1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about the CBA

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shula_guy, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Something I do not understand that hopefully one of you can clear up for me.

If the players dissolved the NFLPA then do the owners really have any reason to lock players out? Arn't the owners now free of the unions rules? Are they not free to pay players whatever they want now and offer them whatever benefits they feel is appropiate. Unless the players are going to strike I do not understand why football is on hold. Why cant teams sign players if there is no union?

2. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    With out a CBA the draft is illegal, as are any restrictions on free agency.

**edit**

So the owners don't want a season with no CBA, they just don't like the CBA that they agreed to. Thus they opt out of the agreed CBA and lock out the players in an attempt to force the players to agree to a CBA that the owners do like.

shula_guy likes this.
  3. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    To go a step further, without a CBA, there is no football. The NFL is walking a very fine line in anti-trust law. The only way they can operate is with an agreement from both sides to do so.

A legal secretary could wipe out the draft, and likely the NFL being able to dictate to 32 individual businesses what they pay people. If that goes away, we have baseball with teams paying whatever they want to whoever they want.

4. would that be so terrible?

5. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Hard to say. The big market teams would have a huge advantage in signing top FA's, and "potentially" top draft picks, if the draft is no longer there.

Small market teams would suffer, and parity would likely change a great deal. Our owner is the second richest in the NFL. So, maybe it would be a good thing for our Dolphins.

6. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    For God's sake, just give me my human supercollider!

7. Yes I have considered what your saying and the most obvious response is to look at the devil rays and the orioles. One spends very little money and wins while the other spends lots of money to come in last. I don't know that money spent translates into championships. I do however have a system in mind that I think would work.

1. Make all contracts legally binding for the entirety of its terms. No cutting players to get out of paying them. That is something that is very unfair IMO.

2. I would get rid of the draft as we know it and let teams make closed bids on rookies and allow the player to chose which offer they like the best. I would keep an agreed upon salary cap in place to keep teams from being too cheap with the players and also to stop them from trying to buy a super bowl by breaking the bank.

3. Get rid of the 52 man roster rule and allow teams to carry as many players as they want, because with the salary cap in place it prevents them from buying talent just to keep them off of their opponents teams. What I hope it would do, is provide teams the ability to create depth in positions that players are typically injured at from being played when unhealthy.

4. Eliminate designating how many picks a team gets in each draft. If the goal of the draft system is to create parody in the league then I think this system actually would do a better job of that. There are many instances where the team who placed last does not want or need the 1st pick overall in the draft. They are not one big star away from being competitive. They have many holes to fill and would be better off targeting several mid round players instead where as the opposite is true for the teams at the bottom of the round. Playoff teams are typically only a piece or two away from being a super bowl contender and have much more interest in drafting a high prospect big money rookie out of the draft but they cant do it because they pick too late to get the guy they need. I just think its bad for the game how they do it and it really does not promote parody like they say it does.