1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raji in trouble?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by texanphinatic, Apr 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4037535

Reportedly tested positive for an unnamed substance at the Combine. This comes in addition to missing the '07 season for academic issues. Remember that Dumb as a fencepost quote that was reported? There was speculation it was ReyRey or Vontae Davis ... maybe it was Raji? Could he follow Andre Smith down the board, or will his huge size and upside still lure someone up at the top?

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

As I have repeatedly said, I wouldnt touch Ray M with the 25...perhaps not even with our 2a...however, if Raji were to slide that far....even though he is possibly looking at some sort of suspension(IS that even possible before he is in the league. :sad:) I would love for him to slip to us at 25.....

3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think since he tested positive he's automatically put in the league's substance abuse program (i.e. he's got 1 strike before he's played a down) but won't face a suspension unless another positive test occurs. He'll be tested more frequently now.

4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Perhaps, however, I could see there being legal angles he could take. It's not like he is even an employee of the NFL at this point..

JJ? Phil? Can either of you two spread light on the legal aspects?

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    If its Weed then I don't think its a big deal.

6. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

It was not a big deal for Aqib Talib last year when the Bucs took him in the 1st rd

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  7. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Did Talib test positive, or was he one of those guys who admitted using in the past?

I remember Louis Castillo testing positive for some kind of steroid and maybe he served a 2-4 game suspension, but I cant be entirely sure on it.

The big question in my mind is if and how far he might fall at this point. Its one thing to take a guy with a weed issue in the late round like Talib, another if your a top 10 pick. Personally, unless its somthing bad, I think the Packers/Broncos would still take a shot.

8. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Talib may have addmitted it but the fact is you know he smoked it before. Talib went before pick 25. I would not call that a late round pick

9. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    its just weed

10. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Raji has denied the report.

And now SI.com has pulled it.

Good thing these guys' personal reputations haven't been affected. :rolleyes:

11. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The NFL has informed Raji (and several others including Vontae Davis, Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing) that they have not failed any drug tests.
    I doubt they really fall at this point, the teams should know one way or another.

At this point, the farthest Raji could go imo is Denver at 12, unless teams are concerned about his past more than just a false test result now. He was suspended for poor academics at BC and either failed a drug test or was caught with pot as well. So if he does fall, Id attribute more to that than this "test" that was just revealed false.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I dont trust any person who is an athlete at this level and does'nt take care of their body, and be in the best shape you can be...BJ fits the bill.sloppy body. no thank you.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  13. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I stumbled upon this followup analysis to an interview with Raji by a Jaguars fan who works for a draft site. I think Raji is a guy who is not going to fall too much just due to sheer talent, but he certainly could drop a bit if he is going around giving poor interviews.

Also love the props given to Barwin. He quickly has become my favorite defensive prospect in the draft.