1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rolando McLain the answer?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by sergiomiguel2, Feb 17, 2010.

1. sergiomiguel2

sergiomiguel2 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    So after reading about every mock draft and reading here, everyone is set on Rolando McLaine...but is he a better version of Crowder, or what we need as another ILB

Although I really do not have much liking for Crowder (he is often in the wrong spot, not reading his coverage right, or whiffing big on a big play) he is a decent run stopping ILB, that means that if we have 2 run stopping ILB's we are in the same position we are now...right?
    McLain looks like a beast, I mean he ran down Tebow like he was a normal QB...I hate Tebow, but even I can admit that aint easy...
    is he a cover ILB, a blitzing ILB?
    I really dont know too much about him besides his Gator day, but from what I am reading he doesnt seem to be that ILB type we are looking for...
    is this possible? or is he just too good of a talent to pass up?

2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Mike Nolan's system has two types of ILB - the instinct freelancer and the banger. If we sign Dansby, then Dansby is the freelancer and Crowder is the banger. Same with McClain. Now you have to ask what happens to McClain in terms of some stiffness issues, how he's inconsistent with his hands, inconsistent in taking on blocks and goes 1/2 pace FAR too much.

But he's a very good player and I think personally he'd be a very good pick. But he's flawed.

3. sergiomiguel2

sergiomiguel2 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    My biggest question about him is his coverage
    we will need at least 2 Lb's in our scheme that can cover decently
    and def 1 of them must be able to take the TE down field
    does he fit either of those, or is he a liability as I see Crowder get beat often on passes

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Rolando McClain's instincts and tape study will put him in the right spot in coverage a lot, and his length (meaning, arm length and height) will help him out tremendously in zone coverage. However, he's not very quick twitch in terms of running with someone, and I question whether he can keep up with the likes of a Dallas Clark or Dustin Keller.

5. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    He can do it and he'll be better than Ayodele. But he's not Sean Weatherspoon in coverage for example.

6. sergiomiguel2

sergiomiguel2 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Now hes the LB from Missouri right?

i saw some highlight real on him, not very impressed
    was constantly taking bad angles
    getting lost in plays, and almost jogging to the ball sometimes

I might be reading it all wrong, or got a bad highlight real, but I didn't see much

7. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I think he's a very good player. Going to be a solid pro.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't recall ever seeing issues with Weatherspoon jogging to the ball. He seems to go high RPMs all the time.

That's an issue though because he moves before he knows where to go.

9. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Hey Boom...I heard Weatherspoon can also play inside (at the pro level). True?

10. sergiomiguel2

sergiomiguel2 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Well I see exactly what u mean, exactly what I mean when I said that he took bad angles and whiffed a bit

but there were a few plays were I might have lost him b/c to see on ur highlight real jogging on one play??? thats enough to make me question that b/c its ur highlight real, its edited, why add a play where it doesnt seem hes going full speed

once again, I really don't know much about him so I'm just throwing out speculation, ppl that answer me and can give me more info on him is real helpful

11. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I thought so. Then I watched Con's video.

But I know that he's talked to 3-4 teams so will be interesting to see where they project him.

The G Man likes this.
  12. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    Yeah, I saw/heard him interviewed at the Senior Bowl, and he was basically asked where he'd prefer to play. His answer was perfect, as he said wherever they team that drafts him wants him to play. I watched him pretty closely in the SB, and I have to say I'd be pretty happy to see him in aqua and orange. Next to McClain that is. :wink2:

13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I see McClain as a good player, but not great. I really don't have him much above Spikes who will probably fall out of the first and may be available with our second round pick.

14. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    I hear ya Raffy. But, that whole eye gouging incident (by Spikes) makes me a little nervous. Maybe I'm making more out of it than I should, but isn't that a red flag (re; possible character issues)?

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    As I said in the Club, the more I watch of Spikes the more I like him. He's right up there with McClain for me, maybe even higher in a short while. Really like what Spikes brings to the table. Same goes for McClain, I just think you have more options with Spikes.

16. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The thing with McClain is that he is as good with presnap reads on defense as most quarterbacks are on offense. The guy knows where the play is going just by looking at the formation, and that comes from the intensive film study he puts in. Nick Saban said that McClain is the smartest player on the field that he has ever coached. He is also an above average athlete. He's not a freak, but he's clearly better than average in the athleticism department. He's also go super human strength on the field, and he uses this strength to hold up at the point of attack when blockers are coming at him. He's among the top three linebackers in this draft at taking on blocks. His instincts also put him in the right place at the right time in coverage on most occasions. He can read the play and follow the ball better than any other linebacker in this draft. The only thing on the field that he is below average at is as a blitzer. He is what I call an interference blitzer, meaning that when he blitzes, he is usually just taking up a blocker.

I think Brandon Spikes is a bit more athletic and is more of a freelancing player than McClain is. I don't think Brandon Spikes is quite as strong as Rolando McClain. Brandon has above average strength though and is a very physical linebacker. It's almost like he craves contact. He will take out blockers so a teammate can make a play. He plays great going from sideline to sideline, though he can get caught up in the wash at times. He's not as strong at the point of attack as Rolando is. He's a much better blitzer than Rolando though. I'd say he's equal in coverage, though his experience has been dropping into the middle zones more than covering in a one on one situation.

There aren't any other inside linebackers who are even close to these two in this draft. The next best guy for a 3-4 defense is probably AJ Edds from Iowa, who would likely spend his rookie season as a nickle linebacker before being good enough in other aspects to start. Micah Johnson at Kentucky is a two down guy who is a thumper against the run, but he's like a ball in tall grass in coverage. After them, you have a bunch of guys who really don't have the size or athleticism this front office is looking for. Guys like Perry Riley at LSU, Phillip Dillard at Nebraska, and Mike McGlaughlin at Boston College.

Xeticus, Boomer and The G Man like this.
  17. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I think Rolando McLain IS the next Ray Lewis. It would be a no-brainer to put a ILB of that caliber under the same defensive scheme that Lewis flourished in, like we have now with Mike Nolan at DC.

18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I would be more concerned about it if he had been a problem player, but I've heard nothing but praise for his character outside of this one incident.

The G Man likes this.
  19. sergiomiguel2

sergiomiguel2 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    KB21
    real good read on McLain
    that makes a lot of sense, and I take strength and knowledge over athleticism any day, and he has a lot, so thats a big plus
    now my next biggest question is...do we take the chance at getting him, or make a huge push for a proven Karlos Dansby...who seems to be a very similar player? but with decent to good blitzing skills, but also 6 years older??

And if we do sign Dansby, I think we still draft an ILB, but as a project later in the draft...

20. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    Great read and analysis KB21...thank you!

Yeah, I still say I hope we take McClain at #12, assuming he's still there. I think he can be an above average, and maybe even become an elite LB at the NFL level. But, the thing that's really starting to stand out to me is his leadership and football acumen. I truly believe this is a guy we can rebuild our defense around.

JMHO...

21. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    Excellent question and point sergio. My answer is...I'd rather draft McClain, expecting him to eventually be as good as Dansby (or better?). From an organizational standpoint, you'll benefit from having him longer, and at less money. Again, JMHO.

Xeticus likes this.
  22. sergiomiguel2

sergiomiguel2 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Now you hit it right on the nose
    Money!
    but its a risk...do we wait for him, do we trade up, if we do thats wasting picks...something we need!!!

so do we take the safe route by paying up big for him...and then we can draft a WR like Dez Bryant??

i think we go after Dansby, but not pay him the max offer someone esle will
    if he bites, we get him, if someone else puts up that $$$ and he only wants that, then he goes on his way and we find option2...McLain and someone else to throw money at

23. The G Man

Mar 18, 2009
    Well, if you're asking me, I say no to trading up to get McClain (or anyone else for that matter). Draft picks are just too valuable to a team that is still in the rebuilding process.

