1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Randy Starks doing great thus far at NT

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, May 30, 2010.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
  2. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Starks might indeed be doing well, but the problem with Sparano's quotes is that he's full of **** when it comes to speaking to the press. According to him, Ginn was doing well, Gibril Wilson was doing well, Ernest Wilford was doing well, the WR core was just fine the way that it was before the Brandon Marshall trade, etc., etc. He's like a replay of a scene from "Catcher in the Rye" when Holden Caulfield senses that an adult is lying by saying something and them following it up with something like "I really do" or I really mean it".

Sparano last year on Reggie Torbor:

"I feel really confident with Reggie Torbor," Sparano said. "There's a specific style that Reggie plays that I really like. If you said to me, 'Coach, give me five guys on your team that really get it, they get it, they've got your message hook, line and sinker, and they get it,' Reggie Torbor is one of them."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...phins-torbor-crowder-20091106,0,5260193.story

Well, apparently not so much these days, since he was released.

I hope that Starks is doing well. Sparano is just one of those guys who, like Jeff Ireland, has to be judged soley by his actions, not by his words.

Merauder, miamiron, GMJohnson and 2 others like this.
  3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

In an earlier thread, someone posted a link where Sparano said he's doing well at the line and absorbing the blocks but he has problems with play selection. Different sources tend to clear things up.

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    no surprise to me

5. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Sparano is, nonetheless, full of **** when it comes to talking to the press. Ireland, too. Here's a Jeff Ireland classic:

"We have our evaluation of Gibril Wilson," Ireland said at the time. "We know what kind of player he's capable of being. I think he's going to be a very good player for the future. He was disappointed in his play last year. He will tell you that. I think he can play better. We'll just have to see. I think he will."

Of course, everyone assumed Ireland meant Wilson would play better for the Dolphins. Bad assumption. The Dolphins cut Wilson when the new league year opened in March.

"I didn't say anything that was wrong," Ireland told me during our interview. "I didn't say anything that was false. If you read the transcript, I said he's going to be a good player in the future. I knew what I was saying. You know, he's a player on my team. And I'm going to defend a player on my team. I'm not going to say anything else bad out there. I do believe he's going to be a good player in the future. I like the kid. It was probably not the right position for him. That's obvious now. But I did believe what I was telling you. I was telling the truth.

"I just wasn't giving you every thought in my head."

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-interview-the-wilson-flap.html#ixzz0pXeRz8yS

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    [​IMG]

Randy Starks? Why he's doing great, just fine I tell ya...Yeah, that's the ticket!...

Larryfinfan likes this.
  7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    The pre draft Wilson talk is understandable, especially if they were looking to trade him for a late round pick. Also, not revealing Starks move to NT until after the draft hid the fact the we were targeting Odrick. Not saying theres always a football related motive for the style they use, its probably just that they straight up dont like the media. When youve got Omar Kelly bashing Chad Henne for throwing to many check downs in MINI CAMP, or Salguero writing his "Im smarter than Parcells" type blogs/articles, then its not hard to see why the front office loathes reporters.

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Well even if he was telling the truth, it is without pads.

This is the worst football time ever. So boring.

9. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I don't disagree with anything that you just wrote. My point is simply that the Miami Dolphins front office is full of **** when it comes to dealing with the media, and I would be skeptical on any praise coming out of Tony Sparano's mouth. Judge them by what they do, not what they say.

10. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

True enough, Jim1....Sparano does not degrade his players to the press, no matter how poor they are. If he does say something negative about a player, it's specific and planned out, as if to 'motivate' the player, not to degrade them. Some how, that sits well with me. I don't want him degrading his players in the press, that belongs behind closed doors. But I'd bet that a conversation between he and JP last season in his office would have been interesting...

11. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Lol oh yeah, I definitely agree there. Sometimes I wish Sparano would be a little more blunt/honest, but the no media thing comes from higher up Im guessing. Parcells, to his credit, was more blunt, and wouldnt hide his disdain for a player, if anything he was more stingy when it came to praising players publicly. Sparano seems to walk on egg shells, like he's afraid to offend/embarass any of his players. Not good IMO. He has shown that he'll get on a player during the game, so Ill give him marks for that. I wish hed've sent Porter straight to the locker room whe he refused to come off the field though.