1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reshad Jones: I want to be recognized as one of the premiere safeties in this league

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Not So Fast, Jul 4, 2013.

1. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I'm looking at the fact the team could get him for a lot less now then when he puts up another good year. Just like the Giants just did with Cruz and got him for a relative bargain compared to our Mike Wallace deal. With the team needing all the cap room they can get for next season's large group of FA's and limited cap room and Tannehill's hopeful big extension in 2-3 years...getting guys under good contracts is a priority to me.

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I didn't say he does want that.

Seriously bro, pay attention. I'm saying he could want that, but you don't know. And since you don't know its kinda nuts for you to be saying its an absolute mistake.

Cruz is not an example of anything, because Cruz has played at higher level for more than one year while Jones hasn't.

You know what forget all of this and start here: Tell me right now how much Jones is asking for. I'll wait.

You don't know. Since you don't know, then you don't know its a mistake to not sign him right now. Do you understand that yet?

3. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If Jones want a Weddle contract he's **** outta luck b/c he won't be getting it any time before 2015. Ireland has him for the last year of his rookie deal and a franchise tag year in 2014, for the sake of argument and b/c I refuse to look it up lets say that comes to a total of 2 yrs and 9 million. That's the starting point for any serious negotiation. A 3 year 15 million or 4 year 24 million dollar type contract makes sense for the team and I'm guessing Jones is asking for more than that.

If he wants to actually get more than that he's gonna have to ball his *** off for not 1, not 2...

4. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    That's understandable. I'm just not sure it's safe to assume that Jones is willing to accept a "good contract" at this point. IMO it's more likely he wants a "bad contract". Not saying he wont get what he's asking for eventually but I see no reason to give it to him right now.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    It is not a fact that they could get him for a lot less now. That's the part you're flat out making up.

6. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Thank you. You get it. I was beginning to think I was taking crazy pills here ;p All I am saying is if Jones is open to a non FA contract and a hometown, 1 year early discount by all means get it done. Those contracts do happen as was proven this week. Jones was the first to say he wanted a new contract, not Ireland. If he wants the huge contract....he'll have to play for it.

7. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    The only way they could get him cheaper is if he doesn't play well this year and they still somehow would want to re-sign him in the off season. He plays anything like he did this past offseason and yes he will be significantly more expensive. How is this a hard concept for you to figure out? Especially when we just saw a 2nd tier (maybe 3rd tier) WR do the exact same thing.

Especially when you push the fact Cruz is more established by a year as a top player.......but he just signed a lot less then he would have next year. Are you going to sit here and tell me that Cruz wouldn't get much more next year? That's actual factual proof of how it works.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Jesus christ.

You don't know what Jones and his agent are willing to accept right now. You are making up the fact that he wants less money now then he will later. You're guessing that is the case, but you don't effing know it.

What do you not get about that?

9. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Don't get your panties in a wad when I've answered you at least HALF A DOZEN TIMES already on this and you keep going back to it. Maybe read my damn opinion on that the first, second or third time I've answered it.

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Seriously?

That says you know for a fact he'll take less money now. And you don't. You can get incredulous all you want, but you're the one literally making things up as fact.

11. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Definition: 'Could' is used to talk about theoretical possibility and is similar in meaning to 'might'. Example: It could rain later. Take an umbrella.

Not a definitive statement.

But yes if the reports are to be believed no one knows what's being asked because supposedly there are no contract talks right now (Heh..yah right). The ironic part of this whole thing is...I've said I don't expect Ireland to do it anyways. I've always stated it's my opinion that it's a smart thing to do if your sure about the player. Ireland would shock me if he did sign him before the season (but that wouldn't be the first time..he's thrown the odd curve ball now and then.)