1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for my draft gurus...ATTN CK/Boom/Con

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by finyank13, Mar 19, 2010.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    As we know Ricky hired Drew Rosenhaus as an agent, and wants to play after the 2010 season. So here is what we have, Ricky Williams who is getting up there in age, slowing a little bit, undeniably gets the job done, and I love his attitude and leadership. However based on his past couple of years, and lets say he has a good year this year too, and is marketed in the off season as 2nd RB type (who I personally think is one of the best along with Jonathan Stewart), he could potentially, and deservedly want a contract to rich for Miami to take on....

Which moves us to RB, who also is a concern, no contract after this year, if they play. Kid is a talent, said he wants to play in Miami, but we all know Billy don't like people not on the field. They could play hardball with him too, and isn't out of the realm of possibility he could walk to....

My draft question is this, LeGarrette Blount in the 3rd round make any sense, he essentially would be Ricky's replacement? I like him, ran good times for his size, pretty decent workouts too, has a nasty streak as we all know, and is younger obviously, and covets that big body we know the FO likes at the RB position. We right now are strong at RB, but that could change very very quickly after this year..Does LB fit into the FO's draft boards, does he slip into the 4th? Do they take a shot on yet another "questionable" guy? If not LB, who could be possibilities at this position later in the draft. Please answer ohhhh wise ones!!!!!

2. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    the simple answer is no ..... i say this purely from the standpoint that this FO doesn't usually treasure RBs .... they have in the past just reached out to the scrap heap and plugged in older RBs (such as RW). Of course, Ronnie and the WC are an unusual circumstance for this FO.

the only change to this was in Dallas .... but not sure how much of that was driven by this FO vice JJ .....

i could see Spiller in rd 1, because he has special talent .... but in reality, i don't see us spending much more than a late 5-7 round pick on a RB.

Bpk likes this.
  3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    huh?? Ricky was the premier RB when we got him, and was at the top of this game, before he turned into Bob Marley and got suspended.......Ronnie was a 1st round pick....they have recently back filled that position because of those 2, however they aren't relying on Hillard in 2011 as the number 1 RB, if those two leave.....Spiller in the first absolutely not, with all those other needs....they arent and wont trash heap the number 1 RB position in 2011 if they both leave...

4. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Bpk and finyank13 like this.
  5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    yeah I saw that, they questioned his schedule though not so much his workout right?? How come nobody is questioning Bryant's blowing off of workout days...

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO it's a big assumption that RW wants to play beyond 2010. It's just as likely that he's trying to seek out opportunities for after football, more IMO. I think he probably feels comfortable negotiating his own contracts since the last one was reportedly a very easy process. But he probably needs someone to look for media deals and such after football.

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't believe RB is an option for the Dolphins before the 4th round at the earliest, unless they trade Ronnie Brown.

But remember, trading Brown is still a 50/50 thing at this point. We may not have heard much about it lately, but there are probably things in the works already laid out that just depend on how certain scenarios play out.

I don't agree with the premise that Ricky Williams can EVER claim a big contract again. I think with the way his career has gone, he's going to be underpaid for the rest of it. The coaches love him though.

Boik14, Bpk and finyank13 like this.
  8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    he does want to....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/19/ricky-williams-plans-to-play-beyond-2010/

Ricky isnt the most marketable guy commercials wise or any endorsement deal, he probably still doesnt like cameras and microphone, and the spotlight...I think the Rosenhaus thing, is strictly to get him the most money after this year that he can possibly get, as an aged number 2 RB, with gas left in the tank....still to this day his IMO is one of the strongest RB in the league...

Bpk likes this.
  9. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I'd be surprised if Ricky got more than 2 mil a year anywhere. That would even be a good amount at his age, and as a backup/platooning guy.

I don;t like Blount's character, and running backs are a dime a dozen. Give me Ben Tate in the 4th round and I'm happy. He'd look good behind this O-line.

When you pay an O-line what we do, you don;t need a top of the first round running back.

10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    yeah if your O-Line is stacked anybody can run in the NFL, look at Thomas Jones last year, he is good, but 1400 yards good?? I think that had more to do with the Jets O-Line......

11. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I am no draft expert, but an Oregon Ducks fan.

I personally think that Blount isn't going to work in the NFL, which is hard for me to say being a fan.
    I think the kid has some skills. Can definitely run hard and tough, when he wants to that is.
    He is a bruiser in college, but am not entirely sure that can translate to the NFL. He certainly has victimized people, but from what I remember his big hits were mostly players in the secondary.
    He come from a system that to a large degree it is plug and play with RB's. He was special in it, but certainly never looked like Johnathan Stewart. In 2008 he also split time with Jeremiah Johnson, and to a large degree was a backup to him. Blount would come in in goal line situations or in the second half (in which Oregon did most of their damage.) His numbers are a bit inflated. He was better then Johnson, but was limited it workload and not by a significant margin.
    Most of Blount successful runs were through gaping holes. He will do a bit of dancing if he doesn't see a hole which usually equates to a loss of yards. Until he gets a head of steam he really isn't that powerful.

