1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock pioneer Bo Diddley dies at age 79

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by ILPhinFan88, Jun 2, 2008.

1. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Bo Diddley, a founding father of rock 'n' roll whose distinctive "shave and a haircut, two bits" rhythm and innovative guitar effects inspired legions of other musicians, died Monday after months of ill health. He was 79.

Diddley died of heart failure at his home in Archer, Fla., spokeswoman Susan Clary said. He had suffered a heart attack in August, three months after suffering a stroke while touring in Iowa. Doctors said the stroke affected his ability to speak, and he had returned to Florida to continue rehabilitation.

The legendary singer and performer, known for his homemade square guitar, dark glasses and black hat, was an inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, had a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame, and received a lifetime achievement award in 1999 at the Grammy Awards. In recent years he also played for the elder President Bush and President Clinton.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20080602/D9122UR80.html

2. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

Rock pioneer Bo Diddley dies...

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Bo Diddley, a founding father of rock 'n' roll whose distinctive "shave and a haircut, two bits" rhythm and innovative guitar effects inspired legions of other musicians, died Monday after months of ill health. He was 79.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=317054&GT1=7702

RIP Bo the worlds gonna miss ya...

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    RIP Bo Diddley.

4. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    bummer.. Bo was a "one of"... got to see him a couple times, always good.

5. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Certainly unique.

RIP

6. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    Man....I remember first seeing him perform at my elementary school, and then other places locally over the years.

Not to be down on the man, but he had lost it over the years. Prob. the worst performance I ever saw of his was when he played w/ Bobby McFerrin in '04 or '05. There was a few sparse moments, but it seemed more a tribute that failed than an encore by a blues master.:sad:

I'm glad he's finally at peace (he had been very sick the past 2 yrs). RIP.

7. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine