1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QB Stable

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Apr 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    on thinking about things

Very little measurable differences between the #2's

We have an excellent QB stable. let the understudies develop & compete
    Today's darling can quickly become tomorrows ugly girl friend in the NFL & especially with Dolphin fans.

Henne has done nothing to warrant adoration nor ordination.
    He is an unproven, inexperienced commodity with potential. The difference between the #2's is that Henne got the nod from the coach & begins his assault on the starting position ahead of Beck.

A fast start doesn't guarantee a race; it's the finish that counts. We have a field of three horses in this competition. A lot can happen from the opening of the gates to crossing the finish line. There are no sure bets, only competition.

Henne may be our next Dan Marino. He may also not be able to win the start from a resurgent & proven veteran & one of the top QB's in the NFL. I assure you: Chad Pennington will not go quietly into the night.
    It should be noted, what Pennington does on the field this year will determine the QB situation in Miami. Nothing Henne could come up with in preseason will make that determination.

At the other end of the spectrum, there is the much maligned John Beck. I see little difference between the two, however, I recognize that Beck is the dark horse in the stable. Today, he is the third string QB.

Coach Sprano's only comment concerning Beck was that his job & only concern @ this point is to compete with Henne.
    Many people have passed over these words, not giving them a second thought.
    But I do know what they mean. The TriFecta's expectation of Beck (today) is to compete with Henne.

I'm as anxious as the next true Dolfan to see the Franchise QB emerge from the stable, who ever he might be.

I see a process unfolding. No race has been won. I allow for the possibility of growth & development, injuries & disappointment. I look to competition & the actual playing of the game to determine ultimately which of the three will become the next Franchise QB without bias or prejudgement.
    And I understand things change, especially in the second year of a four year rebuilding project.

I honestly think Pennington could sep up in this race. You only have to look @ the last SuperBowl to undrestand age is not the defining element in the equation.
    Penny is one of the best in the NFL & when healthy, has a reasonable & consistent (40-60) long pass.
    He had his first healthy season in years after playing injured for the Jets for most of his career.
    Should also be noted he was drafted by Bill Parcells & has been a top QB in the NFL & Franchise QB for the Jets.
    If the Miami KillerWhales, the Orca-five play to expectation, Pennington will have an extra second or two to set his throw. Could make a lot of difference in his game.
    We shall see.

Patience & Cordiality

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
    late again and brandon27 like this.
  2. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Most of us want the best man to win. However, Henne is younger, so I'd rather he win, as much as I love Pennington. That said, Pennington was amazing last year and Henne looked confident and ready when he played in preseason. John Beck, not so much.

And what's the deal with the "Killer Whales/Orca Five"? Did you make that up? I suggest you pick one nickname and run with it. If it catches on, so be it.

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend Gardenhead:
    the Orca or KillerWhale is the #1 predator of the sea , having no natural enemies. it is also one the worlds' largest mammals & they are in the dolphin family. the Orca is an over-sized ferociously dominant dolphin
    hence, the Orca-5 or Miami KillerWhales

a KillerWhale is an Orca. six of one half dozen of the other
    I think either or both would be reasonable

got the idea from the infamous Redskin Hogs
    only difference is hogs eat corn & in turn are eaten

the KillerWhale or Orca eats flesh & blood & has no natural enemies
    they are at the top of the food chain in the ocean seas
    the MiamiKillerWhales, the Orca-5 eat defense alive!

GoFish!

I have no favorites @ QB. Just think Pennington has earned the right to compete for the big enchilada. All about competition in my book.
    competition is the elixir of success

4. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I am familiar with marine mammals, including dolphins and orcas. I like where u are coming from, my compadre.

My point was simply this: you gotta pick ONE nickname and stick with it. If it catches on, great. If not, it wasn't meant to be. Long, Smiley, Grove, Thomas, and Carey will show the league what they are made of, fancy moniker or not!

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    agreed

6. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I agree. Pick one.
    I like the Orca5.

7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I most certainly agree. It sure is nice to know that we may be set at QB for quite a while actually. Sure, Henne has a ways to go before he is goign to be our starter, but he's getting valuable experience learning from Pennington each and every week, and that definitely can't hurt.

While, yes, with Pennington's performance for us last season he "deserves" the right to start. However, part of me feels we should be having an open competition here at QB. If the FO really feels like Henne is every bit as good as Matt Ryan (was it Sparano that said that? or Henning?) Then why not give him a shot to earn the starting job. Im sure that if Pennington does indeed come out and have a horrible preseason, and Henne is flawless, I do have a feeling we will not think twice about going with Henne. However, that said, right now... It's Pennington's job to loose.

Oh, and btw... I kind of like the Orca 5. :up: Im not sure how much Long, Smiley, Grove, Thomas(?), and Carey would enjoy being called whales though :lol: Oh well!

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Orcas eat big tunas....:shifty:

Henne is the guy, barring injury, Beck will compete for the #3 slot.

We'd better believe that 3 second time clock will be running this offseason and if Beck hasn't learned how to make a decision and fire the ball to a recceiver then he will no longer be a Phin.

I like John Beck, but a backup Qb has to make some progress or they are just occupying a roster spot from a backup Qb who can beat it and progress.

9. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Make sure to call them the Orca 5 and not the Ocra 5.

There's this:

And then there's this:

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    then the Orca-5 it is:
    The Orca-5 eat defense alive!

I like all the QB's we carry on the roster & will continue to support all three as long as they remain in the stable:
    1) Henne is the obvious heir to be. however, he has to make his bones on the NFL playing field & beat out Pennington for the start & a lot can happen between then & now.
    2) Beck has been immeasurably damaged by the Epic of Cameron, quite possibly beyond repair. the team does not respond to him well as a leader. it's a shame but it's as if he has a dark cloud overhead that follows him around. he would need an outrageous training camp & take total advantage of any playing time he gets from the TriFecta in preseason to reposition himself as a legitimate contender.
    3) should remember both Henne & Beck are #2's & the starter is Pennington. I would be slow to sell him short after the year he gave us last season. He won't go quietly into that night.
    Warner is in his 40's & not only took the Cardinals (who should have won in my opinion) to the Super Bowl but has received a new contract. This is 2009, not 1949. Things change.

one thing forn sure, we need a Franchise QB to emerge before the SuperBowl becomes a reality

I say let them compete.

11. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Will Parcells resign Pennington once his contract is up this coming year?I believe that Henne will get plenty of game time and not only in pre-season since the front office HAS to see what Henne can do when it counts.They would never start Pennington the majority of the year then go into the off season not knowing if Henne can be the man and possibly watch Pennington walk in free agency.

So before we make a decision regarding Pennington we HAVE to know for better or worse what we have in Henne(an not just practice or pre-season games)

12. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Warner is currently 37.

13. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    to me henne and beck are not both #2's and henne clearly proved he was far more capable in driving this team down the field than beck.to me it was not only painfully obvious in pre-season last year but henne also looked much better than beck in actual game situations(watch the drives he had against arizona) with better leadership and commandment in the hudlle. beck still hasn't lost that "deer in the headlights" look when he is under center.

and i know some argument can be had for beck as far as being thrown to the wolves and being put into some messy situations but henne imo has left beck at the starting line wondering if he actually heard the fire of the gun to start the race. we have a clear #1 qb in penny,a qb that is poissed to become a #1 in henne and a career clipboard holder in beck who may not even be a #3 for long on this team. i was really high on beck when we drafted him but i don't see a solid #2 in him atleast on this team.