As for signing Dansby, I know many here are really excited about the prospect of doing just that. Me, I'm not so sure. For one thing, he ain't gonna come cheap. Now, having said that, this looks to be an uncapped year. But, and in all honesty, I really don't know all the ramifications of that situation. So, looking at it strictly from the standpoint of getting a player that has just cashed in on a big contract vs. a younger player that is playing hard to get that big(ger) contract, I personally prefer the younger more motivated player.

As for Dez Bryant, and as with McClain, there's no guarantee either will be there at #12. So, I don't see a "safe" play in terms of signing Dansby then focusing on Bryant in the draft. IMO, you play the FA market looking for players that fit your need/scheme. Players that can be signed at a fair market value, or better yet...at below market value. You do so without giving up draft picks. Then, you draft to fill the needs you still have after FA. And, I think this FO has already demonstrated that's their MO.

Xeticus likes this.
  24. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't think McClain has much chance of ever being equal to Dansby in coverage. In fact, I see just as much of a chance as not that McClain becomes a player you take out in passing situations.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm intrigued with both players.

I just can't help but think there are better players at more important positions that will be available at #12.

If we're talking guys that are more James Laurinaitis than Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis...and your OLB position is woeful right now with just Cameron Wake, Charlie Anderson, Quentin Moses and Erik Walden...shouldn't you try for greatness at that position?

26. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Neither inside linebacker that is being talked about is more James Laurinaitis than Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis.

I agree that OLB needs upgrading, but there is a MUCH better chance Miami is able to draft a starter at OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round than there is of them drafting a starter at ILB that isn't named McClain or Spikes. McClain and Spikes are by far the best ILB prospects to be in the draft since Patrick Willis. Both are better prospects than last year's 15th pick Brain Cushing, and I think they are better prospects than 2008's 10th overall pick Jerod Mayo.

Xeticus and The G Man like this.
  27. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I wouldn't worry so much about the 6 years older stuff. It never hurts to have veterans who are in the prime of their career.

The problem with McClain is that you can't just put your eggs in that basket hoping he's going to be there, and I don't know if he's quite special enough that they'll want to part with draft picks to move up for him.

If I were Miami I'd still make a play at Dansby. If it's just too much money they can always move onto Plan B.

28. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    There are very few players that I would be willing to trade a bunch of draft picks to move up in the draft to get. This year, there are two that I would do that for. One is Ndamukong Suh. He's simply the best prospect in the draft. It is rare to find a defensive tackle that can play both one gap and two gap techniques. Suh is one that can do both. He has the quickness and athleticism to shoot the gap in a one gap scheme, but he also has the strength and power to stand his blocker up, read both gaps, and shed the blocker to make the play. He's simply a stud. I don't know if I have ever seen another defensive tackle where I felt he could play the 1 technique and 3 technique in the 4-3 defense as well as play both nose tackle and defensive end in a two gap 3-4. He's a stud.

The other is Eric Berry. Eric Berry is simply a player who makes your entire defense when he's on the field. He's a safety that hits like a linebacker and covers like a cornerback. He can even play receiver in a pinch. Great athlete. Great instincts. Overall, he's one of the best safeties I have evaluated in a long time.

The G Man likes this.
  29. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Is it possible we could land McClain in the first round and Spikes in the 2nd round? Double down like last year. Universaldraft guys what do you think of a situation like that? What about one of those two and AJ Edds later? What do you think of our LB corps in those situations?

30. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    3-4 dictates pass rushing outside linebackers
    no one seems to get it
    :knucks:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  31. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    which is why I'm hoping Greg Hardy is still around in the 2nd round

32. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I think he can play inside in the 3-4 if he gains a little weight he is only 9 pounds lighter then Ray Lewis but IMO he would be better suited for the 4-3 defense. i could see someone like the colts taking him in the first round.