1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rare positive post about Ginn

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    No one can deny that mentally Ginn is lacking confidence and fire, but those who think he doesnt have the physical talent could be mistaking.

He ran a tremendous route on Darelle Revis on MNF and burnt him for a 55 yard TD. Revis is a leading canidate for DPOY and considered by many the best corner in football.

Roddy White said Revis was the best CB he has played against saying he's like a knat, always around you.

Here are the top WR's Revis has lined up against: Steve Smith (CAR), Roddy White, Marques Colston, T.O and Randy Moss (twice) and Andre Johnson.

And in those 9 games he has given up 36 catches for only 212 yards! That folks is amazing, thats 4 catches per game while averaging only 23.5 YPG. Ginn doubled that average on one play.

So hopefully he gets his head right and his confidence up because the route running cleche' is just that, he has gotten open alot this year.

I didnt start this to open a Ginn bashing thread so please only contribute in a non-negative way, if you insist on saying something negative there are 13 other threads you can post in. Thanks.

2. Delfin Alejandro

Delfin Alejandro Premier League Champs

Dec 12, 2008
    I seriously do not know why he has not gotten the ball a bit more the past few games. It seems to me the only real deep routes in last game where to Hartline and Cam (I could be wrong) or it can be that the camera only shows certain things. It seems to me maybe they have lost some confidence in him due to the ball dropping earlier in the season. But if my mind serves me correct he has made some great catches the past 3 games, all difficult sideline catches. If you think about it they have to see something in him to keep him in there. I think as him and Henne continue to work better things will come, it all takes time. As a fan though 7 days between games does seem very long, but if you think about it he has only been playing with Henne a relatively short period time even though it feels like an eternity.

Fin-Omenal, dolfan7171 and Merauder like this.
  3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    a entire thread for one route? one route? wow

Firesole, Big E, the 23rd and 12 others like this.
  4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

consider who the route was ran against and how wide open he was

5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    gibril wilson made some good plays against drew brees. now consider who it was against. those few plays....wilson has talent!!!!

gimme a break. every corner gets roasted. every single one. no one doubts ginns speed. no one. but the OP is someone who is very adamant against pointless threads and posts....and then he starts an entire thread to remind all of us about one route that happened months ago.

pot meet kettle

the 23rd, NaboCane, eric and 3 others like this.
  6. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    He also mentioned some of those very difficult sideline catches Ginn has made this season. He also said if you don't have anything positive to say you can post on another thread.

7. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    and ill start a thread saying you must type with one hand to respond.......then you have to listen. whats this 3rd grade? its a public forum. start a ginn club if you wanna keep it all positive. this is getting ridiculous

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    no he didnt

9. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Agreed. Those first 5 full games with Henne, Ginn was terrible. The long pass in the Jets game was his lone good-to-great play at WR. He may have had a few first downs also, but that's it. He also had an abysmal 35% catch rate, and at least 5 drops (more if you count the Chargers game, and a worse catch rate), one of which led to a pick-six (though it never should have stood).

If you want a positive post about Ginn, talk about what he has done in the past 5 games. He has had no more than 2 drops (I don't even think it's been that many), you can actually live with a WR who has 2 drops every 5 games though. He has had 8 of his 11 catches over the past 5 games go for first downs, and has worked the sidelines very well on a few of them. His catch rate over the past 5 games is all the way up to 61%, which is at the very least respectable, if not good. It's also been pretty clear that he helps others get open when he is on the field, and he is certainly creating separation at times, as he was even open in overtime on the play that went for an INT.

I mean there are plenty of things to be positive about over the most recent stretch of games with Henne, as opposed to attempting to be ultra positive about the lone play that was made over what might be arguably one of the worst stretches a WR in a dolphin uniform may have ever had.

10. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Ok, it was Delfin who said that. Knitpit much?

11. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    well said pete. ts should take notes :lol:

jetssuck likes this.
  12. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Congrats to Ginn on having that one big play against Revis.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ridiculous as, say, all those threads talking negatively about Ginn? I don't care for talking bad about Ginn, it's just the excessive amount of threads. Merge them all together.

RevRick, anlgp, baboo72 and 3 others like this.
  14. hooserdaddy

hooserdaddy Season Ticket Holder

Mar 22, 2008
    I really hope that Ginn can get it together because speed is something that you just can't teach but I have NEVER seen a professional NFL player look so scared to get hit. He looking to get down as soon as someone gets close to him as oppossed to someonen like DeSean Jackson who is looking to break a big play. He looks very uncomfortable out there. I think the book on Ginn is to jam him at the line because he has trouble beating the jam, and it disrupts the timing of the play.

15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    agreed. but an entire thread for one play from months ago.....is laughable.

NaboCane likes this.
  16. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    He has 11 catches in his past 5 games.
    We used to get that kind of production out of Rob Konrad.

Positive: Ted Ginn is about as good a WR as Rob Konrad.

NaboCane likes this.
  17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    There's a couple that are like that, just talking negatively about him.

anlgp, GISH, SICK and 1 other person like this.
  18. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i said i agreed :lol:

19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That's incredibly misleading for a number of reasons. Konrad on his receptions is coming out of the backfield and working on LBs, if anyone. In addition to that, his ypc was incredibly low (well under 10ypc, not that there is anything wrong with that for a FB). Konrad really didn't run the variety of routes that Ginn has been running, nor do I recall him ever working the sideline. Ever. Not to mention Ginn is getting time like the 4th WR, so I don't know why anyone would expect him to have "team leading" numbers with the snaps he's getting.

Delfin Alejandro likes this.
  20. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Someone had a highlight video of his big plays a few months ago on the board. It seems a lot of people think Ginn has never had an impact and never made a good play in his career. He has shown a ton of flashes of his talent - even entire games. His problem has been consistency.

I think you bring him to camp and hope that his hands come back and match his improved ability to get separation. If they do, you have a decent weapon - even with his fear of getting hit.

Edit - here is a URL to some highlights - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6lEl2wOn1A"]YouTube- The best of Ted Ginn Jr.[/ame]

I encourage the people that say he has never done anything or that his hands have always been horrible to watch this.

21. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I'm hoping a lot of his issues this year were just an adjustment to a new QB with a new type of throw.

Maybe after playing with him for the year, TC, and getting another #1 he'll start to pay dividends. Then again, I think we see #1 Receiver, Hartline, and Bess in the slot. But eh. I think the problem for Ted Ginn is that we just have people playing the receiver position better than him right now, and even if he seems like he's coming on and makes some plays, picking up someone who can consistently do it will remove his usefulness. As it stands now, Hartline has been a better receiver this year for us than Ginn. And we all know that the NFL, and its fans are a what have you done lately for me league.

Delfin Alejandro likes this.
  22. Delfin Alejandro

Dec 12, 2008
    Pat White and Ginn need to hit the Cuban restaurant tour and bulk up a little. Maybe he wont be as scared if he is a little bigger. LOL

23. JimToss

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Yeah there was a bit of joking on my post there. I by no means believe Konrad is actually a better WR.

Ginn has fallen on the depth chart to the degree that he is probably the #4 WR on the team. Probably the #6 option with Ricky and Fasano ahead of him. Ginn's production has been that of a #4 WR.

24. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He's arguably been very consistent in recent weeks though. I'm not saying he is irreplaceable, but 61% catch rate and having 72% of your receptions go for first downs is pretty good.

I mean there are probably people on this team playing WR better right now, but there are multiple people in the league playing better than ANY WR on our team. More than just Ginn is replaceable IMO.

