1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-Poll After Carolina: Should Ryan Tannehill Start the Regular Season?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Aug 18, 2012.

Should Ryan Tannehill Start the Regular Season?

1. Yes

101 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

That's what they told the guy from Winnipeg in the signature pic and then he actually wrote " Down By The River " and was en route to being a music god. Let's hope Martin has similar success.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I think whatever habits he develops are going to be on him. The odds are that his career is played mostly on teams as flawed as this one. Developing habits for dealing with poor o-lineman isn't anything prohibitive IMO.

3. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Right, but you'd hope he isn't learning to do all that as a rookie under conditions in which the opposing defense is pinning its ears back because the scoreboard is so lopsided. Obviously you want to set him up for success, not failure.

4. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    What if the habit he develops from that is 1) happy feet, 2) leaving the pocket and scrambling too early, 3) going through his progressions too quickly, or 4) any combination of the above?

And you don't just have a suspect right side of the line here; you also have a suspect defense and a weak corps of receivers. It's an amalgam of mess.

5. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Those are all things he has control over. If he's doing anything too early or too quickly that is on him. If he's forced to get rid of the ball early because his protection is bad, then that isn't a bad habit, its a good job of quarterbacking. Throughout his career he will have to do those things, and a QB having that type of awareness and getting experience in those situations isn't a bad thing IMO.

To be honest, I disagree with the magnitude of those issues. Either way, those weren't issues that prevented Matt Moore from finishing last year with a ~85 QBR. So if Tannehill is clearly ahead of Moore, I don't think any of those problems are prohibitive him ending up with a ~80QBR.

6. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Right, but the definition of a "habit" is something that is applied to situations inflexibly. I fear that if Tannehill is thrust into a situation in which he develops bad habits, he'll apply those habits to situations in which they aren't needed. He'll be a "happy feet" QB, for example, even when there's no rush around him, because that's what was imprinted into his game during a sensitive period of his development.

This year we have a rookie DC, a new system to adjust to, no Yerehmiah Bell, a middle linebacker who's never played that position, and Vontae Davis's demotion. I think this defense is going to be among the worst in the league.

7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I'm not comfortable expecting Tannehill to drastically outperform Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and so on in their rookie years.

But, just for kicks here's a list of the top rookie QB's (FYI it's missing Matt Ryan, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers because it an old article). Does Tanehill fit with this list? Maybe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=list/rookieqbs

smahtaz likes this.
  8. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think expecting an 80QBR in today's NFL are high expectations at all.

smahtaz likes this.
  9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm not trying to put words in your mouth but it almost sounds like you're saying, if a QB develops bad habits b/c of how he reacts to an unfavorable situation, then that's on him.

10. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    There is a right play and a wrong play for the QB to make in unfavorable situations. Now there certainly may be unfavorable results for the offense as a whole, but that doesn't necessarily mean the QB did the wrong thing.

11. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    @ArmandoSalguero: Ryan Tannehill is Miami's starting quarterback, Joe Philbin announces.

12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

The coaching staff agrees with starting him.

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I just heard the Dolphins named Tannehill the opening day starter.