1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report: Orton trade to Miami not 'imminent'

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dgb11112, Jul 28, 2011.

  1. dgb11112

    dgb11112 Hall Of Fame

    622
    418
    0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Atlanta
    Nice Irish!

    According to the Denver Post, a Kyle Orton trade was no longer "imminent" as of late Wednesday night.
    Orton attended morning and evening meetings at Broncos headquarters, and the team expects him back for the first training camp workout Thursday. The Miami Herald is reporting that Orton's camp is still in talks with multiple teams, including the Broncos, and that a trade would involve "many moving parts." Orton will restructure his contract as part of a deal, and he could be waiting for the Cardinals situation to finalize.

    Well here we go! typical front office blunders, I would actually rather see them go for Vince Young Tomorrow.

    rotoworld
     
    Da 'Fins and Pandarilla like this.
  2. slickj101

    slickj101 Is Water

    15,886
    8,901
    113
    Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Fine with me. Only helps us to wait if they're asking for too much, which I'd assume they are.
     
  3. Vinny Fins

    Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

    3,339
    2,293
    113
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Id rather get crabs then have Vince Young on this team. Vince Young and Reggie Bush? ARE WE IN THE ******* COLLECTION BUSINESS?
     
  4. GridIronKing34

    GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You Club Member

    23,330
    16,125
    113
    Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    They probably raised their price to a 2nd round pick (or more) after the Arizona/Philly deal. In which case, I would rather go into the season with Chad Henne as the starter. I like Orton, but I wouldn't give more than a 3rd round pick for him.
     
    SICK, xphinfanx, Tone_E and 1 other person like this.
  5. AdamC13

    AdamC13 Well-Known Member

    2,148
    1,398
    113
    May 3, 2010
    Patience by our FO is wise. If the Wanny years taught anything that was it. Most of the teams that had question marks at starting Qb are getting settled. The Cardinals clearly want Kolb. Miami is probably Orton's best chance to start. The Broncos are $5 million over the cap. Orton may be cut outright. Why give the Broncos a draft pick when they don't have to?

    Orton has leverage b/c of his contract this year. If he wants to come to Miami all he has to do is refuse to restructure his contract and no team will trade for him this year. Broncos will release him rather than pay $8.9 million this year. If I was going to Miami I would tell them to just wait. I wouldn't want my future team to give up next year's 2nd or 3rd round pick when they could get me for free. That pick may be a WR, TE or OL that helps the offense out.
     
    sws84, RevRick, mullingan and 6 others like this.
  6. slickj101

    slickj101 Is Water

    15,886
    8,901
    113
    Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Yeeeep. I feel the same way about Orton and you're def right that the stupid Cardinals just jacked up the market for us.
     
  7. rafael

    rafael Season Ticket Holder Club Member

    27,363
    31,258
    113
    Apr 6, 2008
    Thank god. The reports all day made it sound like we were desperate and going to over pay for a QB Denver and their fans know is not the answer. Let them cut him and we can make him an offer then. If they don't then we move on.
     
    Ophinerated likes this.
  8. Paul 13

    Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

    76,285
    36,311
    113
    Dec 3, 2007
    Trade for Bush and bring in a free agent quarterback... or trade for Orton and bring in a free agent running back. One was plan A... the other was plan B. Unless Carson Palmer was the plan all along.
     
  9. xphinfanx

    xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

    10,818
    2,210
    113
    Nov 1, 2009
    Ugh!!! I was wanting to wake up and read Orton to Miami.
     
    padre31 and Tin Indian like this.
  10. Tin Indian

    Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

    7,447
    3,442
    113
    Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Now that they appear to have a RB locked up they need to get this done. I appreciate that they are not getting pushed around but this needs to be finished.
     
  11. Frumundah Finnatic

    Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

    39,245
    10,681
    0
    Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I would not give up more than a 3rd
     
  12. padre31

    padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

    99,377
    37,301
    0
    Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That sounds likely, as they deal should have been done yesterday and when it wasn't then it became clear there was some sort of problem.
     