Fin-Omenal and PhiNomina like this.
  25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I looked at Konrad's stats, and couldn't believe he actually had a 10 catch game before. I mean how bad was our passing game that game where Konrad got 10+ passes his way?

jetssuck, SICK, JimToss and 1 other person like this.
  26. Delfin Alejandro

Dec 12, 2008
    I think Ginn has been the easiest scape goat for fans to vent there frustrations. Its easy when a guy that has dropped the ball several times gets thrown a pass that will get a nice chunk of yardage and then it was a bit overthrown he does not catch it. People do not see that the ball was overthrown, people add it to Ginns ball drops. Im not blaming anyone other than himself for building up that bad rep of ball dropper. Remember though a lot of the long passes he was thrown after the Jets super play where not good throws. Commentators do not help his cause either as all they say is "well you have to make those catches Bill".

27. JimToss

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Woah! Yeah he did.
    I was just kind of blowing smoke when I said it because I remember Konrad catching 2-3 passes out of the backfield a game.

But he had 2 years of 35 receptions with 230+ yards receiving.

Hell yeah to Rob Konrad! Check down Fielder!

28. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I think Woodson has had a better year than Revis and is the leader of DPOY.

Not going to say anything about Ginn, but look at all the great corners of the past, have they not ever gotten beaten by anyone?

I hope Ginn does turn it around.

Fin-Omenal and Stitches like this.
  29. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Remember when John Beck completed a pass over 10 yards?

That was awesome too.

30. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Well I seem to recall Konrad being a 2nd rd pick, so I hope he at least was doing something well for us. I know it didn't last, that's for sure.

31. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    True, but I think making a massive overhaul of our WRs this year is a mistake. They're performing at a decent level. Plus with the other needs we have, I really can't see us picking up more than a stud FA WR, or drafting high for one and maybe picking another later in the draft to hope for a diamond in the rough.

So that being said, when it boils down, I think Ginn is on the outside looking in against the remaining receivers. I'll be the first person to say he's improved greatly from how he was at the start of the year. But excluding Turner, I'd say all of our WRs have played better across the entirety of the year than Ginn. So that unless he makes the most of these last two big games, that need for a #1 WR, and the performance of Hartline, Bess, and Camarillo, might make him expendable.

So basically yeah, I agree with everything you said, but what I was trying to point out is that just due to the situation we're in, even though there are plenty of better receivers out there, I just don't see us making that many moves at the WR position, as ours are for the most part passable, and there are other positions of concern.

Stitches likes this.
  32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Not to be a dick, but Ginn didn't even burn Revis on that play.

It looked like Rhodes was supposed to be covering him in the zone and didn't realize where he was. Looked like Revis was just trying to play catchup after Rhodes messed up the coverage.

33. finfaninilinois

finfaninilinois Active Member

Nov 29, 2009
    the key word in that statement is FLASHES

34. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Nope, it was man coverage with safety help. Revis even admitted after the game he got beat. Had it been a zone, Revis would have jammed Ginn at the line and went after his other responsibility. Since the safety had no other responsibility on the play, his job is to help on the deep man.

That's what I took from it anyway.

35. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I followed saying he has shown flashes by saying his problem was consistency. What more were you looking for?

I realize Hartline has made a few good plays - but I think we can all agree Ginn has more pure physical ability to make a big play than any of our WR's. He has shown flashes of doing this and the biggest pat on the back I gave him was "we bring him into camp to see if he can put it together".

I love that saying he has shown "flashes" and that we should "bring him into camp" is even met with complaints.

Fin-Omenal and alen1 like this.
  36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Remember when Chad Pennington completed a pass over 10 yards? Oh wait...

37. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    2008 he had 38 passes 20+ yards and 8 over 40 yards...............

38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Was being sarcastic bro. Did you really think I thought he never completed a pass over ten yards? lol.

39. phin616

phin616 Semper Paratus

Dec 13, 2009
    Nothern Virginia
    Remember when Chad Pennington helped get us in the Playoffs? I think that was last season?

40. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    Consider that Ginn is just faster and really didn't run an AMAZING route, he just outran Revis.