Redskins sign Atogwe to 5-year, $26M contract

27 replies

dgb11112dgb11112New MemberOP
Mar 3, 2011, 05:39 PM

There goes another one.. Thanks Ireland!

Redskins agreed to terms with FS O.J. Atogwe on a five-year, $26 million contract.
Among NFL defensive backs, Atogwe's 44 turnovers accounted for rank third in the league over the past five seasons, and second in the NFC. (Only Ed Reed and Charles Woodson have more.) Also familiar with defensive coordinator Jim Haslett's system from their time together in St. Louis, the 30-year-old Atogwe will fit in nicely in D.C. He'll play free safety, with LaRon Landry manning the strong side and continuing to focus on "the box."

www.rotoworld.com

FIfinsincebirthForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2011, 05:45 PM

I will be happy when the offseason is over, because then the endless raining of "this front office is stupid for not signing every single guy that gets cut" mentality will go away.

dgb11112dgb11112New Member
Mar 3, 2011, 05:50 PM

Well he happens to be someone we looked at last year and a TOP 5 Safety Come on MAN!

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2011, 05:53 PM

"finsincebirth wrote:

I will be happy when the offseason is over, because then the endless raining of "this front office is stupid for not signing every single guy that gets cut" mentality will go away.


Atogwe is better than Clemons, Jones, Bell, and Culver.

Why we’d pass on a chance to improve our team without giving up a draft pick is beyond me.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

FIfinsincebirthForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2011, 05:59 PM

"dgb11112 wrote:

Well he happens to be someone we looked at last year and a TOP 5 Safety Come on MAN!

"Desides wrote:

Atogwe is better than Clemons, Jones, Bell, and Culver.

Why we’d pass on a chance to improve our team without giving up a draft pick is beyond me.


I'm going to say there was probably a logical reason.

DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2011, 06:29 PM

"finsincebirth wrote:

I will be happy when the offseason is over, because then the endless raining of "this front office is stupid for not signing every single guy that gets cut" mentality will go away.

Except in this case they are stupid...

dgb11112dgb11112New Member
Mar 3, 2011, 06:42 PM

Are you just trying to cause a problem?? LOL Really take a beer break....

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Mar 3, 2011, 08:03 PM

"Desides wrote:

Atogwe is better than Clemons, Jones, Bell, and Culver.

Why we’d pass on a chance to improve our team without giving up a draft pick is beyond me.


Salary Cap will be a reality Des, they have pushed the gray areas where they can, but they appear to be unwilling to make any moves until the Cap is straightened out and set.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2011, 08:07 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Salary Cap will be a reality Des, they have pushed the gray areas where they can, but they appear to be unwilling to make any moves until the Cap is straightened out and set.


I remember reading that we’re actually in pretty good cap shape. And 5 years, $26m doesn’t really break the bank. Atogwe will be cut before he sees the end of that deal.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Mar 3, 2011, 08:12 PM

"Desides wrote:

I remember reading that we’re actually in pretty good cap shape. And 5 years, $26m doesn’t really break the bank. Atogwe will be cut before he sees the end of that deal.


Problem being, if the new CBA has all of the owners demands in it, the cap will shrink to about 108 million or so, we are right around 103 millie so they are being cautious.

I hope the alternative, Ross has sealed the checkbook is not how it is,

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Mar 3, 2011, 08:13 PM

Chargers signed Bob Sanders.

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Mar 3, 2011, 08:26 PM

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2011, 08:48 PM

Ireland has added a lot of talent to a team that was a black hole barely 3 years ago. In the NFL you can go from 7-9 to contender with a good offseason or two. To see people panic and throw Ireland under the bus at this point in the offseason is just silly. This is the same guy that got us Dansby and Marshall. Relax, he can fill spots when he sees the right people.

PhinPhanaticPhinPhanaticNew Member
Mar 3, 2011, 08:56 PM

I must say I would have loved to have signed him. Certainly not a capologist so I understand if the decision to pass was financial but as other have stated an opportunity to improve a position without giving a pick should be exercised. Lets hope that Ireland had another FA targeted for his funds!

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." -Charles Darwin

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2011, 09:05 PM

"texanphinatic wrote:

Ireland has added a lot of talent to a team that was a black hole barely 3 years ago. In the NFL you can go from 7-9 to contender with a good offseason or two. To see people panic and throw Ireland under the bus at this point in the offseason is just silly. This is the same guy that got us Dansby and Marshall. Relax, he can fill spots when he sees the right people.


