1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QB's splitting first team snaps, but not Henne

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinphever, May 22, 2008.

1. phinphever

phinphever Punk, Make My Day!!

Dec 20, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    I'm Not sure, why isn't Henne also spliting first team snaps with Beck and McCown.
    It is still early in the process but does anyone see this as an issue?

QBs split 1st-team reps
    John Beck, a 2007 second-round pick, was the quarterback who took most of the first-team snaps during the practice session. Josh McCown took the bulk of his snaps with the second team, and rookie quarterback Chad Henne primarily worked with the third stringers.

Sparano said Beck and McCown have been rotating who works with the starting unit daily.

"It gives them a chance to work with a specific group of receivers at one point, and then seeing that quarterback in an environment where he's got to rise above anything else," Sparano said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolnotes22sbmay22,0,661504.story

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I dont see this as a major issue. Henne is new here, Beck has experience with most of the offensive guys, Mccown has NFL experience, Henne is just learning everything new from scratch. I think in time if he proves he's worthy of taking snaps with the 1st and 2nd teams, they'll move him up. Lets make him earn it, not just shove him in there with the first team right away

3. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Henne is a rookie and doesn't know the offense well enough to run it with the first team yet. It's cool.

4. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami

Henne is a rookie man...... that's as plain an answwer as you need.

Potential is simply potential. Until he shows he may be able to translate any of his potential to the NFL game they aren't going to waste snaps with the 1st team.

Only fans would expect a rookie to come in and start right off the bat, reality is that scenario rarely happens and if it does it rarely ends well.

5. phinphever

phinphever Punk, Make My Day!!

Dec 20, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    I agree but the reason I am bringing it up is that many guys think Henne coming here spelled doom for Beck. I just didn't see it that way. The fact that he is a rookie and just learning the ropes will make it a lot harder to win the starting job. I think some were convinced that Beck was not the guy and assumed Ryan would be in the starter by default. Of course showing not much respect for McCown's abilty to win the job.

edited Replaced Henne for Ryan doh

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    My thinking is that Ryan even in his rookie year would have been enough of an upgrade to earn or at least compete equally for the starting job over Beck or McCown. Or at least it would have been if the FO had invested the dollars it would have taken to bring Ryan in. Henne is probably even enough talent wise with both guys that the fact that he is a rookie might earn him less reps with first team, but this is just my opinion.

7. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    He had trouble at the end of rookie camp and that was just a part of the playbook. Give him time to grasp more of the playbook and get his "sea legs" and he'll get into the mix.

8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Henne is a rookie, what else would anyone expect?

alen1 likes this.
  9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    What PhinsRock said ^.