to.:angel:

6. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    does voting even matter anymore? just a bunch of gray-haired dudes in DC wasting people's time. The most powerful nation in the world is being laughed at. They can't provide true, free healthcare for its people, and the emphasis is always on litigation, arrests and investigations. If we spent less time arresting citizens for stupid things, used that money tied up in the judicial system (lawyers, judges, courthouses and their workers) back in the community, we would have a better society. You want a great nation? Feed, clothe, train and house citizens. Give them chances to thrive in society. Moreover, the people you do vote for are too busy wanting to investigate and prosecute officials more than doing their job, which is to make laws and make the country less bogged down. We have homeless, hungry and psychologically and physically impaired citizens that we basically crap on. We waste our time meddling in every country's business and encourage illegals or those that travel to rogue nations to come back and forth.

So please don't act like encouraging people to vote makes a difference. Nothing changes. You vote for Democrats that block Republicans and you vote for Republicans that block Democrats. A great system!

firedan likes this.
  7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Agreed. There's quite a bit to criticize Ross for in the past, but he's really gotten alot of things right lately. I'd have to think his reputation amongst other owners should be increasing.

I think Tom Garfinkle has alot to do with alot of these team, and organizational changes in culture as well. He's a guy that clearly gets it.

From this initiative, to what they've done through OTA's in bringing in local high school teams to be involved in their practices, meet with players, etc, etc. They're doing a good job of trying to expose themselves more to the community, try and attract more interest and fans, it's some pretty basic grass roots stuff and hopefully it takes hold and the team keeps improving on field and we start seeing the rock filling up more and more on Sundays.

You can't deny they're on a really good track right now as an organization.

Puka-head likes this.
  8. Rickysabeast

Rickysabeast Royale With Cheese

Jul 26, 2016
    I really don't want to se any political focus from my sports team. Like ever unless it's to get a better stadium etc. Ross is a good owner but he's a liberal who is trying to get more Dems signed up. That's his goal. Not going to go further into it but I don't like it. Wouldn't like it the other way either. I just want football out of my football team.

Finster likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Well, you're wrong. Ross has been a huge money supporter for numerous Republicans.

Simple fact of the matter is the man is trying to help his players grow beyond just football. He's set up a program to help them manage money and plan for life after football and he's trying to get people involved in the process of governance. This has nothing to do with political sides at all.

To view any of that with disdain is flat out revolting.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  10. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    While the voter registration drive of the team is the focus of this thread, it is the LAST paragraph in the linked article and said article focused more on the youth football visits to Dolphins spring practices; how these kids were on the field cheering the players on, which upped the tempo and intensity of the players during practice. After reading the article, it seems to me that the Dolphins organiation is wanting to project themselves as the team of the city, rather than city of the team...if that makes any sense. Probably didnt articulate that well enough. Need another cup of coffee perhaps lol.

As to the topic of the thread, I feel every eligible citizen should be registered to vote; every eligible citizen should vote...it's your civic duty. We are a nation that fought against unjust tyranny for the right to be able to govern ourselves and millions of Americans have paid for that in blood, with some paying the ultimate price. When it comes to voting, I am always reminded of the poet who wrote...

Puka-head and Rickysabeast like this.
  11. Rickysabeast

Jul 26, 2016
    Has anyone ever described your conversational style as acidic? Didn't these players go to college? If they want to vote they'll go vote.

However, I do commend him for the business training piece. Always have. That's not part of what this thread is about though. See Pukahead was kind enough to provide us with narrative:"The Dolphins are aiming to have every member of its roster registered to vote by September, and have some famous help. Martin Luther King III, the son of the civil rights icon, actually flagged down Dolphins players in the halls of team headquarters this, handing them the registration forms and making sure they were filled out correctly."
    “Of course, the hope is that translates to encouraging more people across our nation to get engaged and to vote because a vote-less people, as dad said, is a powerless people,” King said Thursday. “One of the most important steps that we can take is that short step to the ballot box.”

I don't see any of that being about anything other than a famed Democrat helping them become voters.

Puka-head likes this.
  12. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    definitely acidic. Great terminology. He must argue with everyone, face to face too. You aren't allowed to have a different opinion, it must be his way. Guy is always in a bad mood.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not talking politics.

It is revolting that anyone would have disdain for what Ross is doing.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ross is not a democrat. You are wrong. If you spouting something that isn't true and me calling you on it makes me acidic, then fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2017
  15. Rickysabeast

Jul 26, 2016
    I like your post. However in 2017, I think there should be some test that is mandatory before voting. If you;re just going to go in there and whack holes next to random names that you got from watching MTV, BET or your favorite armpit farter on Youtube then you shouldn't vote. More importantly are all those paid to vote each year.

My point is that those who have done enough research and are intelligent on who they want to vote for should be able to vote. I'm not going Repub or Dem as this is not the place and no-one cares really what I think about anything. I'm just here to talk about football. I'm actually going to stay clear of threads like this because I would like to make friends on this board and this topic pushes us all into potentially making polarizing comments which I'm sure I've already done.

I wave the white flag of truce and hopefully we can all just talk freaking football!

Puka-head likes this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You're here to just talk about football but read the thread title, knew this wasn't about football, and then decided to make a post that voices your non-football opinion?

Makes all the sense. All of it.

Sigh.

17. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

18. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Posts of a purely political nature will be deleted. If it persists, points or vacation time (from the site, not to Hawaii) will be issued. Keep it on topic please.

Thanks

Fin D likes this.
  19. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I'm going to stay out of the politics of this, it never ends well.

And whether you think Ross's motives are Political in nature I find it admirable that he is pushing for it. He has grown as an owner after a very rough start. I am proud he owns this Football Team, our Miami Dolphins!

Puka-head and Fin D like this.
  20. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Religion is ok...in the religion forum. The main board....it better be Dolphins related.

21. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Did my last post here get deleted? If so I'd appreciate knowing why?

22. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    could be the Russians

23. Rickysabeast

Jul 26, 2016
    This thread is the typed version of this video. No one hears the other one.

Bpk likes this.
  24. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    lol

25. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

That's fantastic.

Rickysabeast likes this.
  26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    My man Steven Ross..always believed in the guy, never talked sh$$ on him, always told folks he would turn out to be the right guy..and respect him for taking the worst venue in sports and making it awesome.

Fin D and Puka-head like this.
  27. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Those bastards ruin EVERYTHING!!!

Sorry to get people spinning about politics. I chose the title very carefully believe it or not. To me voter registration and encouraging people to participate in the process isn't politics, it's CITIZENSHIP. It's our duty as citizens. It's about communities. And I see the owner of our favorite team being an exceptional citizen of his community. The article also brings up the awesome things like the youth teams getting to be on the field at practice, the voter drive, the RISE foundation and more. Nowhere did it express a political opinion from either Ross or the team. It was all just about the civic responsibility and how the team is RISING up to meet it.

Whatever your POV it's valid and needs to be heard, but if you don't participate how can it be???

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Rickysabeast likes this.
  28. Rickysabeast

Jul 26, 2016
    I liked it so much I stuck it in my signature. Classic. Let's talk about the contradiction!

29. Rickysabeast

Jul 26, 2016
    You did good bud. It's the doldrums of the offseason right now. We're testy.

Puka-head likes this.