1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rewatched the buc game.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Aug 17, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm gonna focus on players were not sure of..

James had a clean first drive..

Thomas got beat really bad once on the drive which allowed a rushed throw and a hard hit on the Qb.

I thought Misi had a decent first drive, quick recognition of the backs on outlets, and had a pressure on a blitz..not bad.

2nd offensive series...Dallas Thomas again gets beat very hard, outmatched..tfl.

Thomas gets beat again To the inside pressure, rushes the throw gets called for a flag.

Mitchell's hustle stops a third and five, got to the sideline from the dtackle position to push Luke out of bounds.

Still in first quarter, Thomas gets beat bad for a tfl..that's four negative plays in one quarter..PFF would be having a conniption, he was best so bad he whiffed on the defender and hit his own guy.

Follows it up with a poor pass protection rep..Tannehill bailed him out...that's five.

And follows it up with a very bad rep on the Tannehill fumble, that's all on Thomas and that's 6 negative plays in basically one quarter..dude should be benched this week..

Dion Jordan stumbles trying to cover the tight end allows the pass to be completed inside the twenty, looks like his legs were heavy.

Finnegan was solid in some coverage, looks quick and seems to have good feel.

Saw a nice read by Misi and McCain as the Sam, McCain exploded to the Los to take on the block, Misi followed suit and finished..

Misi flowin down the Los to make a tackle, he's playin better this game.

OV on that sack in the 2nd quarter just out muscled and out hustled the other guy..he's an impressive bull, and he's becoming a bit crafty.

False start on Dallas Thomas.

Ok, now were cooking, the kid McCain lines up in the wide 6 tech, play goes to the other side, he bursts unblocked and runs it down, tfl.

I watched Dion for 7 reps on that drive in the 2nd quarter..nothing.

Rishard Matthews had two beautifully coordinated catches on the Moore drive before the half...big, strong, great hands, hi level athleticism, man we are deep..Wallace and Hartline better not get comfy with these three cats on their tails, their all three tough kids who play a physical style of ball.

Our first round pick has played steady as she goes, has very nice lateral recovery speed.

Turner playin next to James for a bunch of reps, I think with Thomas shi&ing himself on the field tonite you have to give these two equal reps with the first team next week and make your decision from there.

Holy crap, McCain did it again, this time coming all the way from the outside backer position, his speed in pursuit allows him to track the ball carrier all the way down the Los, once again unblocked, nails the guy to cause the fumble.

Just watched will Davis come up and get low on a back comin full steam on a sweep, well down, showed toughness.

Dion get His first real pressure on the Glennon fumble.

Billy Turner gets to the 2nd level with authority on a darkwa run.

Just like he did in college will Davis is leading the nation in passes defensed..I don't know if it's true but I would bet, and I'm counting the bogus pass interference ones the last two games..

Fede gets his sack in the fourth, raises his hands like Tom hanks in castaway ( look what I have created, fire) great motor on the play, showed strength.

Yeah man, nice play by Anthony Johnson, stands his man up at def end, rips him away with strength and aggressiveness and sticks the ball carrier, that wasn't his first good play either..

Someone put an APB on jelani Jenkins...where u at man..

Just watched Jordan play like a girl..no fight in that boy right now..

I hope Fede completely dedicates himself to his craft,there's room for physique improvement..it's not bad, but there's room.

Holy sh@&... One minute to go in the game, McCain lines up at def end in a three point, explodes and rips at the same time, blocker goes to the ground he gets the Qb and rips him to the ground disrupting the whole play...great play...

They threw Dion Jordan in there on that last drive for about 5 reps...nothing...he looked like he looked last week, no plan, no set up..

And last but not least, tony hills played another clean game except one small whiff, dude has an NFL body, it's symmetrical, he's strong, he most def plays with heart and hustle and has the best kickslide among all the backups..I wouldn't be suprised to see him move up..he's got potential and I expect him to be at least put on practice squad..I like him and I think he deserves to be on the roster..

first&goal, Sippi, HULKFish and 37 others like this.
  2. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Need a post of the game , missed most if it and it was a poor feed. Thanks for the detailed break down .

