1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resume...

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Nappy Roots, Dec 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Alright, so ive had quite a bid of bad luck i guess you could say lately, for everyone that knows about my grandma knows the deal with that. Well because of that, i took some time off work to be in Bradenton where all my family is, because they needed me. My grandpa and mom specifically needed me. so i took some time off, but apparently even though my disctrict manager knew i was telling the truth, my regional manager thought i was lieing. well i went out with some friends for the first time since being back in bradenton for my grandma about a week, week and a half ago. Low and be hold, my RM is there, and he thinks because im out, ive been lieing to him. He starts chewing me out, calling me a liar to my face, well long story short, i dont care who you are, you dont disrespect me like that, specially when it involves the health of my grandmother.

so now im looking for a job, bleh. i need one asap. i interview really well, good with people, and dress the part when i interview. but i can never get a call back and i think its because my resume doesnt look great...anyone got any tips, what program to use, anything?

thanks

2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    In this economy only the most persistent will get the good jobs available, so make yourself known. Before even asking about a position, request to speak to the manager. If it's a big company, visit human relations and ask questions about the hiring procedures and the person who will make the final decision about employment. If possible, place your resume in that person's hands...nobody else's. The biggest thing you can do is to put a face with the resume you are delivering.

If you are worried about the resume itself, search the web for some examples. A good resume will be one color, less than one page long, and should skim over all your highlights with as few words as possible while still sounding professional.

Also, make sure you include a cover letter. It should be three short paragraphs...the first who you are and what position you are applying for (2 sentences), the second why you are the best candidate for that position(3-5 sentences), and the third is how to contact you and when you would be available to start (2-3 sentences). Most employers will read this letter before even glancing at your resume, which gives you a massive advantage over others since you can explain how you working at an ice cream stand at age 14 taught you advanced economics and made you the perfect candidate to run their nuclear submarine. Write a seperate cover letter for every business you apply to, and make sure it is attention grabbing and perfect English.

Nappy Roots likes this.