1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RB Stable in 2011 & free agency

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Jun 30, 2011.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Don't think we need to further address the RB stable in 2011.
    Ricky would be an excellent/ideal compliment to Thomas with Kory Sheets providing a change of pace coming out of the backfield.
    Cobbs & Hilliard round off the compliment, creating depth.
    Ricky should be attainable with very reasonable contract. I'm sure Sparano will not hold a grudge @ the expense of the team.
    I think free agency should be dealt with very carefully. Save the treasure & picks for things that matter.
    If there is an available & immediate upgrade @ offensive line or defensive backfield it could be considered, otherwise, our only need is a veteran QB that can step up immediately & compete for the start.

2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    U.S. Women’s National (Team) FIFA Women’s World Cup is a serious contender & leading their group in Germany; the Men's team took the silver medal against Mexico in the Gold Cup, all good alternative sports news...
    all Miami needs is a Coach, a QB & the lock out to end in time to practice to contend.
    We're fixed @ RB with preferably Ricky or Ronnie, no need to:deadhorse:
    Why throw good money & picks after bad? the problem was the offensive line.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think we're finished at all with the RB position. I think they ought to target Ahmad Bradshaw, DeAngelo Williams or Michael Bush.

And actually, as I've been thinking about it, I'm wondering if Michael Bush shouldn't be first priority. I mean, I watch that guy play and I *know* he's good. And he can be good on his own, he doesn't need great blocking to make the big plays that he can make. Ahmad Bradshaw and DeAngelo Williams often had great blocking. Not saying Bush is better than them just that I don't know if DeAngelo or Ahmad can make the big cutbacks that made them who they are with this blocking, whereas I'm more sure Bush can do what he did in Oakland with this blocking. On the other hand if you get better blocking I don't know if Bush is going to amp up his output and make a bunch of big homerun plays like Bradshaw and Williams would. Plus I think Michael Bush will be cheaper.

People might think having a Michael Bush and Daniel Thomas is too much of the same thing but...maybe not. I know, absolutely know, that right now Michael Bush is better at the kind of inside hard running that you'd want a guy with Daniel Thomas' physical characteristics to eventually be good at. Did we trade up for Daniel Thomas because he's a big and strong inside runner? In part. But we also drafted him in part because he's got soft hands, is versatile for the Wildcat, and was one of the few backs you could isolate on college film and say he'll probably be a good blocker in the pros. To me, that screams out that we should make him our 3rd down factor back. He's not fast. We know that. Well, you know what, in reality neither is Ahmad Bradshaw. But he blocks well, and he has good hands, and he can throw the ball...and to me that means you make him a factor back while Michael Bush is the bread and butter back.

And then of course you have to figure Michael Bush has not been a totally healthy back, and so at some point he could be out and Daniel Thomas would get increased reps, with guys like Lex Hilliard, perhaps Kory Sheets, perhaps Brandon Saine stepping up. That wouldn't be such a bad thing. Injury worries would be one of the reasons for Michael Bush to be affordable.

Puka-head likes this.
  4. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I'm at a loss on FA RBs. I have no idea who will be out there or, what they may be looking for in the way of a contract.

5. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    This is the year you play if you got the money, and we got the money..The compliment word has been used a lot, but a good back is a good back..I would love to pound folks with those two beasts..If they believe in sheets, then Bush is the back we should target...The man had first round talent all day..If he's fully recovered from that injury, man that would be a nice pickup..

1 of those three need to be on this team, sheets maybe the x factor on who we target..

7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    This post has inspired me to spend a few hours watching Oakland games. Thanks alot...:pity:

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes but did you actually watch Michael Bush and what did you think?

The guy is very talented. There's only one Brandon Jacobs in the league but Michael Bush is the one back out there that reminds me most of him.

9. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    All thing$ con$idered, I would take Bush before Williams and Bradshaw.

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area

11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Someone posted recently, with a linked article as I recall, that Bush's year on PUP or NFI, whichever, likely won't count as an accrued season, meaning he'd only have 3, and not be a UFA. He'd be my 1 or 1a choice along with Bradshaw if he does get to count the year and be a UFA

Disgustipate likes this.
  12. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd be pretty satisfied so long as they're able to land any one of the three between Bradshaw, Bush, or Williams. That's my order of who I'd want, but any of them will will do. I think Bradshaw and Williams represent a really nice change of pace, and a departure from what we've had at RB since Tony Sparano et al arrived in 2008. And, as Chris stated, Michael Bush gives you a nice battering ram who can do some nice things without great blocking in front of him. I do keep going back to Sparano's "Jahvid Best type" quote and wonder if that was just coachspeak or not. IMO, Bradshaw fits that bill the most, regardless of the similarities in size.

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Ricky & Ronnie have rubber left to burn & either could be had in a fair contract
    we just don't need to go there after drafting Thomas & Sheets returning healthy
    a pulling left guard would be a nice acquisition but what we really need is a QB