Rate Day One Draft
74 replies
I always have a very hard time rating drafts before a player has played a single minute in the league. Its just hard for me to say that any team had a really bad pick or draft because you truly dont know who could be the next big thing. That being said, i feel there could have been a FEW better choices made on our part but i think it was good overall.
I'd give us a B.
I'm not really buying the Wake thing. I mean the Giants seem to just stockpile LB's. It's a position where you can have a lot of depth and just let things sort themselves out.
I love of our draft...Our two new corners are very very talented players, their upside is comparable to any other in the draft. Couple of cocky athletes.....alright baby, iam all about it. as long as you bleed the aqua,iam good
The selection of pat whiite, shows me that our front office is committed to the hybrid offense, and backs it up, with the best hybrid player in the country. Great picks imo.
Were on our way to unprescedented land..

"Cool Calm Mike wrote:
Davis and Smith will become the next Madison and Surtain.
Not to take any shot your post or your post or your opinion but i just hate when people put labels on players who have not played a down in the league yet. Its a set up for dissapointment. Don't get me wrong, you may very well be right and we may have struck gold with those two picks. Even if one of them is as good as either surtain or madison were for us we are in great shape. However, if they dont live up to those expectations everyone will be quite angry.
Vontae Davis is outstanding value at 25. You just hope he can keep his head on straight. If he does, we got a steal.
Sean Smith, we'll see if he can do it. But he's big and he feels a need considering the division we play in.
As for Pat White, I love the pick. He's a leader, a winner and a damn good football player. West Virginia was not the same without him on the field. He's a 4.5 guy with a big arm and plenty of athleticism. He's run for right at or well above 1000 yards all four years of college. He can run and catch passes. He's an athlete.
I can't wait until we unleash him in the Wildcat and beyond. There are so many possibilities with him on the field, with our offensive coaching staff, and that excites me. And I don't feel he was a reach, as I'd seen mocks with him going in that area.
IMO, I think plenty of people....myself included....had convinced themselves going in that this regime picks LOS guys early, pretty much without exception. And that's what they were going to do today. Hey, they might have. Guys might have gone ahead of where they picked.
I think we have to remember that Cameron Wake got a contract that is essentially what a second round pick would get. So there's your front seven guy.
With Jason Taylor in their back pocket, I think the Trifecta went out and took care of the backend, while staying ahead of the curve on offense.
Make the throwback uniforms permanent!
"DonShula84 wrote:
I'm not really buying the Wake thing. I mean the Giants seem to just stockpile LB's. It's a position where you can have a lot of depth and just let things sort themselves out.
Players can develop though Shoes, and Wakes physical gifts were never in question, 4.6 etc etc, and he has played up or down in College or the CFL.
and IMO, we reisgn JT.
"Muck wrote:
Vontae Davis is outstanding value at 25. You just hope he can keep his head on straight. If he does, we got a steal.
Sean Smith, we'll see if he can do it. But he's big and he feels a need considering the division we play in.
As for Pat White, I love the pick. He's a leader, a winner and a damn good football player. West Virginia was not the same without him on the field. He's a 4.5 guy with a big arm and plenty of athleticism. He's run for right at or above 1000 yards all four years of college. He can run and catch passes. He's an athlete.
I can't wait until we unleash him in the Wildcat and beyond. There are so many possibilities with him on the field, with our offensive coaching staff, and that excites me. And I don't feel he was a reach, as I'd seen mocks with him going in that area.
IMO, I think plenty of people....myself included....had convinced themselves going in that this regime picks LOS guys early, pretty much without exception. And that's what they were going to do today. Hey, they might have. Guys might have gone ahead of where they picked.
I think we have to remember that Cameron Wake got a contract that is essentially what a second round pick would get. So there's your front seven guy.
With Jason Taylor in their back pocket, I think the Trifecta went out and took care of the backend, while staying ahead of the curve on offense.
True, we are relying on Wake and JT though, alot more then anyone may have thought predraft.
