1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ross forms PAC

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    siciliansith and Bpk like this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Good, knock him out of office

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    While I'm morally repulsed (and have been for some time) by the entirety of our political system and how our government is bought and paid for by the wealthy to further their own agendas...at the very least this shows Ross is dedicated to keeping the team in Miami.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I wonder if Ross' plan to use the PAC to support Rick Scott is enough to make me no longer be a Dolphins fan. Something to think about.

ASOT likes this.
  5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I like rick scott. Remember when he was like **** the aca...................and then was like I love aca? That was funny.

ckparrothead and Fin D like this.
  6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I take it you despise Rick Scott?

7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    LOL not gonna happen.

ASOT and TiP54 like this.
  8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Reminded me of the political stuff in Boardwalk Empire.

Bpk likes this.
  9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Not a Rick Scott fan at all. Not a fan of any present day politician TBH. But I can respect a man who's trying to do some good, even if he has to deal with some unsavory folks to get it done. It's not he didn't try the (somewhat) high road first.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  10. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Did you become a Dolphins fan because of Joe Robbie's politics?

firedan, Finfan7273, Da 'Fins and 2 others like this.
  11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The difference here being Steve Ross is forming a PAC which will attempt to directly influence the Rick Scott re-election bid, and by giving money to the Miami Dolphins and to Steve Ross I would feel like I am indirectly supporting that bid.

But I guess being a sports fan means renouncing your rights to stand up for what you believe in?

12. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Actually yeah it does. If you are a Pats fan that thinks circumcision is a brutal, barbaric ritual and that Christianity has brought nothing but ruin to the globe, do you choose another team post-Tebow signing? That's up to every person I suppose

13. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

His first bit of business was to fly out to California because he got wind that an up and coming house speaker was available. Despite having one already in Florida, Ross and his team tried desperately to convince the CA Representative to come to Florida.

Unfortunately, the rep decided to stay local, leading the Northern California district he represents, to a new found prosperity while our rep continued to flounder...

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Interesting.

I've always said that if we signed someone like big Ben or Mike Vick, I'd not root for the team while those players are here.

....But I think that is different than the politics of the owner.

....Then again, I guess there's a difference between the politics of the owner and the owner actively getting someone elected.

....OTOH, how much am I contributing to Ross' pocket? I think it would be pretty difficult to trace my dollars from my pocket to Ross' to the campaign to get Scott re-elected to quantify if those dollars actually convinced a single person to vote differently thereby cancelling out my vote against Scott.

15. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    It's pretty hard for me to imagine any thing that would sway my loyalty to this team but that's just me.

16. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm catholic and if the anti-christ himself was signed as QB I'd support the team if he could throw the ball on a rope and dissect a defense like a moyel.

siciliansith and Da 'Fins like this.
  17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    2 Superbowls. Minimum.

Finfan7273, siciliansith and Da 'Fins like this.
  18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Could someone summarize why this Rick Scott is a douche?

19. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    One of my fave things about sports is that people can put aside race, gender, religion, politics, etc and just root for their favorite team.

Having said that, Ross knows full well that the Tri-County area is one of the biggest/most left leaning metropolises in the country AND the people are more unlikely than ever to approve public funding after the Marlins fisasco. He's not going to go overboard supporting Rick Scott, only to get the bill to the floor and have it smashed b/c he pissed off the people who actually have to vote for it.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  20. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Reasons

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Isn't this a complete exercise in futility?, to put it in the hands of the citizens?, knowing what we know about this situation, I wouldn't do anything that had to do with my fate relying on thepublic vote.p in this town.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  22. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    For a wildly successful billionaire, it's amazing how much of a loser Stephen Ross is. Maybe it's just the Dolphins, politics, and/or Dolphins-related politics, but he can't back a winning horse, and no one seems to respect him much. He gets turned down, jilted, left at the altar, whatever you want to call it, and half the time he opens his mouth it is something dumb.

Here's hoping the Dolphins can reverse his losing trend that, because it sure as hell doesn't look like it's going to work with this latest effort. Seriously, Rick Scott? Why not pump 10,000 volts into a dead cat?

23. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He is pretty much an exaggerated political characterature given life to people to the left of Mussolini, and he should probably be in jail for his business dealings.

djphinfan likes this.
  24. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Indeed. And that reminded me of this:

[​IMG]

One of the great things about sports here is that these two great men, Merlin Olsen and Deacon Jones, were able to set aside race in a time of extreme racial tension in L.A. and other parts of the country and loved each other like brothers. I love that and I love them for that.

RIP to both of them (and they played in the greatest era of football in history, imho).

DOLPHAN1 and siciliansith like this.
  25. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I'm not really sure what would make me withdraw my support for the team.