3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Let me know if there is anything specific.

4. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I said it last week and I'll say it again tonight, there's something about Will Davis that makes me believe he's going to be a stud. I know we were all impressed with him last preseason, but he looks really awesome out there. He's always making plays around the ball.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He made a really great athletic play on the bogus pass int..the follows right back up with another PD, then comes up and sticks the back on a sweep..we know he's smart, we know he had one of the best combines, we know he can ball hawk,can he put it all together..he's definitely heading in that direction..

HULKFish, RoninFin4 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  6. dolfan22

As always I appreciate the insight anyone can offer for their evaluations of the game .

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It will be there, I've heard from the sources mouth, just another advantage of the club and why it's worth it...in ridiculous that he cuts it up for us like that

dolfan22 likes this.
  8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I still would inquire about Boone just to see what's going on, I say that without knowing his game, but we can't leave tannehill out to dry this year

9. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Nothing on our TE's?

10. dolfan22

Agreed , worth it just for that.

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sims had a nice catch. On a curl, Egnew on a quick out then he turned upfield.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Oh, and Abramson is reporting that Clay has told him he will be ready for the regular season..

13. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Will Davis is proving to be the surprise of camp for me. I'll be honest, he was my least favorite pick last year cuz he seemed to avoid tackling at all costs, looking like a little boy playing with men. But he's starting to show he can play in the big league now and showing he might be our best DB while the ball is in the air.

14. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Tony Hills is 29 and been around the league. He isn't PS eligible.

He has always been a talented OL and I wanted to draft him but I;m glad we didn't draft him.

He is as injury prone as they come, and once he gets dinged up his play falls off the table.

I doubt he makes it through preseason, but yes, he can play.

15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

It looked to me like Nate Garner pass blocked at LT better than he ever has. Benton must have gotten him to correct some flaws in his technique.

SICK likes this.
  16. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Any Jordie Tripp thoughts? I couldn't really notice anything from him tonight and it was driving me crazy how the announcers never named anyone or mentioned when we made subs.

Do you watch it the replay with a roster list of jersey numbers?

17. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    I think if you wanted improvement from last weeks game, we got it bigtime in most areas besides run blocking, our passing game looks good right now, i have no idea if we can sustain that with
    no running game, but Tannehil and Moore had time to throw most of the game.

i have to ask is there a deeper receiver core 1-5 in this league ? I´m not sure right now. Wallace had a bad game, but that long ball to him was clearly PI, at least to me.

I think the Defense improved bigtime to last week, they were fighting to get to 200 yards until that last ****ing drive of the game, i don´t get the LB hate, they couldn´t run and pass on us for most of the game, i haven´t seen a dolphins preseason game in a while were the backups performed this good.

5 PD´s , 5 Sacks, 8 QB Hits, 4 TFL´s

12 Penalties for 111 yards has to be adressed, but we are always clean during the season, so my alarm clock has not gotten off yet

here is a little tease from the game

[video=youtube_share;DbFbOwxWb1M]http://youtu.be/DbFbOwxWb1M[/video]

18. Cass

Cass Active Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bristol, England
    My biggest takeaway: Dallas Thomas is toast.

HULKFish, Bpk, RickyBobby and 2 others like this.
  19. Mitchellenman

Mitchellenman Active Member

Jul 7, 2014
    UK
    Only watched the 1st half last night, but watched the rest back this morning. Overall, very impressed. Pre season results in sport don't really matter, but I did have a smile on my face when I saw the final score. Defense was better last night, and the offense still excites me. Roll on next Saturday for the Cowboys!

20. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

That was a nice fake from the endzone view...sold it well.

cdz12250 likes this.
  21. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Well, if nothing else, sounds like our OT's are getting their jobs done on the outside. I have yet to hear Albert or James name in a bad light.

Bpk likes this.
  22. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Boone wants to get paid like a top 5-10 guard, which is overpaying (like every other FA). that's a lot of money - not sure the management wants to shell that out. I'd rather they just bench Dallas Thomas and go with Smith. at least that way, maybe we can run the friggin ball

23. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm going to try and rewatch the game today but my initial impression was that one outside runs anywhere off tackle we aren't blocking the weakside or point of attack well at all. One or the other has the potential to blow up a play. Both are a recipe for disaster.

