Rate 2008 Draft

21 replies

FIfins77New MemberOP
Apr 25, 2010, 06:08 PM

As we all know it is impossible to rate this years draft because these guys have never played in the nfl yet but for some reason we all do so lets rate the new regime's first draft.

Round Pick Player Position School
1 1 (1) Jake Long LT Michigan A+
2 1 (32) Phillip Merling DE Clemson B-
2 26 (57) Chad Henne QB Michigan A
3 3 (66) Kendall Langford DE Hampton A
4 11 (110) Shawn Murphy G Utah State D
6 10 (176) Jalen Parmele RB Toledo C
6 29 (195) Donald Thomas G Connecticut B
6* 38 (204) Lex Hilliard FB Montana C+
7* 38 (245) Lionel Dotson DT Arizona C-

When you add in Davone Bess and Dan Carpenter this draft is a Solid A

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Apr 25, 2010, 06:09 PM

I'll tell you after this season, but it's looking pretty good.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

DaFishDaFishForum Veteran
Apr 25, 2010, 06:15 PM

I am ready for preseason to see some more of Hillard in the backfield.

I would grade this draft an A as well.

PHPhinatic425New Member
Apr 25, 2010, 06:53 PM

Thomas and Hilliard were a steal, Jake Long is a franchise LT and Henne is the man.

It's Sunday Morning, Where the Phins at?

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Apr 25, 2010, 07:00 PM

Solid B, maybe B+.

PHINFAN 4 LIFEPHINFAN 4 LIFENew Member
Apr 25, 2010, 07:03 PM

I wouls say a B+ in my opinion, very solid. Long will be a Pro-Bowl player for a long time and Henne will be there soon.

Eop05Eop05Supporter
Apr 25, 2010, 07:03 PM

"Phinatic425 wrote:

Thomas and Hilliard were a steal, Jake Long is a franchise LT and Henne is the man.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how D. Thomas and Lex Hilliard were steals.

First D. Thomas. He had a decent first half of the season this year, but it appears as if he was benched towards the 2nd half of the season for Garner. Then we picked up Incognito and drafted Jerry in the 3rd round. Doesn't say a lot for Thomas's future with this team especially as a starter.

And Lex Hilliard barely saw the field even when Ronnie Brown AND Patrick Cobbs sustained season ending injuries and we were watching Ricky fumble between 1-3 times a game while trying to carry the ball over 25 times at 32 years old.

Hardly steals.

I do agree with Jake and Henne though

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Apr 25, 2010, 07:04 PM

If Henne can improve this year to become the franchise QB we need, this draft is a solid A or even A+. Any draft that gets you a franchise QB, a top ten LOT, two solid 3-4 DEs and some additional depth is an A draft



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

CapsCapsForum Veteran
Apr 25, 2010, 07:24 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

If Henne can improve this year to become the franchise QB we need, this draft is a solid A or even A+. Any draft that gets you a franchise QB, a top ten LOT, two solid 3-4 DEs and some additional depth is an A draft

I'll take that one step further and say any draft that gets you a legitimate franchise QB is an A+ draft regardless of any other picks, it's just so difficult to find one.

We'll see if Henne can be that guy.

The Aqua CrushThe Aqua CrushNew Member
Apr 25, 2010, 07:31 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

If Henne can improve this year to become the franchise QB we need, this draft is a solid A or even A+. Any draft that gets you a franchise QB, a top ten LOT, two solid 3-4 DEs and some additional depth is an A draft

I agree APrez, if Henne is our Franchise QB, any team in history would grade out at A+ if you found your franchise QB and franchise LT in the same draft.

I would argue this is one of the most solid draft years this franchise has had in a couple decades.

Henne, Long. Plus several regular starters = great draft imo.

mlb1399mlb1399Forum Veteran
Apr 25, 2010, 07:32 PM

"Eop05 wrote:

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how D. Thomas and Lex Hilliard were steals.

First D. Thomas. He had a decent first half of the season this year, but it appears as if he was benched towards the 2nd half of the season for Garner. Then we picked up Incognito and drafted Jerry in the 3rd round. Doesn't say a lot for Thomas's future with this team especially as a starter.

And Lex Hilliard barely saw the field even when Ronnie Brown AND Patrick Cobbs sustained season ending injuries and we were watching Ricky fumble between 1-3 times a game while trying to carry the ball over 25 times at 32 years old.

Hardly steals.

I do agree with Jake and Henne though


I think anytime you get a player out of the 6th round that starts or contributes that makes it a steal. Typically with later rounds, you are looking for special teams players and depth. Hilliard isn't as big of a steal but he has contributed to our offense and scored a few touchdowns last year. Thomas showed a lot of promise but has had a difficult time staying healthy.

I think Langford, Henne and Long were all good picks. Long is a no brainer, Henne coupled with a weapon at WR should be a very good starter and Langford has been very solid. Getting 3 starters at the 3 of the most important positions in football makes 2008 a very good draft.