The regime also loves players who can do multiple jobs, White if he is willing could fill in all over the place...but what does that tell us about D Bess?
"padre31 wrote:
Players can develop though Shoes, and Wakes physical gifts were never in question, 4.6 etc etc, and he has played up or down in College or the CFL.
and IMO, we reisgn JT.
I dont doubt that Wake can turn into a fine player. I'm just saying Wake being good shouldnt block us from taking a DE/LB, because it's a position that lends itself to a full stable of bodies.
"DonShula84 wrote:
I dont doubt that Wake can turn into a fine player. I'm just saying Wake being good shouldnt block us from taking a DE/LB, because it's a position that lends itself to a full stable of bodies.
I can agree with that 100%..but apparently Ireland and Friends are relying on him and Merling and Langford and Starks...:dunno:
"padre31 wrote:
True, we are relying on Wake and JT though, alot more then anyone may have thought predraft.
The regime also loves players who can do multiple jobs, White if he is willing could fill in all over the place...but what does that tell us about D Bess?
To be honest, I don't know if they're necessarily relying on Wake. I think that, while they want to win now, the Trifecta knows it's probably going to take another year to really get the roster where they want it.
I don't think White has any impact on Bess making the roster. I think they have different skill sets and will largely be used in different capacities anyway. Bess generally isn't on the field in the Wildcat, which is where I expect White to see lots of time. With Greg Camarillo coming off an ACL, Bess could be starting early. Even if White replaces him Bess on punts, I think Bess is safe.
Make the throwback uniforms permanent!
"Muck wrote:
To be honest, I don't know if they're necessarily relying on Wake. I think that, while they want to win now, the Trifecta knows it's probably going to take another year to really get the roster where they want it.
There is no other real way to put it though Muck, we need pass rushers, we didn't draft any...yet...but waiting to rd 3 to begin to look for them is a bit late in the game, to me that means Wake and maybe JT are the new passrush.
I don't think White has any impact on Bess making the roster. I think they have different skill sets and will largely be used in different capacities anyway. Bess generally isn't on the field in the Wildcat, which is where I expect White to see lots of time. With Greg Camarillo coming off an ACL, Bess could be starting early. Even if White replaces him Bess on punts, I think Bess is safe.
Bess moves to the outside and White takes the slot? That seems a stretch though, White hasn't run routes before at any serious level, he may just be Beck's replacement as hard as that is to believe.
I cant see White taking anyone's roster spot at WR this soon. I wonder how much he'll lineup at WR anyway. Will he be more of an option QB type who comes in for special packages, and occasionally lineup at WR? I just dont see him lining up at WR on a consistent basis next season.
"Muck wrote:
Vontae Davis is outstanding value at 25. You just hope he can keep his head on straight. If he does, we got a steal.
Sean Smith, we'll see if he can do it. But he's big and he feels a need considering the division we play in.
As for Pat White, I love the pick. He's a leader, a winner and a damn good football player. West Virginia was not the same without him on the field. He's a 4.5 guy with a big arm and plenty of athleticism. He's run for right at or well above 1000 yards all four years of college. He can run and catch passes. He's an athlete.
I can't wait until we unleash him in the Wildcat and beyond. There are so many possibilities with him on the field, with our offensive coaching staff, and that excites me. And I don't feel he was a reach, as I'd seen mocks with him going in that area.
IMO, I think plenty of people....myself included....had convinced themselves going in that this regime picks LOS guys early, pretty much without exception. And that's what they were going to do today. Hey, they might have. Guys might have gone ahead of where they picked.
I think we have to remember that Cameron Wake got a contract that is essentially what a second round pick would get. So there's your front seven guy.
With Jason Taylor in their back pocket, I think the Trifecta went out and took care of the backend, while staying ahead of the curve on offense.
