1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RB ... Where do we stand today??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PHINANALYST, Apr 10, 2011.

1. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    RB ... Where do we really stand today?
    For the group, in order to help refine our draft options against 'need' - i'm continuing to do a few threads on a couple positions .... today its RB, with only WR to go for RD1 consideration.

By the letter of the law, we have 1 RB under contract: Polite ...

We have Hilliard and Sheets as ERFAs
    We have Brown, Williams and Cobbs as FAs ...

So, where are we .... well, the cupboard is bare less one of the best lead blockers and 3d and short backs in the game.

Another area where FA really makes this a challenge .... yes, having Hilliard and Sheets as ERFAs keeps them around - unless the FO decides not to ...

Hilliard has been a solid STs player with very limited game experience as a RB ... but has the size to be a run oriented teams 'thunder' back. It's very unlikely this FO will ask him to carry the load, but most certainly will get an opportunity to prove his worth this year (no matter how short the season).

Sheets has the tools (speed) that could make him dangerous, but he just can't stay healthy - much less on the field.

While it is likely that the FO will be able to pick up a RB whenever FA opens ... we know that it is almost a given that successful teams now carry 2 X starting caliber RBs. Really 3 if you include an X-Factor or change of pace type RB/WR.

The question everyone will have to answer is -- is it necessary to draft a RB in RD1, especially if they aren't special or elite ??

Is Ingram the 'total package' .... is he that much better than Williams ?? or LeShoure ?? to warrant a RD1 pick, especially @ 15 ... my non-expert opinion is no .... but we do need to add at least 2 RBs to the fold - a more conventional 210-220 type guy, and a shifty change of pace type guy.

I do really like Williams and Todman though .... just not a RB in RD1 - at least not from this group. Also, between the draft and FA - believe we'll bring in around 4 X RBs and go from there, knowing all we have is Hilliard and Polite - right now today (can't count on Sheets).

ToddsPhins and miamiron like this.
  2. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I would rather take a QB before a RB. If we wait to trade down for a QB the better ones will all be gone while we could still get a very good RB through round three. I am thinking Ryan Williams in Round Two if we trade down, or Daniel Thomas or Taiwan Jones in Round Three.

3. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm for Hilliard, Taiwan Jones, another back later in the draft (Graig Cooper or Allen Bradford), and DeAngelo Williams in FA.

Taiwan is one slippery runner with phenomenal balance, body control, and explosiveness..... and will probably run a 4.3 during his pro day. He battled Jahvid Best in track in high school. It's become cliche to say he resembles Chris Johnson & Jamaal Charles, but it's true IMO. We're having him in for a workout, although something tells me we might need a 2nd rounder to get him.

[video=youtube;CCIN6EWoPBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCIN6EWoPBo[/video]

Allen Bradford I like as another power back. He's like a poor man's LeGarrette Blount.

[video=youtube;tfcSvZ5akTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfcSvZ5akTc[/video]

4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It depends on the labor deal.

What seems to be the most likely outcome is that Judge Nelson will grant the players an injunction against the lockout, the NFL will operate under 2010 rules until they can agree on a new CBA, and consequently DeAngelo Williams will be an RFA with a tender of a 1st and 3rd.

5. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Is it that hard to put a RB by committee together?

6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Depends on if you're looking for a good one or not?

7. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    If Ponder doesn't shoot up the board...I'd like to trade down in the 1st draft Ponder then use that 2nd gained from the move to get R.Williams...or if we get a 3rd from the move down rather than a 2nd we could package that 3rd with other picks to grab Williams, but I don't honestly see us moving back up...If we don't get a 2nd hopefully Williams falls to the 3rd.

8. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    To me, the depth of this running back class is ridiculously good. Outside of Ingram, Leshoure, and Ryan Williams, you have guys like Taiwan Jones, Daniel Thomas, Roy Helu Jr., and Alex Green that I personally think could be very, very good in the league.

Just my thought, but that is why I believe it would be a mistake to take Ingram in the first.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I'm good with Sheets, Hilliard, a 4th round running back (Helu, Carter, Harper, Todman, Vereen, Fannin, Powell), and a UDFA (Royster, Saine, Berry, Moody, Gable).