FIfins77New Member
Apr 25, 2010, 07:35 PM

In regard to D.Thomas and Hillard they have shown promises and the fact that as 6 rounds picks and still on the team with significant playing time is a bonus as far as were they are drafted.

Eop05Eop05Supporter
Apr 25, 2010, 07:39 PM

"mlb1399 wrote:

I think anytime you get a player out of the 6th round that starts or contributes that makes it a steal. Typically with later rounds, you are looking for special teams players and depth. Hilliard isn't as big of a steal but he has contributed to our offense and scored a few touchdowns last year. Thomas showed a lot of promise but has had a difficult time staying healthy.

I think Langford, Henne and Long were all good picks. Long is a no brainer, Henne coupled with a weapon at WR should be a very good starter and Langford has been very solid. Getting 3 starters at the 3 of the most important positions in football makes 2008 a very good draft.

That's ok, but I have a much different definition of steal. A steal to me is Tom Brady, Marquis Colston, James Harrison, Adalius Thomas, Yeremiah Bell, etc.

Not just a guy who gets some playing time on a 7-9 team. That's expected of all draft picks

mrozmrozSupporter
Apr 25, 2010, 08:02 PM

Round Pick Player Position School
1 1 (1) Jake Long LT Michigan A+, Long has been everything we wnat him to be.

2 1 (32) Phillip Merling DE Clemson C-, Has not been an impact player, need to see more production out of Merling.

2 26 (57) Chad Henne QB Michigan B, While I like what I have seen from him I still think the jury is out on Henne. We will know more at the end of this season.

3 3 (66) Kendall Langford DE Hampton A, Great pick and has been a player for us.

4 11 (110) Shawn Murphy G Utah State F, Did he ever get on the field for us?

6 10 (176) Jalen Parmele RB Toledo D, Don't really expect much from 6th rounders and he didn't give us much before he got snatched up.

6 29 (195) Donald Thomas G Connecticut B, Jury is still out on Thomas. He has shown flashes and I hope the he continues to progress.

6* 38 (204) Lex Hilliard FB Montana C, again any time you get production out of a 6th rounder you did something right.

7* 38 (245) Lionel Dotson DT Arizona C, Dotson still hanging on to a roster spot BUT can he do it again this year?

Over all I would give the team a solid B, could turn into an A IF Henne pans out.

RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18

Dolphins1BeatlesDolphins1BeatlesForum Veteran
Apr 25, 2010, 09:54 PM

So far...B+. During this year we should know some more about Henne now that Marshall is on the roster, and since he's going into his 3rd year, with 1 year of learning and 1 of starting under him. If he's legit it goes to A+

1972 Miami Dolphins - The ONLY Perfect NFL Team

K I K O

smahtazsmahtazForum Veteran
Apr 25, 2010, 10:02 PM

I don't know how to grade a draft. I do, however, know this team is light years ahead of where we were in '07.

I think it's down to a 40 some odd player turnover since then.

It's really nice to be relevant again.



It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. ~ John Wooden

rdhstlr23rdhstlr23Supporter
Apr 25, 2010, 10:21 PM

It's shaping up to be a helluva draft. I don't understand the trepidation when evaluating it right now.

That is 4 starters and 2 valuable role players--which includes one of the best starting LT's in the game and our franchise QB.

When we look back, I think this will be the best draft class ever for the Miami Dolphins.

Eop05Eop05Supporter
Apr 25, 2010, 11:52 PM

"Slowmotion wrote:

Wow. Anybody who gets drafted in the sixth round and contributes well is a steal. Thomas has excellent pass block skills and if he could run block better he could be pro bowl. He also has a bit of injury troubles too though. Hilliard is a solid back but of course Ricky Williams has name presence alone. I think anyone who can come in and contribute at such low picks are steals. No one expected them to be insane but for Thomas to even start and Hilliard to make some of the plays he made is stealing to me.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, you have it wrong. Thomas is known to be a better run blocker as his pass blocking game is lacking.

And like I said, that's fine. If you think just getting snaps and being average at best is a steal for a late round draft pick, then that's your opinion.

IMO, a steal is a late round pick who plays above average

FIFinsAreLifeNew Member
Apr 25, 2010, 11:53 PM

It really was one of our better drafts in the past decade if not the best.

Lt DanLt DanForum Veteran
Apr 26, 2010, 01:14 AM

easy A....and if you say anything else, I don't know what the hell you are looking for

BDbdhockNew Member
Apr 26, 2010, 07:20 AM

A, any time you get a franchise left tackle its good. If Henne develops into a good starting QB you have to give it an A+. I liked merling coming out I dont know why he has not done as well as I thought.

Apr 26, 2010, 10:06 AM

It looks like its going to be an A+, we'll see after this year, specifically how Henne plays.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.