1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ronnie Brown comments

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bofin, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Bofin

Bofin Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Check out this link:

Some not sold on Miami Dolphins' Ronnie Brown

Nice read on ronnie brown. seems to echo some opinions i've read here and on some other sites about the position and consistencey over time. IMO ronnie was a top 5 back last season and hope he comes back strong this season, also like the guy and respect his work ethic to come back from his injury.

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I can understand why people doubt him. I personally think that he has all the talent in the world but needs to prove that he can stay on the field. I don't think he's a bust as some have said in the past. However, I think that he hasn't reached his full potential due to the injuries. He's a very good player when he is healthy but that's the keyword, "healthy." He averages 11 games per season or 5 games missed a season. That has to change and you can tell that he knows that as well by his comments in the article.

adamprez2003 and texanphinatic like this.
  3. Bofin

Bofin Member

Apr 22, 2008
    exactly, its good to hear it from his own mouth though. he knows it and he wants it, he has the talent and seems to have the drive to make it happen. to me that article is very encouraging.

4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm 'scusted with the Cam Cameron section.

Pitiful.

5. Duss

Duss Season Ticket Holder

Dec 9, 2007

it's armando... but if Ronnie is Lax what is to be said by a player like Ginn who has always had a lax approach to practice, In my mind that is exactly why cameron couldnt succeeed, he pissed on brown for being lax and yet he drafted Ginn only to take the lax attitude with Ginn's Daddy, pittyful

6. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    While people may doubt him, one thing is for certain...opposing teams that know he's in the line up don't.

7. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I bet Ronnie Brown is in better shape this season than he was last season. Hopefully Ronnie can play offense all season and not have to play defense ala Cleo Lemon.
    Honestly, I don't think we have seen the best of Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams even though RB had a record breaking peformance agains't NE. I don't think we have seen the best of our offensive line yet and whenever we do then you will really see something special. Our offensive line is young and still coming together as a group and when we see them gel they will feed off of each others intensity and can be a dominating group.

PhinsRock and HULKFish like this.
  8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Hes certainly turned out as good as any of the other top 5 from his class. Smith, Benson and Cadillac are all busts, and Braylon has injury issues possibly more than Ronnie.

Ronnie has the talent, and has produced when given the chance. He just needs to keep himself on the field as Alen points out.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He can't catch the ball either. Second year in a row, at the moment, that he's leading the league in drops.

10. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

So we're supposed to suddenly believe anything that Salguero says ??
    Soon as I read 'Armando Salguero - In My Opinion' I immediately disregarded it...

Coral Reefer likes this.
  11. 2xBlown

2xBlown Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    ``I still feel I have a long way to go. I want to be one of the better backs in the league and to do that you have to be one of the most consistent backs in the league. You're not consistent until you're in there and playing a full season. I'm not there yet.''

I think it may be that quote which shows you why coaches don't always seem totally sold on him until they see him produce. I don't think you'll ever hear elite athletes describe their ambitions to be one of the best. They always want to be THE best. Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into one statement, but it seems to show the lack of fire Ronnie has off the field. On the field on the other hand, the guy is an absolute beast and definitely has the makeup to be the best.

12. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    is it lack of fire or being humble? all a matter of perspective.

13. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    But that's always been Ronnie's make-up, for as long as I watched him at Auburn until today - saying stuff like that. He wasn't at all worried about his status at Auburn with Caddy, and the two guys were the best of friends. They both always played hard, and whatever Saban might have said at the end of his Year 2 (and I heard enough to now be thankful that he's gone), the reason he drafted Ronnie in the first place was because he KNEW who his LSU defense feared the most. As a fan, as a coach, maybe Ronnie's personna is frustrating. But what do you really want?

a) someone who says what you want

b) someone who does what you want

Obviously, a c) option that says BOTH might be preferable, but of the two, I'll take b).

And that's what Ronnie does when he's been given opportunity when he takes the field. Which game was it that anyone ever saw him playing lazy or taking plays off? Which play did he not run hard, block hard, or run his route to the best of his ability? He does all that.

I'll blow off him being really friends with Cadillac and Ricky - guys he should be "competitive" with - and sentences like you referenced, because when he gets on the field, he plays like you would want everyone else to play like.

14. 2xBlown

Mar 23, 2008
    I don't think those are mutually exclusive. You can be humble and say that you strive to be the best.

I don't mean to bash Ronnie at all. He's my favorite Dolphin. I'm just pointing out the attitude that I think throws off coaches when they first get to know him.

Once they see him play, they gain confidence in him, but initially his apparent lack of desire to be the best (whether its actually there or not) makes them think that the kid doesn't have what it takes.

15. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Finrunner explained it best. Its just his personality and the way he is.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I think he has an attitude that you don't generally see in the NFL. Someone who strives for improvement because it is something he enjoys doing instead of having something to prove.

The fact that he has practically the same explosiveness after 10 months from that surgury is insane

17. 2xBlown

Mar 23, 2008
    I don't get this response. Sure, its his personality. I was in no way debating that. All I'm saying is that this comment is the part of his personality that costs him carries at the beginning of seasons.

18. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    that is true. coaches are to blame here too. they should of known this is how Ronnie is. Cam should of done his homework more when he took over the team or Mule should of explained how Ronnie is to Cam. I still think Cam was bias and liked his boy Chapman more before ronnie showed them who is the better back.

Plus, do we know the real story behind Cam & Ronnie. Was he really trying to light a fire under his ***? didn't Cam apologizing for his mistake in not using Ronnie more. That there shows it wasn't Ronnie's fault.

