1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Dead Redemption [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Medieval954, May 8, 2009.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That puts the shoe outside the sandtrap half the time for me.

2. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Yeah I gave up on that outfit because I can't even come close in horseshoes.

3. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    This has been working for me: Trigger the aim, then button jam R1 & R2 back and forth, instead of just R1 or just R2.

Don't know if it's just my luck or maybe I'm also doing something else, but after losing 4 straight duels, I haven't lost one yet since doing this.

4. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    That's some pretty bad luck because those are extremely rare. I've played through the entire game and have only seen one all black horse, but was in the middle of a mission so I couldn't stop to grab it. That was early in the game, too, so I figured I'd see many more. Haven't noticed another one since... I believe all black horses are full speed + full stamina.

Think it's the same as the Best Buy Exclusive: War Horse.

BTW Mor, are you replaying the game from start to finish or will you ever?

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Where are the best horses at?

6. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    a little after middle works a little better maybe.. but it was my technique to win one game to get the check mark for the gang outfit.

*edit* you also have to move a little left or right but that parts a little twitchy..I only did that if the first shoe was way right or left.

7. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    I think if you do the stable job you will eventually unlock the faster horses at the shop.

8. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    the two best horses I've heard about are in Mexico...an all black and an all white. Both pretty obvious from what I've heard, but are pretty rare.

the trick to horse shoes isn't gone over in the tutorial. if you hold the left trigger (Xbox) it will zoom in so you can actually aim before you throw.

I did figure this out for real yesterday too. when the screen goes slow motion either of you can draw with left trigger. if you draw first you lose some accuracy, but will have first chance to fill your blue bar. after you draw, you use the other joystick to aim like a regular fight. then you place the crosshairs where you want to shoot. the object is to fill that blue bar on the right. if you notice, the crosshair grows and shrinks quickly, well, you want to stop it when its smallest, this will give you the most fill in the blue bar. as soon as the bar is filled you will shoot, assuming you filled it first.
    you can instantly fill the bar if you perfectly target the guys shooting arm or hat, ending the fight with a win in your favor.

9. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Thanks Bud :up:.

10. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

I usually pull the "Top Gun" manoeuvre, just hit the brakes (or the RB button in my case :)) and let them run right past. Then I switch to Dead Eye mode and take a few out.
    Makes life a lot easier to get back to the bounty collection point.

11. Springveldt

I got the ringer achievement with my 3rd throw, I've only played 1 game and got 3 ringers in it. :lol:
    I aim so that the target is just to the left of my fingers then let go of LT and let my arm come to a rest. Then I swing the arm forward all the way, back all the way then on the forward motion make sure you get as close to the middle line as possible when pressing RT.
    This usually gets very close every time.

12. Springveldt

You wait until it says draw and then hit LT, then aim as normal (I normally try to disarm for more Fame points). You will notice the crosshair gets smaller, when it's a white dot that fills the bar more. I normally just aim them mash the RT though. :) So far I'm 5-0 with that technique.

For all those horse questions there's a brilliant thread here...
    Horse thread
    The 2 really good ones (other than the one you get through the story) are the American Standardbred and the Hungarian Half-bred.
    I think you need to catch them and break them in.

Zeke0123 likes this.
  13. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    ok so I can't figure out how to shoot in a duel. Can anybody help me?

14. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    Should have read through the thread

15. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    When it says draw hit or hold Left trigger then aim your cursor with the R stick and like in dead eye mode hit RB to place your targets on his body. You can gain more honor by disarming the opponent.

16. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    just got it yesterday about 2 hours in. games pretty sweet!

17. Springveldt

I had a really weird glitch last night while doing the Tumbleweed gang hideout. I was taking cover behind a shed when I popped out to shoot one of the gang members. Instead of the gun firing though my guy just shot straight up into the air, I must have went a hundred feet or so before falling back to the ground, dieing instantly.
    Pretty weird and amusing as he was doing the "whooo" scream all the way through it. Luckily it was right at the start so I didn't actually lose that much, think I had only killed 1 gang member.

