1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RG3 among those likely to disappoint in 2013 (2 Dolphins included)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Jul 29, 2013.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Some of you have attended training camp and follow the team A LOT more closely than I'm able to over in Afghanistan. Does Jeff Reynolds have any valid points or is just arm chairing it without actually SEEING these players in action for the season...the typical Dolphins bashing?

smahtaz likes this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Filler more or less, if Bline can top 1k with rookie THill, Wallace is a lock.

As for Martin, we'll see, according to the commentariat no young player ever improves.

3. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Didn't attend camp, but I'd say the skepticism of j mart is logical. Then again, we don't have huge expectations of him which is what this list is. But mike wallace has proved himself and we needed him, and payed less than other teams were willing to. He's helping our offense even when the ball isn't thrown his way.

4. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

No one could possibly know how things will turn out. Martin is bigger and more athletic than last year. Wallace is really fast and appears dedicated to his craft. We're going to need a few games to see what's up.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    No comment, just gonna wait til we see him in this preseason to see if his new body improved his game to the level of average.

GMJohnson and Bumrush like this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Making this list negates it. If you expect someone to disappoint, how did they disappoint?

7. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Hmmmm, and if they don't disappoint and excel this season, then they disappoint by not disappointing? :tongue2:

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Oh sure, just give out the recipe to think the universe into unbeing.

If time and space collapse on themselves tomorrow, just blame Dupree....that bastard.

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Love RG's game but damn is he getting annoying to watch..gettin a little to full of himself it seems.

Ducken likes this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You just blew my mind!

11. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Like this???????????

[​IMG]

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, I see you are acquainted with "military logic"...:lol:

Let's see what happens when Wake/Jordan/Vernon/Shelby all go up against Martin.

I know some of those guys play the other DE position, but they seem to flop guys at times.

13. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Yeah, And this article is ignoring the fact that bline is still here. I think hartline may be one of the best #2s in the league now. If hartline doesn't open up things for Wallace, then the reverse will certainly happen

14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Barring Megatron type stats Mike Wallace will always be a disappoint to some because contracts set the expectations. Right or wrong thats the way it is. If Wallace goes out and gets us 1100-1200 yards and 7-10 TDs well with him Hartline and Gibson etc we'll be just fine as a unit. Id love to add Laurent Robinson as well. Can never have too many good red-zone guys.

Martin is a more difficult player for some to evaluate (OL usually are) but he did play better down the stretch. If he spent the offseason in the weight room he should be at least average. Ive felt from late last year he'd be just fine and nothing thats been done has changed that. Even if hes not a pro-bowl type Im not sure you necessarily need that to be a great team.

Ducken and Fin-Omenal like this.
  15. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

your logic sir, is illogical. carry on...

16. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Wow, we haven't even attempted a single rush yet we already lack a reliable running game. Bummer.

GMJohnson likes this.
  17. Dol Fan99

Dol Fan99 Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Am I being the "die hard" Dolphins fan and speaking from my heart when I say that I don't feel for even a second that we have any hole in our running game? I don't get it... Hopefully I'm not getting my hopes up but I'm extremely comfortable with Lamar Miller and Gillislee and Thomas

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What's funny about that is the same punditry will proclaim "running backs are easily replaceable" so when you do replace one..of course then they are unreliable.

This is one of a host of reasons why I rarely bother with the commentariat.

19. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    What if both Wallace and Jonathan Martin play pretty much the way they did last season?? Finishing near rock bottom in performance rankings.

If they do I won't be disappointed, it's what I expect, it's what most people should expect. Ireland is a complete idiot.

If they do improve, I would be pleasantly surprised.

I would be very disappointed if Ryan Tannehill didn't improve significantly, but there is a very good chance this weak OL will ****** the growth of the rest of the offense and the team in general.

IMO, Ireland's neglect of the OL should have already got him fired.

20. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    "Neglect" (meaning: to pay no or too little attention to) has to be the wrong word. John Jerry, Mike Pouncey, Jonathan Martin, and Dallas Thomas were all taken high, most 1st and 2nd rounders, in the last few Dolphin drafts. Also, he went after Richie Incognito in FA, and he turned into a Pro Bowler as a Dolphin. Additionally, he tried to keep Jake Long (another of his picks from way back). When that price was too high, he went and got Clabo.

None of that screams, or even whispers, "NEGLECT!"

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    smh

ToddPhin and Ducken like this.
  22. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    Wow I could not disagree with you more. I expect to see Wallace have 1000 yds and 5+ tds and Martin become a serviceable LT with more improvement the next year. IMVHO Jeff did a fantastic job this offseason improving several areas of the team, keeping the team young and setting the team up for sustainable improvement for the next several years.

mullingan and ToddPhin like this.
  23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't think neglect is what were questioning, more like does our GM have a weakness when it comes to evaluating Olineman..we'll see at the end of this preseason, we'll have enough film to look at when it comes to his guys.

24. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Knight...these are a couple of the questions facing this team, that's true. But neither are anything we didn't already have reservations about...

I love the Wallace acquisition and we spent a lot of money, but someone was going to pay him, it just happened to be us...is he worth $60m...who really cares what he's paid. Is able to take the top off the D...yes. Is he going to help the other WRs on our team with his speed...yes. Is he going to get 125 receptions and 2000 receiving yards...doubtful, but that's NOT why we acquired him, certainly not in this offense... Is he a one trick pony...doubtful. We haven't really seen much yet, but what we have looks promising. The thing is, if he can come close to his production in pitts so far (1150 yrds, 80 receptions, 8 tds) he's going to be better than anyone we've had since the Duper and Clayton era... Too many of the analysts seem to dis us because of what we paid for him, but none of that will matter if he at least matches what he's done so far in his career....

As to Martin, he's been quiet in camp, but then they've only had 2 or 3 full contact practices and we all know that you can't judge the OL/DL guys until that point. I know that the guys we've had on this forum that have been to camps so far have not mentioned him much at all, good or bad. We do know that he bulked up some from last year and seems to have grown into his body and conditioning as a pro. That's a great sign. We know that he was a LT in college, protecting A. Luck. We also know that he struggled with consistency at RT and when thrown in at LT struggled some too. Yes, the jury is out on him... But then we'll see what it looks like in live contact...

To most of us, the real key to both of those guys is THill's progression, which DOES seem to have improved. He is surer, more in control of the O and looks like he's in the process of taking that next step to becoming what we envision for him to be... I believe at this point, he's had 5 or 6 practice sessions without an INT. The O does seem to be somewhat behind the D, but for this time of year, I'd think that's normal. We still have some questions...

The OL is in flux early in camp, that is probably the most unsettling for us. They are juggling the OL particularly the interior line around. JJ is hurt and will miss much of the rest of camp. Pouncey has been experimented with at RG. Dallas Thomas has been moved up to LG and RI moved to RG (arguably his natural position). Josh Samuda has been used at C with Pouncey being moved. These are moves that we, as fans, haven't really been overly impressed with by the staff. It could be their using this time to figure out their OL depth, since we know on game days there are usually only 7 OL. We don't know about that. It could be that Thomas has shown enough to be put up with the #1s ??

This piece is really some fluff that has been written while waiting for real news (PS games to start) to fill the web site, imo... I wouldn't get too worried about things until we get further along in TC....

mullingan and Ducken like this.
  25. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The entire Pitts team did poorly last year, as did our team...that's why they finished near the bottom of the stats line, but even you would take the 8 TDs from Wallace, right ?? Who was the last WR to produce 8 tds for us...Chambers ??

Of course everything is Ireland's fault.... It sure gets old...

Ducken, ToddPhin and Fin D like this.
  26. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    plus the contract he gave Jake Grove after dumping satele, drafting donald Thomas and Shawn Murphy in his first draft.

Finrunner likes this.
  27. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Hey Philbanfan, your rant is about 365 days too late. try to catch up.

28. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Not really worried about Wallace...can't say the same about Martin. Honestly I'm not too sure Dallas Thomas can't do a better job at LT.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    since before we drafted him I thought that if folks were putting any credence that Martin protected Lucks blindside they would be overrating his draft stock..Luck is absolutely already elite at breaking the pocket, sidestepping rushers, and manueverability..he saved Jon Martin a lot from some pretty embarrassing stats..im not jumping to conclusions this year from a scrimmage, cause I did see some other plays where he played with good technique, but whenever I see that Luck reference I think it's very misleading.

mullingan likes this.
  30. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    You mean the same people who proclaimed that a Good Left Tackle was not really necessary and that they were easily replaced?

31. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know if both of these guys will disappoint. But I can certainly see why they would be two guys that you would isolate as guys that COULD disappoint. However, you have a list of TEN players from the entire NFL and TWO of them are on one team?

Come on, dude. You're begging to be accused of bias. And they might even be right. Picking Mike Wallace, yeah yeah ok whatever, it's a totally obvious choice. Everybody's either on one side of the fence or the other on that one. But where did Jon Martin come from? The whole list is for the most part quarterbacks, high draft picks, or other very high profile players/free agents. Then you have Bryan Bulaga and Jon Martin kind of coming out of nowhere standing out as neither of them is a top 10 type pick, major free agent, quarterback or marquee player.

32. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Wallace will disappoint b/c he'll never put up stats to justify the contract. But if he gives us 7 - 10 TDs and 1000 yards or so while being the threat that keeps the Ss shaded over and hesitating before taking a step away from him towards a runner or other open receiver then I'm happy.

As for Martin, my expectation is for him to be average. I thought Long was average last season so if we get the same without spending another $10 mill/per or so then it's a win. Now IMO Martin was below average last season so he needs to improve to not disappoint. I just don't feel the amount of improvement needed to reach average was all that much. I thought his footwork was at least average already. I feel he needed to improve his strength and punch. We saw picks of him pulling that truck as part of his workouts and his bod certainly looks better this year so my guess is that his strength is probably improved. We'll see if it's improved enough. I think our scheme will usually want the ball out in under 3.0 secs and that the additions of Gibson, Keller and Wallace will make that easier for RT. So for the majority of the plays Martin just needs to be the guy that doesn't let the end run past him or over him with barely a pause. If he does that then the end he's blocking will be a non factor on most pass plays. If he does that and avoids giving up some high publicity sack then he won't be a disappointment. I think he has the skill set to do that.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    To me, those numbers will prove his worth relative to his contract, because that kind of production will most likely translate into more wins.

35. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I expect Martin to struggle at LT and it wouldn't surprise me if the LT position is the number one priority for the Dolphins in the 2014 draft. I have never felt he would be a quality NFL offensive lineman and the fact he is the starting LT for this team is a real concern for me.

As far as Wallace is concerned. I think him just being on the field will open up the field for others to make plays. His speed will keep opposing defenses from stacking the box and it will give more one on one coverage to the other wide receivers. His receptions may not end up being what is expected from a receiver who signed for the money he did but, he will be worth the money he will receive just because of the pressure he will put on opposing defenses.

36. Thunderkyss

Thunderkyss Member

Sep 10, 2012
    I must say I'm getting a little bit worried. I'm expecting big things from Mike Wallace, so far (& it is early) he's been a no show.

What do you guys attribute this to?

37. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I attribute it to preseason.

cuchulainn likes this.
  38. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS

Wallace has had a groin injury and didn't play in the HOF game. He was in the Jags game, but the plays weren't there. He and Tannehill were laughing about the Jags trying to bait them with pre-snap looks into taking down field shots, but they didn't fall for the trap and didn't force plays that weren't there. Wallace did what he was supposed to in these situations - he drew attention of the safties and did a bit of down field blocking.

It's the preseason. Relax, it'll happen.

39. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Thomas and Satele are starting for the Colts.