  13. PhinGeneral

    PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

    8,786
    4,896
    113
    Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    The Broncos could soften their stance with Jake Delhomme being released. He might be an ideal backup reunited with John Fox.
     
  14. brandon27

    brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

    41,912
    15,066
    113
    Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Bronco's are apparently looking for a 2 or a 3 for Orton, Dolphins are apparently offering a 4th or a 5th. Ross Tucker and Bob Papa are interviewing Shannon Sharpe on Sirius NFL Radio right now, thats what they were discussing about Orton and the potential trade. Take it for what its worth.
     
    unluckyluciano likes this.
  15. rdhstlr23

    rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

    13,583
    10,365
    113
    Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    That's why when reports said, and Omar Kelly continues to beat this drum, that they were haggling over compensation I knew it was incorrect.

    We've now had two trades announced with the intention of getting agreements worked out (McNabb & Bush). So, if it was the same case yesterday you would have heard some news, outlets like Glazer, Schefter, La Canfora saying they are just trying to work out a contract. It never materialized.

    Many were giving the Dolphins crap about giving up a 3rd rd pick or conditional 3rd rd pick, seems like the eye Orton at the same value a 4th or 5th (most likely conditional with clauses built in on performance). Truth be told, if we dealt for him and gave up a 4th or 5th, but played so well to give up a 1st or 2nd, would anyone be that unhappy? I wouldn't.
     
  16. padre31

    padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

    99,377
    37,301
    0
    Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Have to close the deal though, to me if you have singled out Kyle Orton as an upgrade, then make the deal and handle the consequences in Draft 2012.

    Here is my speculation:

    Orton wants to end the bridge Qb stuff, and he knows a long term contract is the best way to do so, Dolphins like him but do not know that he is more then a good bridge Qb and they are hesitant to toss Henne overboard, we offer a 2 yr deal with low dollars, Orton wants say a 4 yr deal at north of 6 million per with a bonus.

    If that scenario is true, it would make more sense for Orton to come to Miami still as he has a better shot at beating out Henne who is in the last yr of his deal, then beating out Tebow who is in yr #2 of his deal so ultimately this deal should get done. Unless Orton figures he is better served simply playing out his contract in Denver and hitting the open market.
     
  17. Da 'Fins

    Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

    25,837
    24,148
    113
    Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Orton is a significant upgrade over Henne and the Dolphins need him to be competitive.

    But it does appear that the trade is on the back burner right now. Orton is in camp at Denver and expected to take first team snaps. The Broncos, per this PFT report, are looking for a 2nd or 3rd, Miami offering a 4th or 5th. I think it should be an incentive deal.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/


    I think it will fall through. I also think the Bush deal may well fall through. THen the FO will say, "We tried our best, just didn't happen." WHich is just what Tony Sparano will be saying at the end of the year after he's fired along with Ireland.
     
  18. BB Ocho

    BB Ocho Season Ticket Holder

    418
    159
    0
    Dec 10, 2007
    Florence, SC
    I don't think so.
     
  19. MrClean

    MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

    Did Jake sell you some of his kool aid?
     
    slickj101 and padre31 like this.
  20. padre31

    padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

    99,377
    37,301
    0
    Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    [​IMG]
     
    SICK and MrClean like this.
  21. Vinny Fins

    Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

    3,339
    2,293
    113
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    A Conditional 4th (3rd if we make the playoffs) should get it done.
     
  22. MrClean

    MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

    :sidelol: :sidelol: hahahaha, good one Pads!!!
     
  23. MrClean

    MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

    When we were discussing a possible Orton trade back during the long and dreadful lockout, I posted we should make it conditional along the lines you suggest here. I'd even make it two step conditional. Such as, a 4th that becomes a 3rd if Orton takes at least half the offensive snaps or we make the playoffs and it becomes a 2nd, if both conditions are fulfilled. I'd be fine with giving up a 2nd if we make the playoffs and Orton leading the way.
     
  24. nyuk nyuk

    nyuk nyuk New Member

    129
    38
    0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Denver, CO
    It should be a conditional 3rd depending on Orton's performance. Maybe even another player as well.
     

Share This Page