18. Springveldt

Ah, just googled it and it's apparently quite common. Loads of videos out there on the "Skydiver" glitch.

19. Jeff

Jeff A.S.E. Mastur

Mar 18, 2010
    Plantation
    I remember this song from the Red Dead Revolver game on PS2. I dont think it is in Red Dead Redemption, but its a great song:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHrurJuLoAY&feature=related"]YouTube- Red Dead Revolver - All Weapons[/ame]

Song Title is: Lo Chiamavano King

20. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I was dueling wrong, myself. What you're supposed to do is wait for the trigger to turn white (on the enemy's body), then hit R2.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  21. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Doing that wrong as well.

22. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    So while I was playing the storyline mission the other day I came across something that foreshadowed what was going down.

Jack was reading his book underneath the tree. John asks him what he is reading and whats it about. His son explains a bit about the book then drops the plot how its about this guys son taking revenge on the people who killed his father.

I was like Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

23. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i will be getting this game soon for fathers day. i cant ****ing wait!!!!!

24. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Isn't your kid like 2? He has pretty big pockets.

25. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    lol.....my wife is buying it for me, for being a father to her son. pretty sweet.

26. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Damn remind me to get in on this setup...

27. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    doesnt mean you should pop out 20 kids so you can get 20 games every year. :lol:

sking29 likes this.
  28. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    i just beat the game 100% and got the last outfit. the benefits of it are pretty cool.

cops can't arrest you, so there's no wanted level at all. i ran around black water shooting everybody in sight with the semi-auto shotgun (with a bandana i didn't loose honor). i dragged a cop through the town, hog tied him and shot him in the middle of the street. sometimes people shoot back, but if you kill them there is still no wanted level.

29. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    working on getting this now... 100% is not easy to get, i beat the main storyline and have all the treasure chests but there is a lot left to do!

30. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    That's just silly. At 20 kids I should get a bass boat. :yes:

McLovin likes this.
  31. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I bought the game a few days ago. So far, this game is really fun. However, the only flaw with it is the aiming system. It's very unresponsive (like GTA) and a total pain in the *** if you're on expert, which I've stopped using. Normal and casual aiming make the game a piece of cake though, which doesn't help.

I really wish the deadly assassin outfit could be bought in the DLC portion of the page.

32. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I've never 100%'ed a game in my life, but jeez.... that perk has me wanting to.

I think I'm at like 80% or something. I just don't feel like treasure hunting. Oh well, at least IGN put the maps up... how many are there?

33. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami

there's 9 or 10 treasure hunting maps, but tbh they're not too bad. if i got stuck, i'd just youtube it and somebody would show exactly where the gold was.

34. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    my namesake is awesome. he's exactly like me.

35. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I'm kinda meh on this game at the moment... it just seems like you have to wait around to work on the mission too much... come back at 7am is what I always get... graphically it's decent, but the playability is meh... and the storyline is kinda meh...

36. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    After beating the game, I kind of agree. It's not as great as advertised. The game mechanics can be sloppy, the aiming system isn't very good (same for all GTA style games), missions can get repetitive and boring.

The story is alright, and finishes well. The problem is, very time you go back to a person to get a mission, it's the same dialog over and over. John: help me find so and so. Person: Sure thing, but do this first. It wasn't all that creative.

I also found Poker to be ridiculous. I always get massive chip leads only to lose to the most unbelievable B.S. hands. In one game at the blackwater hotel ($250 buy in) I lost with trip 9's to guy who also had trip 9's (just with a better kicker). It's the lamest **** ever. Luckily, money is essentially useless in the game. I barely spent anything I made.

I highly recommend it as a rental, but it's not worth a buy IMO.

Questions for those who beat it

a. In the "I know You" stranger sidequest, John tries and fails to kill... A Ghost? WTF is that guy?

b. What do I do now with the kid? Is there any game left?

37. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Once you're the kid, you get special stranger quests to do from my experiences.

McLovin likes this.
  38. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Game is Definitely a Buy.

McLovin likes this.
  39. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    already bought-en.

40. McLovin