1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Randy Starks not showing up for Voluntary Workouts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by seabass0795, Apr 16, 2013.

1. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    @RapSheet: Dolphins DT Randy Starks won't attend voluntary offseason conditioning. He will attend mandatory mini-camp. Franchised, wants long-term deal

I think we should sign him long-term, but so far that hasnt been the case. I remember when e was tagged he went on twitter to say that he wants to be in Miami long-term

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's ok. The best part is that EVERYONE else showed up.

3. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    No surprise here with him being tagged. I am glad that everyone else showed up.

4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

We have until June to get it done so I'm hopeful we do.

5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I doubt they'd have tagged him just to keep him around for one more year. I'd bet if they're going to replace one between he and Soliai, that'd it'd be Soliai.

6. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I think they get it done after the draft. We may end up getting a couple DT's in the draft, you never know.

7. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    From the standpoint of Randy being a Dolphin through and through is it really worth him not showing up due to a 'contract'? Its about his fellow team-mates getting fit and in shape. Its a players perogative to get the runs and exercise in together. I'm uncomfortable with Starks not being there. It stinks of his agent in his ear giving 'advice'. It's only about ironing out the details. Or am I wrong? As a player surely him not being there is counter-productive? Or...are these voluntary camps unimportant?

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I thought a good line of speculation was whether the Dolphins and Chiefs were amicable to swapping disgruntled franchisees. Both guys are 29 years old. Both guys are on one-year franchise tenders. If the Chiefs dump Albert they can easily replace with Luke Joeckel, yet they need a defensive tackle pretty bad and may not get a very good one in the 2nd round. If the Dolphins dump Starks they can arguably replace either by taking Sheldon Richardson or by taking a true D-End at 12 and putting Odrick inside, yet they need a left tackle pretty bad and may not get a good one in the 2nd round.

In other words, the circumstances marry well. There would be no need for a trade if the Chiefs were comfortable with Lotulelei or Floyd at #1 overall but they may see player(s) that rate higher, such as Joeckel and/or Fisher. The Dolphins would have no need to trade if they could count on one of the three tackles being available at 12, but the guys they could pick (Fluker, Watson?) at 12 would carry a lot lower value than other players they could take.

It would be an interesting trade scenario.

Daben, HULKFish, FinNasty and 2 others like this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I don't blame him, in effect he did not hit FA against his will, so why volunteer?

We can say "oh, but he should be here anyway" but the way I see it he is merely treating the team the way the team treated him, anyone else recall the various vets who had yrs and millions taken away from them at risk of being released?

They showed up for this sort of stuff, still wound up being cut, it's hard to have leverage against a employer in the NFL

10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    That's a good scenario. I'm in. Someone call Jeff.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    A strait up swap for both franchised players?, I would do that, then move Odrick inside and attack the position in the draft...say Datone jones a bit later, if Sheldon is off the board.?

12. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Starks is tagged as a DT, right? If so, the Chiefs would even save money if they made that trade.

13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah they'd save about a million bucks or so.

14. M1NDCRlME

M1NDCRlME Fear The Spear

Oct 26, 2009
    Orlando
    Maybe it's the food that gives him the runs. I don't think he wants them.

15. Marino1384

Marino1384 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Not a surprise really. We can sit and criticize how much his franchise is but these guys have nothing to protect them if he gets hurt under a franchise tag. Granted most of us can live the rest of our lives on 9 mil they have a much higher price of living. Plus most of these guys can't walk in their 40's and certainly can't help the guys that are 300 plus pounds as well as getting smacked every play. Don't feel bad for the guy but don't blame him either,everyone else would do te same in his shoes