The "Wildcat and Beyond"...i like that muck

"DonShula84 wrote:
I cant see White taking anyone's roster spot at WR this soon. I wonder how much he'll lineup at WR anyway. Will he be more of an option QB type who comes in for special packages, and occasionally lineup at WR? I just dont see him lining up at WR on a consistent basis next season.
Exactly, it may be hard for us fans to believe, but White could simply be the #3 Qb who occasionally comes in for the wildcat and Wake is our DE/OLB pass rushing acquistion and Akin A and Crowder really our the Starters at ILB this season.
Reality is cruel.:lol:
It's a B. White makes sense for this team more than many others, and anybody who figured we were getting a WR who was sure to contribute next year was just fooling themselves. Year one WR contributors are pretty rare.
Just like White, the other two picks were used on players who have the ability to be something special if scheme and coaching coincide with determination. Now it's in the hands of the coaching staff and the players themselves.
This isn't the draft I'd run, but I knew that about BP when he was hired. You can see his influence all over this draft so far IMHO, and it is once again all too clear he's not about value drafting. Smith and White were arguably going to be there with our next pick, but why play around and miss them? I'd risk it if I were running things, but BP does not.
"Jimmy James wrote:
It's a B. White makes sense for this team more than many others, and anybody who figured we were getting a WR who was sure to contribute next year was just fooling themselves. Year one WR contributors are pretty rare.
Just like White, the other two picks were used on players who have the ability to be something special if scheme and coaching coincide with determination. Now it's in the hands of the coaching staff and the players themselves.
This isn't the draft I'd run, but I knew that about BP when he was hired. You can see his influence all over this draft so far IMHO, and it is once again all too clear he's not about value drafting. Smith and White were arguably going to be there with our next pick, but why play around and miss them? I'd risk it if I were running things, but BP does not.
i was hoping smith would just be there at 44, i dont think he would have made it much further, after us.

"FinsAreLife wrote:
Not to take any shot your post or your post or your opinion but i just hate when people put labels on players who have not played a down in the league yet. Its a set up for dissapointment. Don't get me wrong, you may very well be right and we may have struck gold with those two picks. Even if one of them is as good as either surtain or madison were for us we are in great shape. However, if they dont live up to those expectations everyone will be quite angry.
Everyone will be quite angry at some dude's post on an internet message board about the Miami Dolphins? Damn.
I'm on the fence with the Pat White pick.
Someone who's totally on board with the pick please help me to see the light.
The success of the wildcat is based on surprise, right?
The idea is that we line up in our base offense and then when we get the right look on defense we switch to the Wildcat.
If White only comes onto the field for certain packages then that takes away the element of surprise - the defense sees it coming.
So-o-o-o-o how's this going to work?.......
..thoughts?.....
"late again wrote:
I'm on the fence with the Pat White pick.
Someone who's totally on board with the pick please help me to see the light.
The success of the wildcat is based on surprise, right?
The idea is that we line up in our base offense and then when we get the right look on defense we switch to the Wildcat.
If White only comes onto the field for certain packages then that takes away the element of surprise - the defense sees it coming.
So-o-o-o-o how's this going to work?.......
..thoughts?.....
We could surprise them by running a normal play out of the wildcat, and not a wildcat option handoff like Ronnie. White could take the snap and just drop back and pass.
Ronnie could only do three things out of the wildcat. hand it to ricky, keep it up the middle, or once he threw it. All of which were predetermined.
White can actually option whether to give or keep. He can drop back and toss a long one to ginn. He can run an option. (AN OPTION IN THE NFL!) He could also line up at wr in the wildcat, and ronnie could toss it to him. I mean, this opens things up in a big way. Depends on Hennings/sparanos creativity.
Hello guys, I'm new to the forum (from Wichita, KS) but have been keeping up with the site for a couple months now. I thought now would be a good time to make my first post, mainly because I'm excited about the draft so far. I really like the CB picks and although the White pick was a big surprise, I think he will be a great pickup. White, Brown, and Williams in the backfield with the Wildcat package.....could be very exciting. With his versatility, I'm interested to see how he will be used. Also Beck is on the trade block (may be traded Sunday?) and odds are Pennington will be gone after next year. Without White, we'd be two QB's down going into 2010. I'm eager to see what happens on day 2.
