1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick thoughts on Ohio State/Wisconsin game

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Oct 19, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'm not a fan of QB Terrelle Pryor of Ohio State. Don't like his throwing motion and not crazy about his run ability- no good for base O or wildcat. I wouldn't draft him-period. I'd take the Wisc QB before Pryor easily.

Best player on the field- Wisc LT Gabe Carimi, with apologies to John Clay. If not for the Long/Carey combo I'd very much like to get Carimi. Great size/base and strength, moves well. Spends a litle too much time on the ground, maybe balance issues. But overall he's way solid- reminds me a bit of Jake Long- run game mauler and pretty darned good in pass pro. He dominated OSU DL at the end of the game, Wisc pounded the ball left side over OSU. He killed it.

Wisc LB Sorensen- heck of a player, not sure of his size or speed. Simply put, I'd like to see more. Very heady and instinctive, around the ball a lot like a Mario Harvey or Sean Lee. Hard not to like him as a college player, not sure about measurables and pro potential.

JJ Wyatt- how can you not like him? Personification of grit and hustle, perseverence and determination. I think that he's about 6-5 250, not sure. Has good short term quicks and uses his hands really well. Strong at the point of attack and fought/hustled his way to 3 sacks. A winner. Just a player, flat out. Definitely on the radar, could see him as another 3/4 OLB edge setter.

Back to John Clay- definitely on the radar with RW and RB getting older/contract issues. About 250 lbs iirc and what, 6-1 or so. A beast of a back with some quicks, I like this guy. Might have character concerns, not sure. but definitely draftable and definitely on my radar.

Wisc QB- I like him. Looks to have good size and his accuracy was impressive. 3/4 sideways motion reminiscient of Tony Romo in my opinion. Hopefully no one will eff with his motionb a la John Beck- as with Romo, pls leave his throwing motion alone. Looked very draftable in my book, but for us? Not sure that he's any better than Tyler Thigpen.

OSU DE Heyward- invisible- was he even out there? My targets all Wisconsin- JJ Wyatt, Carimi and John Clay.

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    J.J. Watt is going to go pretty high as a 3-4 end or 4-3 tackle IMO. I don't think he has the quickness to be a steady pass rusher.

John Clay is a guy I'd steer clear of. Has a history of fumbles, carries some extra weight IMO and has had a lot of lower leg injuries.

Gabe Carimi I like too. He just needs to work on some technique and he needs to be consistently strong at the POA IMO. I've seen him two years now and he's not consistent at the POA but he's gotten better.

Terrelle Pryor is Vince Young again IMO.

Cameron Heyward is a good prospect.

3. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Wyatt looks like he uses his hands very well and from what I saw his quickness was good, accentuated by his all out hustle. Carimi very solid and from what I saw was very good at poa. I need to see more, but I think it was you who mentioned a while back that he spends too much time on the ground, very true. I like Clay quite a bit- I've heard of some character concerns but I'm not sure what they are.

As to Dolphins now- we still need a WR across from Brandon Marshall- today should be interesting with him out. And if Henne keeps regressing I'll have my eye on Christian Ponder until the draft. Could be a very interesting mid-late 1st or second round pick. I'm still jealous of the Bucs getting both Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn in the draft, great job by them.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think Watt has consistent quickness but to each their own.

As I said, Carimi has improved but he still needs work.

Regarding quarterbacks, I don't see a better option than Chad Henne, unless you're getting Andrew Luck. If it was up to me, I'd draft someone like Greg McElroy late.

ssmiami likes this.
  5. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    There's no chance Ponder goes in 1st or 2nd round. He won't till after round 4 IMO

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Heywards stock has declined this season imo, Chekwa will be a late 1st early 2nd imo other than that not sure ANY Buckeye goes in the top 3 unless someone takes a Welker type flyer on Dane Sanzenbacher.

I think Posey is a tad underrated and would love the Dolphins to nab him in the 4th or so.

7. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Don't bet on it. Ponder is a player and imo a darned good pro QB prospect. If he was there in the 4th or 3rd for that matter I'd be frothing at the mouth. Let's face it, the jury on Henne is still out. Despite the Bears game I kind of like Thigpen, but he's still a relatively unknown quantity.

8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Wyatt as a 4-3 DT? He seems awfully light for that but I'm not sure what he weighs. I was thinking DE or 3/4 OLB a la Roth and Francis.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Watt is 292.

10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Wow. Then at 292 I really like his quickness, thought he was much lighter. Dude's a player.

11. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    JJ Watt is a terrific player. I think Carimi can be a Pro Bowl RT.

Don't see the fuss in Chimdi Chekwa. MUCH better corner prospects out there.

12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Agreed on both. I can see Carimi going to the Steelers late in the 1st- from what I saw he might deserve to go higher. I might get slightly nauseus if the Steelers get him or JJ Wyatt. Wyatt is relentless, but they have Ziggy Hood in the rotation now. They need help at both positions but imo OT more and probably G, too. Pouncy set at C. Alen1 made a very good point earlier about Carimi being on the ground too often- that being said I think that he can be a solid LT at the next level as well. A mauler with pretty darned good feet and kickslide imo, not sure why he hits the turf so often. Btw great call by you on WR Mike Williams from Syracuse/Tampa Bay.