My major concern with him is his work ethic. He was a Ju-Co transfer I believe because of academics. After 2008 he was also suspended for "Team rules." He was reinstated but when the start of the 2009 season rolled around he seemed to not be in playing shape at all. Looked very slow. Then of course came the punch which needs not to even be discussed.

I was halfway relieved when he was suspended because I personally like LaMichael James more. Better in the read.

I really didn't intend to be this critical of him but after rereading I guess I'm basically saying, I don't think he has a shot in the NFL. But, I've been very wrong before.

I personally like Hardesty from TN. But I haven't watched tons of him.

BB Ocho and finyank13 like this.
  12. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That is simply not true. Parcells brought Martin with him while he was with the Jets and paid a hefty price (1 and 3) and also invested a 2 in julius jones in dallas. They didnt pull RW out of the scrap heap, they simply gave him the chance to get his career back. I do agree that we wont see a RB picked before round 5 though but I think a guy like Blount who is a good back and a bruising back which you know this regime likes could be around a bit later...maybe if use a couple of those 6's to get in to round 5 we could grab him there. :wink2:
    Well bro, the 4.35M hes getting this year isnt exactly peanuts. Thats pretty big for a 1 year deal. :up:

Ben Tate isnt going to be there in round 4. IMO you're probably looking at the back end of round 2/early round 3 for Tate. You MIGHT have a chance for Hardesty in round 4.

13. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Ricky has not said that he wants to play past 2010.

14. Bpk

Thought he had said so. Saw it on PFT somewhere.

15. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I love Legarrette Blount but not with the 3rd. He's a change of pace back, a bruiser, a 3rd and short type. If he's around the 6th round I would instantly grab him. 4th round or 3rd round is too high. The value isnt there for what he would be for us

finyank13 likes this.
  16. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    you misunderstand what i mean by trash heap ... RW was indeed in the trash heap when this regime came in, do you think he would have gotten a better contract anywhere else than what he got from us. Every year there are multiple older stop gap RBs available .... what i call the trash heap. there are only a few RBs that are worth the pick and $$$$$

with regrad to Jones ... do we know whether that was a Parcells pick - or a JJ pick. He has spent 3 X 1st round pick on a RB - Adams, Hampton & Russell, 1 X 2d round pick - Jones .... He got Martin (a stud) in the 3d .... he saw his value and brought him to NY - not too surprising, since he was still relatively young, and a workhorse.

My point is that how he gets his RBs is different from most coaching staffs, outside of his NYG days, it is rare that he invests a day 1 pick on one ... well, now include day 2 ....

Curtis Martin was the best RB he ever drafted, and maybe the best RB he ever coached -- so no surprise that he gave up what he did to take him with him.

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That doesn't say he wants to. That says that PFT thinks he wants to.

18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Ricky Williams isn't doing Nike commercials...he is playing football...that's why the agent was hired....

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    In your opinion.

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    There is no market for him, a 2 RB in the NFL....why not J. Stewart then?? Not to mention he still shy's away from the camera, and the spotlight...the only thing I could see him doing is like NFL "Play 60" commercials, or a local yoga or whatever the hell he is into commercial....but he isnt going to land G2, reebok stuff.....his history is what companies will shy away from I would think...

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    RWs is incredibly popular for a back who hasn't really done more than have one good year. I don't know if it's his eccentric views or what, but I could very easily see him end up on some show. At a minimum, it would make sense for him to explore it.

And it doesn't even matter if you agree on whether he will or won't find something. The point is that hiring an agent could be done for more than one reason. Since we don't know the reason, we can't assume it's b/c he plans to play beyond the year he stated he wanted to retire.

22. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    ummmm what?? do you mean with Miami?? or in the NFL, in both cases I think your off base...2 of 3 seasons in NO he had over 1000 yards rushing, and 400 receiving.....in Miami 3 out of 6 years he had over 1000 yards rushing (including the 2000 all purpose year) with 16, 9, and 11 TD's respectively...

In the end, I agree he could have Drew for other opportunities, but given his nature I dont see it, but who knows things could change right?? I am always wrong, but at least at the end of the day we are on a forum why, to agree and disagree and hear each others thoughts, it matters to me if you disagree, maybe I will learn something...

you almost made me cry Raf, making me all feel bad bro.....I thought we were friends....lol...:cry:

23. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I didn't mean that your opinion of his marketability didn't matter b/c I don't value it. I just meant that it wouldn't confirm one way or the other why he hired Drew R.

As for RW, IMO he had one great season he rest did not qualify as great. I see him as a less successful version of Jamal Lewis. And people rarely talk about how great Lewis was.

24. Bpk

Let's be fair, he has had four or five good years and one GREAT year.