1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-Poll After Carolina: Should Ryan Tannehill Start the Regular Season?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Aug 18, 2012.

Should Ryan Tannehill Start the Regular Season?

1. Yes

101 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Easy enough BPK, you'd just have to use Football Reference and look at the successful guys rookie yrs

Rook or 2nd yr Qb's who had winning or good yrs recently would be:

-Sanchez
    -Ryan
    -Freeman
    -Newton
    -Flacco
    -Dalton

Guys who had poor yrs:

-Gabbert
    -McCoy
    -Kolb (arguably)
    -

Bpk likes this.
  2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Thanks Padre. here's what I have got.

SPG = Sacks Per Game the QB is taking

The expectation, if a bad OLine contributes heavily to young QB failure, is that the higher the sacks-per-game a young QB takes, the lower his rating would be.

Blaine Gabbert JAX 40 sacks 15 games (14gs) Rating 65.4 @ 2.6 spg

Colt McCoy CLE 32 sacks 13 games Rating 74.6 @ 2.4 spg

2011 Cam Newton 35 sacks 16 games Rating 84.5 @ 2.18 spg

2009 Josh Freeman 20 sacks 10 games (9gs) Rating 59.8 @ 2
    spg

2008 Joe Flacco 32 sacks 16 games Rating 80.3 @ 2spg

2009 Mark Sanchez 26 sacks 15 games Rating 63 @ 1.7 spg

2011 Andy Dalton 24 Sacks 16 games 80.4 rating @ 1.5 spg

2008 Matt Ryan 17 Sacks 16 games Rating 87.7 @ 1.06 spg

The trend seems to somewhat be truw, with the notable exceptions of Cam Newton doing way better than expected versus his number of sacks, and Sanchez doing way worse, given his good protection. One possible explanation is that Cam Newton is simply THAT extraordinarily good, and with good protection he would have rated even higher. His ability to run, and occasional disposition to do so may have contributed to higher sack numbers as well. Sanchez... well, he just sucks, behind ANY O-line. On that I'm sure we all agree.

Based on the protection Tannehill received in pre-season games one and two, here is how a full season of starting would look for him.

2012 Ryan Tannehill 48 sacks @ 3spg

I think we can see which end of the spectrum that would place Tannehill at.

That said, all the sacks came in ONE game against Carolina and it's possible the OLine had a worse showing than we can expect in the the third preseason game. If the third preseason game sees our 1st string allowing sacks at a 3spg pace, I wouldn't start Tannehill this year. however, if they can lower our spg to somewhere in the low two range, he has a fighting chance. For Tannehill to do well, however, he'd need a spg closer to 1 from the OLine.

Of course, some of this is how long a QB holds the ball, whether he has good receivers who can get open, and such. But it's fairly clear that those issues are secondary to a right tackle allowing fully unimpeded defenders a beeline to the QB in under 2 seconds.

Thoughts?

KennyStang, MrClean and padre31 like this.
  3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    IDK, hopefully we're not as bad as Bradford last year where he was sacked 36 times in 10 games (1 every 10 passes).

Looking at past rookie starting QBs who busted, IIRC, a lot of them were knocked around big time their rookie year.

MrClean likes this.
  4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    My thought is this should be a thread in Club..:D

5. Bpk

At 3.6 sacks-per-game Bradford had it way worse than the other young QBs I looked at. I'll bet it showed in his performance.

Ideally we want Tannehill around 1spg, but could probably have him as high as 2.5 spg and still have him perform.

But once you are in 3spg territory it's as toxic as cancer to his chances.

6. Question:

I have not had the luxary of seeing RT play yet but I am getting excited to see him based on all the chatter around here. My question is about his release speed and if he makes his reads fast and accurate. IMO if has a quick release that can go a long way in assisting a struggling OLine.

7. Bpk

I'm not an expert on releases by any means, but to me it looks good. Not Dan Marino quick, mind you.

shula_guy likes this.
  8. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Nice job. 2 things though, one thing to look at may be sacks per drop back or pass attempt. I know the Panthers threw it a ton, which may be a contributing factor to Cam's high sacks per game, where as the Jets ran a ton which would contribute to Sanchez's lower sacks per game.

Also, Tannehill had 3 sacks last night... in the first half. That is more on a 6 sack per game pace...

9. Bpk

Agree. And the attempts data was right there... but I thought I'd start with this crude tool. To get a closer look, and more useful one, you're absolutely right.

And Tany was sacked zero times in the first game. Across two games he was sacked three times per game.

10. Yeah I was in no way trying to compare him to Dan. While I have not heard anyone specificly adress it by all accounts it sounds like he is adjusting to the speed of the game pretty quickly which is a very positive thing IMO. Considering he has limited experience at the QB postion I think its very promising that he seems to be acceling and not regressing when faced with the challenges he is given. Not that I put a lot of stock into Hard Knocks I do like his confidence and poise that he just seems to carry with him naturally. I dont watch college ball so I know nothing about this guy but to be honest Im really getting excited that just maybe Miami has found a franchise QB that we can depend on to win some games. The kid strikes me as competitor and listening to everyone talk about him it sounds like he has the physical gifts to force his will onto the team and create wins out of losses. That IMO has been what this team has sorely missed since the departure of Marino and Shula for that matter.

11. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    this must be the nicest thing you ever said about this team

12. Bpk

I can honestly say he is the first QB we have had in twenty years who I see the physical tools AND mental attitude/charisma from.

shula_guy likes this.
  13. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

I would like to think he would take less sacks for two reasons.

1. He know's the offense better than anyone besides Sherm.

2. I think we have a much better offensive staff than last year that will make adjustments to help, unlike the past few years.

I think if Garrard didn't get hurt, he would have started and I would have been OK with Tanne watching him, and I think Garrard was the having the best camp, but he is not going to be ready, and Tanne is having a better camp than Moore right now, and if he keeps it up for the next week, he is the starter

Bpk and Stitches like this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Keep in mind, the 3 sacks v carolina who really were playing "vanilla" defense..in one half.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not in favor of THill starting at first, the OL is clearly struggling with the new scheme.

Problem with that is if you put MMoore out there we have to expect fumbles, he did alright with the turnstill known as Colombo but still, I hope Garrard can pull it together and start vs the Texans.

15. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    It's not so much the sacks that concern me. It's when guys start throwing picks due to the pressure. So far in just the limited preseason games we have seen Tannehill play he has not thrown picks. The interceptions are what smashes a QB's confidence into fragments in my opinion. I personally think he's going to be just fine starting the season and playing right away if thats what we do with him. We aren't going to win many games this year so I think we might as well roll with Tanny right away and let the era begin...Find out if he has that "it" factor that Cam Newton showed last season and go from there. I just don't see us winning anything with Julius Pruitt as our top wideout...
    I think this situation is perfect for Tannehill. He's against all odds in a sense that he has no great WR to throw to, and no great offensive line to play behind. So if he's still able to make plays without those two ingredients I think it will bode well for him moving forward. A great QB can take an average wideout and make them look great (Marino did it all the time).

shula_guy likes this.
  16. Considering a struggling O-Line and the physical health of Garad putting him in as our starter does not exactly fill me with confidence either. Depending on how well Ryan continues to progress in camp I think I would perfer to start him and keep a veteran like Garad around as back/up to step in if the game starts getting out of hand and RT is melting down out there.

I say if he looks ready give him a shot and see if he can adjuct his game to compensate for the defiencies he is surrounded by. I think the more playing he gets gives him the best chance to build good chemistry with his offense. Let the O-Line learn what he needs from them by playing with him. Let the recievers learn where to be for him and let his running backs learn how to help him. As rookies come in to replace the weak spots RT will be better prepared to show them what he needs from them too. I think if he is ready they should start him. I dont see him as a primadonna player who needs to be coddled. JMO

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thing is, I don't see Garrard's health as an issue, with him it comes down is he worth a 4 gm audtion that will cost us 3.5 millie?

18. Bpk

It's not knowing the offense that makes most QBs hesitate when scanning the field, though, it's understanding what defense they are looking at and what it means (i.e. the correct thing to do against that defense).

Totally agree with #2 though. Having Sherm here will help a lot. As will having talented RBs and TEs (which I feel we do).

If the protection remains as it is, Tannehill won't be able to impress enough to keep Garrard at bay.

19. Bpk

A few people have misinterpreted the 3 sacks per game stat for Tannehill as me just taking the three times he was sacked and using that stat.

I took that stat and doubled it for a full game. That's 6 sacks per game, based on game #2. Then I added game one... zero sacks.

That's 6 sacks in two games. Divide by two games. You get 3 sacks per game.

Agree that garrard would be a relief at this point, as it would give the OLine and offense time to gel a bit before Tannehill takes over for a banged up Garrard (again) mid season.

20. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    ^^ I agree with that as well. The more he plays the more familiar he's going to get with his cast of teamates out there. The last thing we need is a revolving door at QB this year when he have a young prospect already in place with Tannehill. Let him play, and let him take his lumps as they come. If he survives and is able to still stand tall on his feet we just may have a franchise player moving forward. Keep in mind that both Sam Bradford and Cam Newton had HORRIBLE offensive lines their rookie years and yet they were still able to put up some impressive numbers. I think T-Hill will do the same. Thats just my feeling in all of this. He doesn't seem to get rattled mentally and that in my opinion is half the friggin game.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well that and who knows?

Maybe we get off to a fast start with him or MMoore?

I'm SO tired of being 1-4 or some crap with the season basically over by November, or with only the slimmest of chances at a wildcard birth, I feel we have the talent to do much better.

22. Bpk

I think if he's getting sacked 3 times a game, hit 6 times, hurried 12 and p[asses tipped as well then its a terrible idea to start him.