"Bigkid wrote:
Hello guys, I'm new to the forum (from Wichita, KS) but have been keeping up with the site for a couple months now. I thought now would be a good time to make my first post, mainly because I'm excited about the draft so far. I really like the CB picks and although the White pick was a big surprise, I think he will be a great pickup. White, Brown, and Williams in the backfield with the Wildcat package.....could be very exciting. With his versatility, I'm interested to see how he will be used. Also Beck is on the trade block (may be traded Sunday?) and odds are Pennington will be gone after next year. Without White, we'd be two QB's down going into 2010. I'm eager to see what happens on day 2.
Welcome Brother! We are glad to have you here.:hi5:

Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!
"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
I think the ego/arrogance of our regime (which in this case is a good thing) takes over a bit with that selection. Vontae won't get away with anything here, he better be prepared to work his ass off and check his ego at the door so Bill P. and Tony S. can loom theirs large.
Another words there will be a foot in his butt if need be.:lol:

Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!
I say a B.
I like the pick of Davis, quite a bit actually. After doing some reading on smith, i like the selection of him as well. We definitely needed help at CB bigtime. There's no doubt about that.
The only thing that really kills me on this is Pat White... Surely we didnt draft him to be our franchise QB after Pennington departs (inwhatever way that may be), I just dont think we could afford a luxury pick like that for a wildcat specialist. Sure it probably signals the end of John Beck as a Phin(unless of course we try to convert White to a WR), I just dont see us in a position to make that pick. At least not with Barwin and Sintim still available. I guess that is just an indication that the FO thinks Wake, Roth, Porter and Crowrder and our present LB corps can get the job done.
As much as i dislike the pat white pick, i must say im a bit intrigued. He has boatloads of talent and potential. The question is... where? At what position? The possibilities in our offense are endless now,e specially in the wildcat with him in there, but... I just still get taken back by the fact that I just dont feel we can afford a luxury pick like that. Besides... gimmick offenses like that usually go as quickly as they come in this league. Only time will tell this this one I guess..

1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!
"Muck wrote:
As for Pat White, I love the pick. He's a leader, a winner and a damn good football player. West Virginia was not the same without him on the field. He's a 4.5 guy with a big arm and plenty of athleticism. He's run for right at or well above 1000 yards all four years of college. He can run and catch passes. He's an athlete.
I can't wait until we unleash him in the Wildcat and beyond. There are so many possibilities with him on the field, with our offensive coaching staff, and that excites me. And I don't feel he was a reach, as I'd seen mocks with him going in that area.
Exactly.
Anyone upset or dumbfounded by the Pat White pick... well, let's just say that I've been very busy, I haven't been able to pay as much attention to this draft as I have in the past, and EVEN I knew the value of Pat White to our offense.
Another Hines Ward or Antwaan Randle-El? Yeah... I'll take that. :up:
The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese
I gave the draft a B.
I have a feeling Davis, with the help of our coaching staff, will turn into a shutdown corner. The kid is a very smart playmaker with good speed and great size. You cant teach smart. You cant teach fast. You cant teach size. Great pick. I am so glad he fell to us.
I dont understand the hate for Pat White. The kid is very talented. He can expand our wildcat formation immediatly, and possibly develop into a skilled receiver. Plus, pennington will most likely be leaving after this next season...so he will be our #2 QB I imagine. Call me crazy, but I think Pat White has the best chance of being successful in this league in our offense. Something inside tells me many people will be eating much crow.
I am intrigued by Smith. Havent gotten a chance to see him much. But I love the idea of adding 2 CBs. I wasnt very happy with our CB play last year, and Eric Green didnt make me feel warm and fuzzy at all...but him as a 3rd or 4th CB I like.