My other impression was that as a whole our pass blocking is light years ahead of last season. Dallas Thomas looked like the lone weak spot in that area. Hopefully Billy Turner shows something and takes his spot. Ill live with rookie mistakes over what Thomas provides.

Defensively I think Ellerbe is in trouble. Starters don't play that deep into games if their spot is secured.

Love me some Will Davis. That "penalty" was just a great play. Not sure how you can call that a penalty but not the holding deep down the field against Wallace.

Speakinf of Wallace. He has to catch that WR screen. He had room for a positive play. Dont blame him for the deep ball because it looked to me like he slowed because he was grabbed. The play itself looked better than last season. Ryan let it rip without hesitation and put it where it needed to be. Maybe a bit more air under it but its a learning process.

Overall I was happy with what I saw. We have issues but also fixed some glaring issues from last season.

24. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I agree...Shelley Smith graded out higher than Boone in run blocking, pass-pro (both are bad), and penalties.

25. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Thomas has to go for sure, we can't do this again this year. I'd put Smith back at RG where he was basically all of camp to both improve our run blocking and at least not get embarrassed like last night. Let Thomas and Turner both continue to work on their strength and technique as backups to start the year.

We gotta have some balance in the run game, this up-tempo Chip Kelly style really works when you have that run game (maybe ONLY when you have a run game - long term). We need Pouncey back and some better RG play for sure.

26. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Everyone is banging the drum for Thomas to be removed at RG, and rightly so. I think one other thing people should be clamoring for is Lamar Miller relegated to a small role.

I'm sorry, but he just isn't good enough. You can't do anything with Gerald McCoy eating your RG's lunch off the bat. However, you can do better when you receive adequate blocking. I thought Damien Williams ran the ball better than he did. Now, I'm not saying Williams should play over Miller, because I don't think he should yet.

I'm just hoping Knowshon Moreno can run with some power and vision. That will help this team's running game. I think we need to start to come to grip as fans that Lamar Miller just stinks, and unless he's getting 2013 Philadelphia Eagles blocking, he's not going to be the guy we believed he could be.

A few other things -
    * Anyone see the video Andrew Abramson just put up? The deep ball to Wallace? I can reproduce if needed, but it basically shows that the throw was pretty good. According to Wallace it was a great throw. The point is that is shows a clear hold that wasn't called and it slowed Wallace down. Is it a perfect throw to the right shoulder? Could Wallace make the catch? I dunno, but I'll take Wallace's comments and the clear holding and say it could have been a big play.
    * Our WR depth is so good. Mike Wallace might be the 3rd best WR on our team with Matthews, Hartline, Gibson, and possibly Landry more productive than him.
    * Our D-Line dominated and can be really good...like always
    * We suck at tackling. They need to stop being pansies and allow guys to be taken to the ground in practice. We suck at it because we don't practice it.

After 2 games, the only real improvement I'm seeing from this team is - we are light years ahead in pass blocking, we have so much depth at WR (passing game will be better), and I think our CB depth has improved.

But, the things that hurt us last year remain un-changed - crap running game, unable to stop the run, poor tackling, not enough big plays on offense (specifically running game)

27. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's almost certainly been said before, but Will Davis reminds me of Terrell Buckley. He's going to get you big plays, but he's also going to give up big plays and sometimes the balance is going to be very much in question.

I'm not sure the problem was mostly the line last night. I think there were a couple issues where the backs missed holes and ran into the backs of their blockers.

I wish they made the effort to go out and get a high quality back last off-season. A well-rounded zone runner with pass catching skills would be great in this offense.

Bpk, DPlus47 and RoninFin4 like this.
  28. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    3rd game the starters play the half. I would go as far as splitting quarters with Turner/Smith against the starters and then pick a guy. Thomas you sit...have him keep working on his build/strength and see if he can't make a play for LG next year with hopefully improved blocking on both ends. We need someone who can run block from that RG spot especially with James at RT and until Pouncey gets back.

