1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion = Bad?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by danmarino, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I understand that as well. Not putting a rubber stamp on "all". Not justifying all things done in the name of religion in the early conlonies by no means. Let me just say I believe in separation of church and state. I don't want a government telling me how to pray and what to pray or how to participate in worship. Likewise, I should not impose my will on those who do not believe as I do. I was a part of Campus Crusade many years ago and while that involved evangelism, it did not support excess on those who did not want to hear. Total respect for others was in place. Someone says no, you move on if you want to share. Interest and desire to pursue lie with the message receiver. It is a choice, as I choose to believe what I do.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    As a non-religious person, I was absolutely hounded by people in college trying to convince me to their side. It was awful while I was at Tennessee.

3. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I do understand that. They forget we teach that is between a person and God.

4. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    In Christianity it teaches the moment of conversion is a conscience process with the Holy Spirit (as part of the Trinity) communicating so to speak. It is not meant to be a pushing process that enforces pressure. In the book of Matthew Jesus teaches followers to spread the word, but it does not tell them to manipulate, pressure, or thump. If there is any pressure it is from within you in terms of that Holy Spirit process. That is what leads to true conversion. Not human pressure. Christians are instructed to share or model their faith, but not enforce conversion. I know that is not reflective of some things in history.

Idahophin likes this.
  5. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    To be fair, Christianity tells believers that we are supposed to walk like Jesus did and show our faith by the life we live. Christianity also tells us that we're all sinners and will fall short of the mark, regardless of how hard we try. The goal is to be pure in thought and in action, yet we have free will and we live in a very broken world with temptation and distractions around every turn.

So just know that the judgement you felt was both misplaced and unwarranted. That's not how Christians are called to live. We're certainly not better than anyone else because we fail just as often.

The truth of the matter is that we're all going to fall short and we have no right to judge others on anything. There's a story in the New Testament about a woman who committed adultery and some locals asked Jesus if they should stone her to death. His response was, "Sure, let he who hasn't sinned cast the first stone." Nobody picked up a rock, LoL.

In other words, I'm not in a position to judge until I'm living a perfect life...which I'll never do. Nobody will.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    Idahophin and Lee2000 like this.
  6. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    I don't remember, long time ago.

Lee2000 likes this.
  7. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I am always a sucker for good humor.

Fin-O likes this.
  8. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Having been in so many churches and listened to so much I have struggled with my spirituality. One thing I have noticed about those who start movements. Those who follow can be overzealous and move away from the original focus of the movement. I refuse to blame other people for my struggles, as they are my own. Because I believe in Jesus I keep my focus on him. I try to weed out the integrated cultural components that we have here in the Bible Belt, like politics and being conservative. I focus on him through my struggles because what He taught gets all muddled with cultural influences. It is not easy. And I never thought it would be.

Ohiophinphan likes this.