Political speech would be pretty far down on my list if I were to make one. It have to be pretty egregious

Yeah I think we are pretty safe. Exactly five people like Scott.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

26. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    He's a billionaire so apparently he's either somewhat smart or the luckiest man in world history. IMO he has no choice but to bend the knee for the governor, nothing will happen without Scott's approval. I suppose he could put his weight behind getting Scott canned but that won't help him until after the next election, at which point he'd be bending the knee again for whomever supplants Scott. Not even billionaires have hundreds of millions lying around so he can't pay for the renovations himself, most likely he still owes a large sum from purchasing the franchise to begin with. All of Dade and Broward stands to benefit from having Miami as a perennial Super Bowl venue, but it's a Democratic leaning area so any Republican administration will be driving a hard bargain. JMHO.

27. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Eared One strikes again. I have said this multiple times but it should be repeated...the Miami Dolphins are run by a group of morons in Stephen Ross, Mike Dee and Jeff Ireland. We'll never win with these a-holes in charge.

28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Stephen Ross does not support Republicans only. He is pretty pragmatic in terms of party affiliation IMO.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

29. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Hailing from CA and this Florida race being very local, I don't know why either. I was just wondering if it was a bunch of people on one side calling the guy on the other side crazy. So I'm looking around for articles. Not much to find (except his approval numbers are low but rising).

I did find this:

The article notes he is trying to expand Medicaid and teacher salaries. Of course he's going to lose. Democrat party won't like him stealing their thunder, Republican party won't like his budget handling!

djphinfan likes this.
  30. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He supported Mitt Romney. He did not support Obama. So, baloney.

31. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I am major fan of one. Bernie Sanders. IMO, we need 59 more senators just like him. One of my Oregon senators is pretty much in lock step on votes with Sanders, so I guess I'd say I'm a fan of his too.

32. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    In terms of giving, from 2010 to 2012, here's a breakdown I compiled (I'm not sure why I spent the time doing this):

$48,450 - NY Dems
    $65,000 - NY GOP

$158,300 - National GOP

$50,000 - "Let's Get to Work" PAC supporting Rick Scott
    $10,000 - "Floridians for Economic Leadership" - ???? (Excluded because I can't find mention of this anywhere)

Totals:
    GOP: $273,300
    Dems: $48,450

Sources:
    http://election.dos.state.fl.us/campaign-finance/contrib.asp#criteria
    http://www.opensecrets.org/usearch/...10677907462955562473:nlldkv0jvam&cof=FORID:11
    http://www.elections.ny.gov:8080/pl...AMOUNT_from=1&AMOUNT_to=10000000&ORDERBY_IN=N

MrClean, ckparrothead and Fin D like this.
  33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Do you honestly believe that's even remotely similar, or were you just completely bullsh-tting for argument's sake?

34. 407PhinFan

407PhinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I hate Scott, but until the Dolphins stand up and thank him on the field I will support the team.

That said, I am not buying any new merch at this point until Scott is out of office at least. I won't financially support the owner's decisions at this time, even though I love the team and feel it is on the upswing.

MrClean and ckparrothead like this.
  35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The problem I have here, and perhaps someone can dispel me of false notions (feel free), is if Ross is forming his own PAC that plans to support Rick Scott, then I feel like if I spend money on the Miami Dolphins, that money could go into that PAC and support Rick Scott.

Y'all try and pretend this is some kind of kumbaya let's all get together and smoke peace pipes, celebrate the colors of the rainbow and watch players of every religion score touchdowns bullsh-t. It's not. The formation of a Political Action Committee changes that because it has the potential to use organization money (i.e. money I give to the Dolphins by being a fan) to give direct support to candidates of their choosing, and evidently one candidate they've chosen is Rick Scott.

Am I wrong on that? I don't pretend to know all the answers on this kind of issue. Let me know if I'm wrong. It'll certainly make me feel better.

MrClean likes this.
  36. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That would be an uncharacteristic knee-jerk reaction by you, especially given how many owners, coaches, and players all publicly support left-wing politicians, causes, and campaigns.

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How much do you spend a year on the Dolphins? Then how much of that actually hits Ross' pocket? Then how much of that goes into the PAC?

38. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    You said:
    Tebow is an example of some fans having to put their personal beliefs aside for the teams they root for..

Here is a list of candidates Wayne H. apparently supported http://www.newsmeat.com/billionaire_political_donations/Wayne_Huizenga.php

Dan Quayle, uber-evil GW Bush and his henchwoman Katherine Harris, Mitch McConnell, even alleged sexual predator Mark Foley

It never ends.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You don't see a difference between Huizenga's own private donations versus a Political Action Committee?

40. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Hard to say. If you pay for Sunday Ticket doesnt that get filtered to all the teams?