I'd also split the LB's for the half next game. Throw em in there for the first quarter. Light a fire under the starters rear ends. Then throw them in for the 2nd. Let the best men win.

Bpk and RoninFin4 like this.
  29. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Is it wrong that I've already started watching Melvin Gordon highlights and games?

DPlus47, PerfectTeam and Disgustipate like this.
  30. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Tannehill made some big mistakes that have gone largely unnoticed. We noticed a few live at the stadium but I still expected him to come out better in the film review than he did. There was a stretch where he kept making questionable to outright bad decisions.

It started with that lucky third down he converted to Matthews. That was NOT who he was throwing it to, and indeed Matthews shouldn't have even been there, as I believe he ran the wrong route. You don't plan to have two receivers setting up so close to one another as Matthews and Sims did on that play. Anyway Tannehill threw the ball to Sims and that was a BAD choice because Lavonte David was baiting him into that and definitely could have intercepted him. Sims was doubled. McCoy tips the ball at the line and sends it to Matthews. That's just dumb luck but the poor decision was still a poor decision.

A few plays later Tannehilll is rolling right and we saw this at the stadium, Hartline was running with him and was not even covered. Wide open, and directly in Tannehill's sight lines. Hit him and it might've even been a TD. The broadcast doesn't show very well how open Hartline was but he was open. Tannehill gets tunnel vision. He waits and waits and waits, keeps rolling and eventually tries to force it to a covered Mike Wallace on the sideline. Could've been a TD.

Couple more times I thought Tannehill made spotty decisions. On third down he's got a clear numbers advantage to his right, and both Wallace and Hartline are running curls against off coverage. But the coverage on Wallace showed much softer presnap and with the numbers advantage that was probably the side you want to work. But Tannehill locked in on his binky Brian Hartline the whole time, was rewarded with a pass breakup by Johnthan Banks who played Hartline tight and broke on him just as the ball arrived. But Wallace was wide open on his curl because his man was playing much softer and they had a numbers disadvantage to worry about.

There was another play it seemed Tannehill forced the ball between two defenders to Sims even though the RB was flaring into the flat against deep off shell coverage, had all kinds of space in front of him.

This is the kind of poor decision making that pops up with Tannehill sometimes and causes the games where he has 3+ turnovers. And let's not give him a free pass for turning the ball over on that sack, either. Dallas Thomas sucked and let McCoy thru obviously, but that shouldn't mean automatic sack-strip.

Change up a few RANDOM variables and that comes off looking like a flat out BAD night for Tannehill. But he's gonna get away with it and people are gonna continue to call it a "solid" or "efficient" night because he got lucky in a lot of ways.

Hiruma78, Bpk, DPlus47 and 3 others like this.
  31. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

I was at the game as well, I came away feeling the same way. Just seen bad decision after bad decision. Open guys where he went elsewhere.

He was extremely pressured up the middle, basically on every play because Thomas got destroyed every play. But the fact remains.

It's the first game I've been to since getting Wallace, and I know it was preseason, but the Bucs didn't really respect his speed while he was on the field. One on one with no safety over the top, those are times Wallace needs to be dominate.

Bpk and ckparrothead like this.
  32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    damn I thought he was a 2nd year player..

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He didn't do to much last nite, I'm not sure if he's far along mentally at this point to be a starter, their was a time where Trunsik had to yell at him where to line up..no splash plays..I'm gonna ISO him today

34. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    There were a couple of third down plays where I thought Ryan had better options, but I sort of summed it up as "You dont pass up a first down by moving to your next read if your current read is open"

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    damien Williams the backs vision seems to be a bit poor..I'm hoping for Thomas to stay the third back, if we keep a fourth it doesn't matter who, I wouldn't though.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

I didn't like the way he handled his only roll out..there's no such thing as a wasted play ryan..

Bpk likes this.
  37. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Last year Id have agreed but it really looks like this season so far Will Davis has been playing consistently tight coverage and taking the right risks.

38. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Agreed, but its one play in a vacuum. If it becomes a trend, you worry.

39. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    How did Mitchell look?

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That's dissapointing..