rep power

143 replies

King FelixKing FelixSupporter
Mar 25, 2008, 09:57 PM

"jason8er wrote:

I think I miss phin bucks.

yeah me too.....and emojockwhateveryournameis. when you give rep, it gives however many rep power you have..so if i gave you rep, it would be 3 points.

ALalen1New Member
Mar 25, 2008, 09:57 PM

"emocomputerjock wrote:

You bet! I mean, it's a function of the site, and ties into one of the important things about having an online community - moderation and monitoring.

All online communities have to have some way of policing themselves. In most communities, this is accomplished through moderators and administrators monitoring posts and making sure things are to a generally acceptable level. This is cool - it works for a lot of usegroups and websites. The only problem is, that mods and admins can't be everywhere, and they can't fix everything at once. To help with that, we've got some functions built into the message board here to help the mods.

The first of course is the report a post tool. This lets the mods know if they should check a particular post, merge duplicate posts, or move a post to the correct forum if need be. Handy, but there's still more to it.

Users need a way of policing themselves in the community as well. To that end, we have the reputation, thanks, and thread rating functions. If we use these things, we can generally figure out who are trustworthy, helpful members of the community, and these "power" users can handle a lot of the moderation functions that don't require moderator privileges like answering questions for newbies and calming discussions that are working themselves out of hand. If it's too easy to "game" the rep system, then we know it can be ignored when trying to figure out who the pillars of our community are :)

LOL. I will just keep thanking you to see what happens, deal?:up:

emocomputerjockemocomputerjockNew Member
Mar 25, 2008, 10:00 PM

"King Felix wrote:

yeah me too.....and emojockwhateveryournameis. when you give rep, it gives however many rep power you have..so if i gave you rep, it would be 3 points.

Does it? That's great! That means that someone with a lot of rep power thanking you means a lot, lot more than some freshly created account doing so. It'd take a lot (and I do mean a lot) of work to fake an account with a ton of rep in order to increase the size of someone's e-peen. I can dig it.


Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.

ALalen1New Member
Mar 25, 2008, 10:02 PM

"emocomputerjock wrote:

Does it? That's great! That means that someone with a lot of rep power thanking you means a lot, lot more than some freshly created account doing so. It'd take a lot (and I do mean a lot) of work to fake an account with a ton of rep in order to increase the size of someone's e-peen. I can dig it.

Do you want me to stop thanking you or no ? lol

King FelixKing FelixSupporter
Mar 25, 2008, 10:02 PM

"emocomputerjock wrote:

Does it? That's great! That means that someone with a lot of rep power thanking you means a lot, lot more than some freshly created account doing so. It'd take a lot (and I do mean a lot) of work to fake an account with a ton of rep in order to increase the size of someone's e-peen. I can dig it.

thats what ltdan said....all thanks give 5, but if you do the little scale under the posters username, then it gives your rep power.

emocomputerjockemocomputerjockNew Member
Mar 25, 2008, 10:04 PM

Oh, and if you want you can keep thanking me - I haven't hit 3 bubbles yet, and I still have to post a couple more times to hit another 10 post level - I'm pretty sure I'll get another point when I hit 110 posts.

Yep, just got one point for hitting 110 posts - meaning it should be a point per 10 like I thought :)


Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.

BABaxterLuxury Box
Mar 25, 2008, 10:13 PM

lol good work emo.

THThemoleNew Member
Mar 25, 2008, 10:18 PM

"cnc66 wrote:

I just tried to give YOU a rep Kenny, and it said I had given too many in the last 24 hours... I haven't given any...

I can testify to that! :wave:

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Mar 26, 2008, 02:11 AM

:lol: Boy, did I start a ****storm or what?

FinrunnerFinrunnerForum Veteran
Mar 26, 2008, 06:38 AM

Emo looks like he's got this thing close to solved. I haven't posted enough yet, I guess, or been thanked enough for my poor quality posts. Maybe for me, it's like the ol' Hee Haw song:

If it wasn't for bad rep, I'd have no rep at all, gloom, despair, and agony on me.

Well, looking at it, I think I do have no rep at all. Maybe bad would be better...

GO DOLPHINS !!!
WAR EAGLE !!!

emocomputerjockemocomputerjockNew Member
Mar 26, 2008, 09:17 AM

"Finrunner wrote:

Emo looks like he's got this thing close to solved. I haven't posted enough yet, I guess, or been thanked enough for my poor quality posts. Maybe for me, it's like the ol' Hee Haw song:

If it wasn't for bad rep, I'd have no rep at all, gloom, despair, and agony on me.

Well, looking at it, I think I do have no rep at all. Maybe bad would be better...

I'm still working on it and how it's set up for this site in particular - because I can't figure out exactly how your "rep power" is derived as of yet. All I've got is the accrual of reputation, and while I'm positive it translates to rep power in some way, I don't have it down. I will continue to work on it until it's all the way solved!

Alright, got it. I don't have the exact levels, but I'm sure I've got the system worked out.

I couldn't figure out why some users had no rep power despite being around for a while, having thanked posts. It screwed up all of my thoughts of scaling and the like - until I realized that Lt Dan and I were right:

You have to get a point of rep per time period, per post amount, and per rep amount you accrue. Those are all different levels I bet, so that when you're around for however many months, you get a point. When you post so many posts you get a point, and when users appreciate what you're doing you get a point (or 5). That translates to those green bubbles on the screen, and that's completely different than your rep power, which is calculated on a different scale. I haven't figured that out yet, but now I'm sure that the bubble is different than rep power. I'm still looking for rep power lol.


Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.

THThemoleNew Member
Mar 26, 2008, 09:58 AM

"NaboCane wrote:

:lol: Boy, did I start a ****storm or what?

That's no great revelation! :wink2:

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

PhinsRockPhinsRockLuxury Box
Mar 27, 2008, 11:34 AM

"cnc66 wrote:

I just tried to give YOU a rep Kenny, and it said I had given too many in the last 24 hours... I haven't given any...

I tried giving some to somebody and had the same problem, haven't given any out but says I gave away too much in 24 hours. Is that the thanks I've given out? Do they count towards giving out Rep Power?

2011 & 2006 World Champions, 2013 National League Champions; St. Louis Cardinals!

Jamester23Jamester23New Member
Mar 27, 2008, 11:38 AM

Someone needs to give me some rep. I'm awesome:)

AKA the artist formerly known as Balls Deep.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Mar 27, 2008, 11:48 AM

Ya know, all this talk about rep power... yet no talk about what that power means... what does it all mean??? I'm looking for the meaning, such as what if one becomes too powerful!? :pointlol:

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

azfinfanmangazfinfanmangLuxury Box
Mar 27, 2008, 11:52 AM

"Paul 13 wrote:

Ya know, all this talk about rep power... yet no talk about what that power means... what does it all mean??? I'm looking for the meaning, such as what if one becomes too powerful!? :pointlol:

Uhhmmm..yeah whatever. Isnt that pretty much like going to Cold-stone and telling them:

"Excuse me, but I think you made that last scoop a little too big. Could you shave a little off and put it back?"....:wink2:

finswin56finswin56New Member
Mar 27, 2008, 11:57 AM

"azfinfanmang wrote:

Uhhmmm..yeah whatever. Isnt that pretty much like going to Cold-stone and telling them:

"Excuse me, but I think you made that last scoop a little too big. Could you shave a little off and put it back?"....:wink2:

Oh, I love me some Cold Stone :D
Apple Pie ice cream should be illegal!

Heritage of a Linebacker

Image by Like2God. Awesome job bro!


azfinfanmangazfinfanmangLuxury Box
Mar 27, 2008, 12:01 PM

"finswin56 wrote:

Oh, I love me some Cold Stone :D
Apple Pie ice cream should be illegal!

Yeah, my kids know when Daddy is in a good move. Pack em up and drive on down to CSC:yes:

I dont even know why they have those first two sizes...
Like it....way too small
Love it.....still too small
Gotta have it..........:hi5:

THThemoleNew Member
Mar 27, 2008, 12:11 PM

"PhinsRock wrote:

I tried giving some to somebody and had the same problem, haven't given any out but says I gave away too much in 24 hours. Is that the thanks I've given out? Do they count towards giving out Rep Power?

WOW!...I wonder how many teenage girls in America have plead that same case, and had their REP blemished? :sidelol:

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

finswin56finswin56New Member
Mar 27, 2008, 12:26 PM

"azfinfanmang wrote:

Yeah, my kids know when Daddy is in a good move. Pack em up and drive on down to CSC:yes:

I dont even know why they have those first two sizes...
Like it....way too small
Love it.....still too small
Gotta have it..........:hi5:

:pointlol:

Heritage of a Linebacker

Image by Like2God. Awesome job bro!


azfinfanmangazfinfanmangLuxury Box
Mar 27, 2008, 12:37 PM

"Themole wrote:

WOW!...I wonder how many teenage girls in America have plead that same case, and had their REP blemished? :sidelol:

:angry::pity::no::sad:

emocomputerjockemocomputerjockNew Member
Mar 27, 2008, 12:43 PM

Oh, and one more thing - a thanks would appear to be a flat 5 rep, so if your rep power is under 5 and you use the scale you're giving them less rep than you would if you hit the thanks button. Also, if your power is over 5 and you hit thanks, you're shortchanging the poster. Just something to keep in mind as you thank people for their contributions.

Oh, and don't forget - you're limited to one thanks per post, but you can thank an unlimited number of posts per day, while you're limited in how much rep you can give out via the scales per 24 hours. This way you can still recognize posters!


Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.

ALalen1New Member
Mar 27, 2008, 03:52 PM

"emocomputerjock wrote:

Oh, and one more thing - a thanks would appear to be a flat 5 rep, so if your rep power is under 5 and you use the scale you're giving them less rep than you would if you hit the thanks button. Also, if your power is over 5 and you hit thanks, you're shortchanging the poster. Just something to keep in mind as you thank people for their contributions.

Oh, and don't forget - you're limited to one thanks per post, but you can thank an unlimited number of posts per day, while you're limited in how much rep you can give out via the scales per 24 hours. This way you can still recognize posters!

Still going bro...:up:

finsgirliefinsgirlieLuxury Box
Mar 27, 2008, 04:30 PM

thanks for asking this question, had been wondering about it myself....thought it had to do with the thanks stuff.

emocomputerjockemocomputerjockNew Member
Mar 27, 2008, 04:42 PM

"alen1 wrote:

Still going bro...:up:

You better believe it, I'm not slacking :lol:


Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.