1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reggie Bush: Ryan Tannehill 'Has the Upperhand'

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Jun 13, 2012.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Bush not only thinks Ryan Tannehill will probably win the start but believes the rookie quarterback could lead the Dolphins to the playoffs this season... "When you think about a rookie quarterback, obviously there is that disadvantage of just not having the wisdom and knowledge of being in the NFL,” Bush said. “It’s been done before, and I think he [Tannehill] can do it. Like I said, with the amount of veteran leadership that we have on this team, he’s already coming into an offense that he knows, Mike Sherman is a great coach and offensive coordinator who is really working with him day in and day out, I think he’ll be fine..."

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d7JL8?...medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=miami-dolphins

so, the veteran all-pro RB thinks Tannehill will win the start & possibly lead us to the play-offs...
    and I thought I was big on Ryan & went out on the limb when I suggested he would be starting by mid-season. what do you think? are things already shaping up in Tannehill's favor or is Bush an idiot for making the comment?

one thing he did not mention was the Philbin-Factor. Tannhill has already worked with Sherman in pro-sets @ the university level but has until now not been exposed to the guy that shaped GreenBay's QBs @ the NFL level. Philbin should pick up quickly, where Sherman left off in Ryan's development.

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I watched that interview and that was not what was said. Bush was real diplomatic. He said that Tannehill had an advantage b/c he knew the offense (he didn't specify whether he meant vs. other rookies or vs. Moore Garrard). And he said that a rookie QB has come in and lead a team to the playoffs. He did not make any predictions about who would win the start. He mentioned all three QBs and all he said was he wanted the best one to start.

3. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    I watched the interview when he said it and I don't believe that was what Reggie meant. I think he was basically saying that Tannehill had the upperhand on knowing the offense. And he didn't speak on going to playoffs until he was specifically asked if he thought that a rookie QB could take them to the playoffs. He praised the other QBs as well but was just specifically asked about Tannehill.

4. PhinishLine

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Well this is awkward.....

Da 'Fins likes this.
  5. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Sounds like average player quotes to me. Saying what we want to hear.

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    didn't watch the interview & I understand how opinions may differ on what was said
    however this is what I read & the writer had very different take on the interview than the one you expressed. it is what it is. in the man's own words without distortion:

Reggie Bush: Ryan Tannehill “has the upper hand”
    Posted by Michael David Smith on June 11, 2012, 9:38 PM EDT
    Miami Dolphins Minicamp Getty Images

We’re still a couple months (and a few episodes of Hard Knocks) away from knowing who the Dolphins’ starting quarterback will be. But the starter at running back in Miami, Reggie Bush, is talking like a man who thinks he’ll be sharing the huddle with a rookie signal caller.

Bush sounded in an interview on NFL Total Access like he thinks first-round draft pick Ryan Tannehill is the favorite in the three-way quarterback race with incumbent starter Matt Moore and free agent signing David Garrard.

“Ryan Tannehill, he’s a really good quarterback, he’s very smart,” Bush said. “Obviously he has the upper hand coming into an offensive system that he already knows basically. Now he really just gets to work on his skill set as a quarterback, improving and he has that advantage on his side.”

Bush wasn’t actually endorsing Tannehill, but he sounded high on the rookie’s chances.

“It’s not my decision,”
    Bush said. “May the best man win. I always feel like competition is healthy on a team at every position. When your back is against a wall, when someone is breathing down your neck that’s going to bring out the best in you. I feel like Ryan being here around David Garrard and Matt Moore – some veterans who have been in the game for awhile – it’s only going to help him. It looks like they’re all getting along well together and he’s doing a good job so far. He’s a smart kid.”

Bush said he believes a rookie quarterback could lead the Dolphins to the playoffs.

“When you think about a rookie quarterback, obviously there is that disadvantage of just not having the wisdom and knowledge of being in the NFL,” Bush said. “It’s been done before, and I think [Tannehill] can do it. Like I said, with the amount of veteran leadership that we have on this team, he’s already coming into an offense that he knows, Mike Sherman is a great coach and offensive coordinator who is really working with him day in and day out, I think he’ll be fine. Obviously we’re going to do some things to protect him as a young guy, but at the same time I feel like he can get the job done if he is called on. We look forward to having him out there.”

The Dolphins drafted Tannehill eighth overall with the idea that he’d be their franchise quarterback some day. Bush sounds like he thinks that day will be the first day of the season.

what I wrote reflects accurately what I read.

7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    awkward for who? did you read the article?
    I suggest you think before you post to avoid becoming awkward.
    got another suggestion: post the thread not the poster.
    think about it. I neither agreed nor disagreed with the article.
    I even gave my initial opinion which differed from the Bush alleged comment.
    did you even bother to read the opening thread?

8. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Reggie sounded like to me (from watching the interview) that he didn't want to pick sides...

9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    like when you make eye contact in a mens restroom.

ssmiami and Da 'Fins like this.
  10. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    he was talking about how he said the same thing as rafael.

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    there you go... another example of how two people can see the same thing differently.
    having not viewed the original interview, I can only go on what I read. I have no legitimate opinion about opinions just know that every has one.
    however, I did & do think it was a provocative enough interpretation of the interview to raise some interesting thoughts/questions on the QB competition & Tannehill.

12. PhinishLine

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    YES!...Just like that.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Not at all. I agree with your interpretation. The only part I thought was off was the original post that claimed "the veteran all-pro RB thinks Tannehill will win the start".

14. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    problem is the bleacher report used "sounded as if", when in fact there was nothing there. I watched the interview too and agree with the others, bleacher report is stretching what was actually said to make a boring interview sound more compelling.

15. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    When all else fails, resort to Bleacher Report.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  16. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I didn't take what Bush said as Tannehill would be the starter either just that he has a step up in progress at the moment. That was my take from the video. Bleacher report might have took actual wording a bit off base from what he was expressing.

17. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Dude... you don't get it ...

18. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Evidently one can sometimes be too witty! ;) (I thought the "awkward" comment was hilarious & brilliant!).

19. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    The writer of that article made the classic media error of taking comments too far when he said, "Bush sounded in an interview on NFL Total Access like he thinks first-round draft pick Ryan Tannehill is the favorite." As two posters above noted, and as is evident in the transcript, there was nothing in that interview that indicated this at all. He was just being positive about Tannehill (esp. if he winds up starting).

20. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    With two veterans who have started in this league I see no possible way Tannehill starts a single game this year unless we are hopelessly out of it. Even then Philbin won't toss him to the wolves yet.

21. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Listening to the conversation he had, I'd say he's saying that 'at this point' Tanny has the upper hand because of his familiarity with the O...the real bullets haven't started flying yet...I think he's our guy of the future and that future may very well be sometime this season, but not the start of the season...jmho, nothing more, but Garrard and MMoore still are pros who have started before...