1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ross Should Have Let Philbin Go...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's just words that sound good when said fast, but don't really hold up. As Contrarian Bell, pointed out, Martin sabotaged the locker room. That's not a problem with control. That's a problem with the person. Philbin did not have the power to get rid of Martin.

That's dumb. If Martin can be developed than any player can, and if a player busts out then its always the coaches fault. Also, you're now stepping all the hell over your own argument form earlier. So we're all clear, its Philbin's job to develop players, so when martin busts out its his fault but when tannehill improves Philbin had nothing to do with it. Weak sauce.

MrClean likes this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No, they speculated.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That's vague, I don't see the logic in a GM who brings in Dansby and Bush then to turns around and lets them walk, your admitting you made two large mistakes..

4. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Yes, any player can be developed. That doesn't mean any player can be developed into a good player. But it certainly is reasonable to expect some improvement to a certain degree. Jon Martin ended up worse when he left than when he arrived.

And I literally said the Martin pick was a black eye for the front office. The selection of the player and the development of the players should be evaluated separately.

And when the hell did I say Philbin had nothing to do with Tannehill's development? I have no idea who to attribute his development to.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Does it not coincide with with what I speculated though?

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WADR, that makes no sense. For your argument to make sense, then GMs around the league would rarely get rid of players they brought in.

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm all for a head coach doing it his way for the allotted time he gets..I'm just not gonna ignore the signs of the way he wants to shape the team..

He gets his third year, with support from me.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No, not any player can be developed. That's absurd.

Wait, help me out here, you know Philbin is at fault for not developing Martin, but you have no idea who is at fault for helping Tannehill develop?

9. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    If they speculated about Dansby, then they speculated about Martin.

10. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    That's funny since he was cited as one of the most overpaid players by Forbes magazine.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/custom/business/blog/2012/09/miami_dolphins_dansby_3_jets_a.html

Even Armando cites Dansby play as the reason he was cut. Now Armando does mention that Dansby irked Philbin at times but then dismisses it as something they could have work around had he played better.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...phins-to-cut-karlos-dansby.html#storylink=cpy

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/03/dolphins-to-cut-karlos-dansby.html

This notion that Philbin had everyone on the leadership council removed from the team makes a great conspiracy theory but two of the players in question were in the final year of their contract and we know the Phins made an effort to bring back Long.

Fin D likes this.
  11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I believe Dansby was released, and Bush exuded supreme professionalism and good production, why would the GM who brought those two in want out?

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The two aren't the same thing, no matter how many different ways you've tried to make them the same thing through the course of this argument.

We had insider info on the Martin stuff that was later confirmed (much later) through the media. The Dansby thing had speculation and nothing more. But even if it wasn't, it had no bearing on the Martin thing as the majority of the martin stuff happened when Dansby, Long & Bush were there already.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    - Dansby didn't live up to his contract nor did he provide the skill set Coyle was looking for. ireland found a younger & cheaper replacement who did have the skill set Coyle was looking for.
    - Bush was at the end of his contract and old for a RB. We felt Miller would provide exactly what Bush did but younger and cheaper.

Ireland has never displayed an ego when it comes to cutting bait on a player. He's shown an ego in many other ways, but not that one.

14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Actually, Philbin says he doesn't get involved with developing players, that's up to the positional coaches. So he is ultimately responsible, because he hires the positional coaches, yes. But he says he's hands off when it comes to developing players. His words, not ours. Philbin's culpability, if any, is hiring the wrong coach.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...herman-and-coaches-to-develop-ryan-tannehill/

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its not my argument, its Stringer's.

Also, I'm not arguing with you, but do you have a link to that, because I have not read that?

16. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    This. The staff Philbin brought in with him was bad. The lockerroom culture fell apart. The team fell apart with the playoffs on the line. To me those are very Head Coach-related problems.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Does anyone wonder why Sherman's son in law is still the qbs coach..wouldn't Lazor want his guy?

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Maybe Lazor is fine with Taylor. Maybe he likes having a guy that already has Tannehill's rapport and trust.

Everyone always said that Taylor sucked, but they never really gave a reason why they thought that.

19. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I edited it with the link.

20. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    People assumed that he was only hired due to nepotism but maybe he is good at his job. It was the same with Tony Sparano, Jr but he has stayed on with the Jets after his Dad was canned and was even recently promoted.

21. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think either of these things have anything to do with Philbin, or if they do it's very faint praise.

I don't agree at all, if anything the team was worse than the record change suggests. This team folded with the kind of intensity normally seen by winners in a lot of key situations.

I like the Lazor hiring. Not that it amounts to anything, but I think I mentioned him as an OC candidate I liked before he was brought up by anyone else.

That doesn't mean even if it turns out to be a good hiring it outweighs all the bad.