If the choice is between INTs or getting him crushed because he is sacked, I have to say niether one is good for a QB if it's happening consistently.

I don;t think you can find me an example of a QB with under three years of experience in this league who got sacked more than 3 times a game (on average all year) and not only had a rating over 80, but went on to a career rating in the 90's or above. Not a single one.

Do we expect Tannehill to do the impossible?

23. Well I dont have a crystal ball but how easily Garad hurt his knee and nobody really knows if his back is going to hold up does concern me especially if he is taking sacks and hits as well as being forced to scramble and use atheletism to keep plays alive.

Money sure is something to consider but if he gets hurt your still paying him that money and he is no good to anyone sitting on IR. No matter how you slice it you have the same amount of money invested in your QB postion unless you cut one of them which isnt happening. I think it then becomes a question of maxium value and keeping Garad around as a b/u might be a great value move. It increases the odds of keeping him healthy and it gives RT a veteran QB's ear on the sideline and it offers the team a reliable 2nd option to turn to if RT struggles to the point where it effects his ability to be our starter in the future. Garad could serve as an extremely effective safety net.

24. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm curious if you can find more than 3 guys in the past 5 years who (played in at least 8 games) even meet this criteria. Even Gabbert got sacked less than 3 times a game, and he folded like a lawn chair in the face of pressure (something Tannehill hasn't seemed to do).

25. Bpk

Even 2002 Drew Brees, who posted a 76.9 rating had LESS than a 2 sack-per-game rate.

1998 Peyton Manning posted a 71.2 rating as one of the best prospects EVER.... and only dealt with a 1.37 sack-per-game rate.

Yet we think Ryan Tannehill could come in, getting sacked 3 times per game and develop into a star? TOTALLY WRONG.

That sack-per-game number has to drop. To no more than 2.5 in my opinion, to even consider putting him out there. Preferably UNDER 2.

(btw Peyton Manning is done. If Garrard comes back and performs, we shop Moore to Denver in return for a WR, LB, DE or RT.)

26. Without looking up stats the only QB that I can think of off the top of my head would be maybe Archie Manning LOL

27. Bpk

Wait, you're challenging me to find three guys when I said NONE exist? How does that make sense. Clearly I do not believe ANY guys like that exist.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is my position as well, THill behind this OL will get killed at first.

But on the upside:

JMart: "I've got to play better"
    Philbin: "He wasn't god awful"

Uhm, of course our crack Miami media did not bother to ask him what would be "god awful" in his view?

29. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So you couldn't find any instances of young QBs being sacked 3+ times a game over a whole season, yet you think Tannehill will get sacked that often?

30. Bpk

Great.

1971 rookie Archie Manning plays 10 games.

Posts a 61 QB rating being sacked FORTY TIMES.

4.0 SPG and a 61 QB rating.

Next?

31. Bpk

Of course they are out there, but I have other stuff to do. Archie Manning, for example, got butt raped 4 times per game in his rookie season. (Yeah it's old, but it was requested of me.)

32. Bpk

2002 David Carr 76 sacks 16 games QB rating 62.8

Care to do the math on what the SPG works out as?

Next!

33. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    contradictory

Stitches likes this.
  34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Steve Young was literally running for his life as a Buc, as did Vinny T, both were seen as disappointments in TB who obviously had great careers elsewhere.

This is one of the things I'm not feeling about our approach this yr, running back is our strength, yet we will pass a lot..that incongruence is what will lead to problems if it is not dealt with effectively.

Bpk likes this.
  35. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Awesome. Once in 10 years.

Boy, that settles that. Tannehill is definitely going to turn out like David Carr then if he plays as a rookie, despite no proof that he'll actually wind up being sacked 3+ times per game if he plays.

36. edromeo

edromeo New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Rather then looking as 'sacks' as the sum total of pass protection why not look at advanced metrics from Football Outsiders or Pro Football Focus that measure the quality of an OL/pass protection.

Otherwise your point, BPK, seems nothing more then an execise is anecdotal relationships.
    Kinda like saying how many red heads have ever won a SB? Then concluding something based on this anecdote.

Stitches likes this.
  37. Bpk

That over a FOUR spg.

I'm sure there are plenty of ones over three. You can find them if you want. I know what I beleive.

MrClean likes this.
  38. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Whats the correlation between sacks through 2 preseason games and regular season sacks?

Eop05 and Stitches like this.
  39. Bpk

You know the funny thing is, Stiches there is no proof of ANYTHING we discuss since it's about how people may perform in the future.

There is no proof Bush will actually run the ball well. There is no proof Cam Wake will get a single sack. etc

The point is that given the current evidence and situation we discuss what we believe is likely, probable and possible.

What seems probable is that Tannehill will not get great OLine protection this year. What we know is that historically, MOST QBs do worse in that case.

That's pretty much it.

40. Bpk

Probably zero. lol.

Honestly, a great point that may invalidate the comparison. But until we have a regular season game to go by, there is nothing else to work with.