I still think our current coaches wanted to see how ronnie was going along & how ricky was performing before deciding who to give majority of the carries to. I still think they are not giving enough carries to ronnie though.

I honestly never heard Marvin Harrison ever say he wants to be the best but he is one of the best WR in the league. Maybe not as good when he was in his prime but he is still good over a lot of young WR in the league.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I just find him being honest. I think that he, like everyone else, realizes that he's not a top back until he's consistent and playing every game like he said. As for the elite athletes talking about being the best of the best, wasn't Barry Sanders also like Ronnie when asked about it or no?

FinSane and fins4o8 like this.
  20. 2xBlown

Mar 23, 2008
    Clearly I'm not expressing myself properly. He says that he's satisfied with being one of the better backs instead of saying he wants to be the best running back. Thats gonna throw off a coach. Guaranteed. That kind of attitude is not what they want to see.

I think if you ask Barry Sanders or Marvin Harrison they'll tell you that they strive to be the best. Thats what people who are the best do. No one becomes the best by aiming for mediocrity. The fact that Ronnie Brown does not express that bothers the coaches.

Finally, I think, we have proof of the reason why Ronnie gets shafted at the beginning of every season.

21. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    There is an old expression I try to adhere to:

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

I'd rather have someone who doesn't have much to say, doesn't beat their chest and proclaim their greatness ala Kellen Winslow Jr. and his "I'm a soldier" quote.

If the guy has to tell me how great he is, or how hard he is etc. then chances are you are not that way at all. The guy who doesn't say that and goes out and lays the lumber - that guy has my respect. Don't tell me, show me.

22. The Dude

The Dude Anti Jet

Sep 1, 2008
    ΥέΧª§
    well said.

23. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    2X... I think you are assuming MUCH to say this humble man that speaks to us in general terms, is saying the same thing to team mates and coaches... AND, that this is the reason for the slow starts.. I disagree with that proposition.. that torn acl had something to do with his reps "this" year, Cam was an idiot last year, and he held out his first year and was behind in everything, including protection packages... That's three out of four. His manner of speaking has nothing to do with his early season reps. Walter never talked himself up, neither did Barry.. I think maybe you are seeing "class" and thinking it's soft..

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's what I thought as well. Nice post Marty.

cnc66 likes this.
  25. 2xBlown

Mar 23, 2008
    Not at all.

He held out for a short period of time. 2-3 weeks I believe. That is not a reason to keep him out as much as he was out; especially at a position like RB which does not require quite the same kind of prep as a QB for instance.

Cam is certainly not an idiot in how he uses his running backs or how he runs an offence. He has a fantastic record with running backs.

This year. Yes, he had the ACL so they eased him in. I agree with that.

However, the fact remains that we as fans always wonder why Ronnie doesn't get more reps at the beginning of the season. You can't disagree with that.

Ronnie seems passive. He seems like a really nice, quiet guy. I don't think he's soft at all. Its just that he comes off as if he doesn't really have the passion. He may have all of the fire, drive and ambition on the inside, but you don't really see it until he runs in the game. I don't think its much of a stretch to believe that coaches who do not know him from previous years may think that the kid just doesn't have the heart to be a feature back. I think thats wrong, but that quote supports that point of view.

Let me repeat. He may want to be the best. He may have more ambition than anyone on this team, but due to his nature he does not let it show. I think that part of his personality rubs coaches the wrong way and we can see that year after year he has to win them over in order to get the carries.

26. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I like a mix of both. It'd be a boring world if everyone was the same: quiet and humble. There is room enough in the world for both types :) Not winslow though, that was idiotic.

At the end of the day, it's entertainment so whatever floats your boat! Look at Ali he was anything but quiet

27. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Someone needs to watch ronne pummel ellis hobbs 5 yards deep in the end zone then proceed to spike the ball like a freakin man. Thats all i need to see to know that this guy is a different animal ON the field, the kind of guy i love on my team.

28. DennyCrane

DennyCrane New Member

Jun 12, 2008

U are right on the money with the class part Marty. I had a major fight with Riv last year when I called Ronnie a bust at the start of last year. I have decided he is NOT a bust , but he does need to stay on the park ALL season long to avoid the injury prone label and finally prove he was worthy of the #2 pick.

IMO RW is still the more talented back of the 2.

29. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

with this OL coming together, combined with a QB who can manage the game, throw the ball accurately, and the new conditioning program I see this as being Ronnie's big breakout year.

30. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    More talented right now or more talented while in their prime? if in their prime i will agree with you but right now, with an over 30 year old ricky williams i would definitely say ronnie is the more talented of the two at this moment in time.

31. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    100% right on ,,,, The other thing, i think is just odd..... How in the world can one really just expect a guy to play all 16 games in the nfl "being a Running back on top of that without getting hurt at all" ,,,, seems kind of silly to me.

hugoguzman likes this.
  32. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I can remember the time when a lot of people were saying that Ronnie Brown was a bust and shouldn't have been picked at #2 in the draft. I feel very fortunate that we got Ronnie Brown and not one of the other backs who's names we all know that were taken after him. RB is a very good back and offers a lot more than those other backs that were taken after him.
    He is a class act and doesn't need to pound his chest or say anything to prove anything. I really don't think Sparano took anything into account other than his recovering from last years injury in determining what Ronnie would do to start this season. The great backs don't have to talk, they do their talking on the playing field. Just ask New England what Ronnie Brown said to them.