Getting Dansby and Marshall were not exactly feats of deep insight and clever bargaining.

I think it’s very strange that we’re passing on veteran depth (or in Atogwe’s case, an upper echelon starter).

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Mar 3, 2011, 09:08 PM

"texanphinatic wrote:

Ireland has added a lot of talent to a team that was a black hole barely 3 years ago. In the NFL you can go from 7-9 to contender with a good offseason or two. To see people panic and throw Ireland under the bus at this point in the offseason is just silly. This is the same guy that got us Dansby and Marshall. Relax, he can fill spots when he sees the right people.


Back to Back 7-9 seasons and the rotten tomatoes will be launched...and should be imo.

I am glad Ireland has the keys to the car now, just hope he moves off a bit from his meat and potatoes philosophy.

brandon27brandon27Supporter
Mar 3, 2011, 10:32 PM

"Desides wrote:

Atogwe is better than Clemons, Jones, Bell, and Culver.

Why we’d pass on a chance to improve our team without giving up a draft pick is beyond me.


Agreed 110%. This is one guy I really wanted here, I've followed his play since high school when he played here in Windsor. Good player, and a GREAT character guy. Easily better than anyone on our roster too. I'm a bit disappointed we didnt go after him.


1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Mar 4, 2011, 01:10 AM

"padre31 wrote:

Chargers signed Bob Sanders.

pissass

ToddsPhinsToddsPhinsNew Member
Mar 4, 2011, 01:58 AM

Heck with Atogwe. I'm all for trading Clemons, Langford, our 1st, and next year's 3rd to move up for Patrick Peterson. IMO Peterson could improve our team more than anyone else from this draft b/c the missing piece to our dominating defense is a playmaking, ballhawking FS.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Mar 4, 2011, 11:45 AM

I'm disappointed with missing out on Atogwe. IMO a ball-hawking FS is the difference between a good defense and a great defense.

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
Mar 4, 2011, 01:18 PM

To all the peeps who want to pay Atogwe 5+ million: How many Rams games did you watch this year?

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
Mar 4, 2011, 01:27 PM

"rafael wrote:

I'm disappointed with missing out on Atogwe. IMO a ball-hawking FS is the difference between a good defense and a great defense.


Chris Clemons dropped at least 4 or 5 INTs this year. If he makes those plays we're not discussing Atogwe, we're talking about how Clemons is a budding star. The jump in his level of play from year 1 to year 2 was astonishing, and if he continues to improve then I think we'll be set. I also think Reshad Jones has the potential to be a ball hawk, from watching him last year and at Georgia he seems very adept at tracking balls in the air. He's stuck behind Yeremiah right now, but if he continues to develop I think we could have a ready made replacement once Bell moves on.

Besides, the Redskins are idiots. They already have Laron Landry at S, a high priced guy. Why spend another 25 millie on Atogwe? Every year they spend buku dough on a slew of UFAs and the majority of them under perform. I'd rather take my chances w/ the young guys we have.

MOmommabillyNew Member
Mar 4, 2011, 01:42 PM

Not worth it, plain and simple. Most of his numbers come from playing crap teams of the NFC West with Crap QBs 6 times a year. He will crap out as Carriker crapped out. Two former Haslett boyz

http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Mar 4, 2011, 01:45 PM

I agree gm, Clemons has shown enough flash, and enough improvement from year to year, that you dont replace, or take reps away from the player.Plus he should be coming into his man body this year..Plus he was injured last part of the season..Iam fine with our safety situation..Inside linebacker is the position iam looking to upgrade..

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Mar 4, 2011, 01:52 PM

"GMJohnson wrote:

Chris Clemons dropped at least 4 or 5 INTs this year. If he makes those plays we're not discussing Atogwe, we're talking about how Clemons is a budding star. The jump in his level of play from year 1 to year 2 was astonishing, and if he continues to improve then I think we'll be set. I also think Reshad Jones has the potential to be a ball hawk, from watching him last year and at Georgia he seems very adept at tracking balls in the air. He's stuck behind Yeremiah right now, but if he continues to develop I think we could have a ready made replacement once Bell moves on.

Besides, the Redskins are idiots. They already have Laron Landry at S, a high priced guy. Why spend another 25 millie on Atogwe? Every year they spend buku dough on a slew of UFAs and the majority of them under perform. I'd rather take my chances w/ the young guys we have.


If Clemons hadn't also been the guy who dropped INTs in college then I would be on board with him being the guy who was capable of being that ball-hawking FS. But since its just a continuation of what he's always done, I see that faith as misplaced.