1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report: Jake Long is off PUP.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TiP54, Aug 20, 2011.

1. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    All over twitter right now. Passed his physical and is off PUP. Can't post any tweets as of right now, sitting at a red light.
    Certainly good news thought.

bigbucks24, SICK, DolfanJake and 20 others like this.
  2. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Thank god. Line will be much better now.

3. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Sweet.

4. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    Praise the Shula.

5. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Now we see what they do as far as shuffling this thing around.

6. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Murtha splits reps with Colombo I would say this week at RT .

7. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Murtha will kick Colombo's *** if that's the case.

8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Jake Long can't make up for poor blocking on the opposite side. I was cautiously optimistic about a Carey-Colombo pairing on that right side, but the results aren't nearly what I thought they'd be. Ugh.

This definitely frees up Murtha to compete with Colombo, though.

9. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Perfect timing. We get a few games to play around at RT. Gonna see Murtha there.

- sent from my EVO 3D -

10. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    This is VERVERVERY good news. Now, plug Garner in at right tackle.

11. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think Murtha will be fine considering that with these 3 and 4 WR formations we're facing smaller defensive lines. He'd be too weak to be a road-grading right tackle he'd be too weak. I'd say aside from Long though he's probably the best pass blocker the Dolphins have.

Garner is not a bad bet at right tackle either but might be a little better and more disciplined overall player. Between the two of them the tackle position feels better. Then there's also Vernon Carey who might chomp at the bit to play well at RT again with some incentives perhaps involved.

Three good candidates and then the guy who is likely going to start in Colombo (fack).

12. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    That said, Murtha did not practice today.

- sent from my EVO 3D -

13. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Be nice if they just put Carey back at RT, gave him a possible 2m in incentives and told him have fun with that and go get it. We'd have you know our good starting right tackle back.

14. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Make sure the phone is down when it turns green please.

15. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Will do, mom.

16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Just looking out for the folks on the road.

[​IMG]

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Garner played there against Atlanta and did not pass block as well as Colombo did.

19. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    There are some very contradictory reports on Colombo's play. Same goes for Vernon Carey, Pouncey and the whole offensive line. I don't know what to say to that.

20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    IDK, Muck's mentioning that Thug Murtha did not practice today sort of surprises me, and tbh, not sure if I'd put a ton of stock in Garner at RT as he makes a bit more sense as the swing OL, let Murtha and Colombo fight it out over RT.

This way, if Carey is deemed not up to snuff, Garner can play RG, if Colombo beats out Murtha (who is injury prone) and then stinks, we always have Garner, locking Nate in at RT really decreases our flexibility.

21. MrClean

You sure the flag came while blocking Johnson? Norwood and Johnson changed sides a lot in that game. I saw Norwood at RDE some, and Johnson at LDE some too. That makes more sense for the Panthers anyway, since Norwood only goes 6'1 and 240.

Edit: Murtha was called for hands to the face blocking Norwood, and called for holding later on while blocking Johnson.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  22. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm watching Colombo now on whatever highlights etc I can find and he looks bad. Really bad. His guy is always the first one through.

Murtha will beat him for that spot at this rate. I honestly think that Carey from last year though was better than both.

Bpk likes this.
  23. MrClean

Watch for yourself. I'll tell ya though from what I've seen, Colombo's pass blocking is totally up to snuff. Murtha's has been too. Neither is getting beat to speak of with speed around the corner. Colombo has to work hard to maintain the outside edge and sometimes has to push the man on past behind the QB but he does it. I ain't gone back and did a 2nd look at the Panthers game to focus on the OL yet though. Just tried to on the replays.

24. MrClean

That's funny, because in the Falcons game he allowed not one pressure, hit or sack. I ain't watched the Panthers game a 2nd time yet, but sure do not recall his man, either Johnson or Norwood, getting close to Henne.

25. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Columbos play is ugly but it looks worse than it actually is IMO.

26. MrClean

Maybe Murtha tweaked an ankle or something during the game. I'd not over think anything about him missing a practice.
    Garner, to me, looks better inside than he does outside. I kind of like him as the 6th man too, since he can get you by at any of the 5 spots on the OL.

Pandarilla likes this.
  27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Problem I have with Colombo is I don't see any real strengths in his game, I sort of see a guy who scraps, but does not really do anything well.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And if you put him in as a Starter, if someone goes down, you shuffle 2 positions instead of just one.

To me that was one of the lessons of the 2nd pats game, Murtha went down, we had to move Incognito off of Center and put him at RG then move McQuistan out to RT with Berger going back in at Center and that weakened the unit overall.

29. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Fantastic News!

30. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Just watched some things from last night's game. Columbo really had some poor plays. He couldn't get a push. Running away from him was our best option. I did notice that even with some defenders close by, Henne still stood tall and took the throw, cheating for Columbo on a few plays.

31. nvdolfan

nvdolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Marietta, GA
  32. MrClean

That is why I said I like him as the 6th man. If someone goes down, Garner can step in anywhere and the other 4 stay put.

Pandarilla likes this.
  33. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    Colombo reminds me of Ron Heller when he was here. Heller never really got any push and didn't look pretty, but he was tough and scrapped and generally got the job done.

MrClean likes this.
  34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Pandarilla likes this.
  35. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The point for me though is that it's hard for me to be convinced that Colombo is an upgrade over last year's Carey. Carey is a good right tackle that's all I know and it's enough for me. Is Murtha better now than what Carey could be, there's a great chance.

It's all difficult to project right now. I still want to see Incognito at RG or C where he belongs not as the pulling guard.

36. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Heller is exactly who I think of with Columbo...is he on his heels more than you would like on the bullrush ? Yes...does he lunge more than you would like when someone threatens the edge? Yes but he KEEPS his feet and bottom line that is the unforgivable sin for an OL and I don't see him off his feet.

MrClean likes this.
  37. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Excellent news!! Hope he's 110% healthy and stays that way!

38. MrClean

Colombo didn't have any trouble handling Johnson on the pass rush. Murtha got the hands to the face penalty blocking Norwood and when they moved Johnson to RDE as the Dolphins are moving down for the first TD, Murtha got called for a pretty obvious hold when Johnson bullrushed him back into Henne. Colombo handled Johnson with relative ease, while he gave Murtha a little trouble.
    I agree, Colombo is seldom off his feet. In the first two drives I never saw him on the ground. Later on, when I was watching the first time, I recall him off his feet at least once. Another time he got his man on the ground and then sort of "accidentally" fell on top of the guy so he couldn't get up. I've seen him blocking on the 2nd level effectively against LBs too.
    Bottom line, IMO, the folks ragging on Colombo either ain't watching him, or are seeing something different than I am. Agree with you and Fineas, Ron Heller is a great comparison.

edit: Just completed the 1st half for the 2nd time. I saw just one play that I'd call a total negative for Colombo. The incomplete pass to Hilliard just before the FG. On that play he had two rushers coming at him, one to his left and one to his right and hesitated I guess because he wasn't sure which one to block, blocked neither, forcing Henne to roll right and throw the incompletion just out of Hilliard's reach.

39. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Great news... my money is on Colombo to win the RT job over Murtha.

40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I do not recall Heller's time in Miami, did he play well? I think he was a JJ signing along with Kevin Gogan?

Anyway it is approached though, our Oline situation appears better this season as even vets like Carey who switch positions do not have the learning curve that young players have, and the young players we do have, Murtha and Garner, and to a lesser extent, Feinga, all have game experience and we sort of know what we are getting out of them.

Save for Pouncey, Wilfork is a beast, so is Haynesworth, welcome to the NFL Rook.