1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qb situation: Thinking outside the box

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mracer, Jan 25, 2012.

1. mracer

mracer New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I'm sure we're all tired of reading the Manning, Flynn, RG3 threads. I wonder if the Patsies would trade Ryan Mallet? I know this sounds crazy but Brady is not slowing down any time soon. Would they trade Mallet to us for a 3rd rounder? I thought he had a 1st round grade last yr but dropped in the draft due to "character" issues.

2. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    This couldn't happen for to many reasons to explain.

MAFishFan, GARDENHEAD and mullingan like this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thinking outside the box with QB is what got us in this mess. Bargain basement shopping. Over the hill free agents. Trades for one game wonders, etc.

Time to start being a copy cat and mimic how most recent superbowl winning teams have found their QBs: Find the best prospects in the draft and do what it takes to get them.

texasPHINSfan and cdz12250 like this.
  4. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    If they wanted Mallet they should have gotten him last year. I think they need to take a chance on someone with a flaw that really has not much to do with playing the position and only questions his longevity giggity, Brandon Weeden. If he was 23 coming in he would be a top 5 pick right up there with Luck & RG3. I know everyone wants an answer for longterm franchise quarterback so it's hard to want Weeden but I think he can give our offense a chance to be Marino like.

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't think he dropped primarily due to character issues on most team's boards. I know that was the popular notion here b/c our gurus liked him but I had him as a 2nd rounder at best without considering the character stuff. I thought he went about where he should have gone. In fact, before that draft, I posted that I would consider Mallett in the third round. I haven't scouted Osweiler, but here's a report by Bunting, who is a guy whose opinion I admire on him. He seems to Mallett and Osweiler in similar stead.

6. Brock Osweiler: Arizona State (6-8, 240)
    Osweiler would have been much better served to stay for his senior year and develop his overall feel for the game. Because of as now he struggles to decipher defenses and honestly didn't display a great feel for his own offense either. The guy has some talent and can sling the football. However, much like Ryan Mallett last season, he's going to need to play in an offense where he can throw the football down the field and isn't going to be forced to make many quick throws underneath, where he struggles with timing, footwork and ball placement. If everything falls into place for Osweiler, meaning he develops as a quarterback mentally, has time to work at his trade and falls into a perfect fit for him physically (Steelers, Patriots, Raiders) he does have the talent to eventually fight for a starting job in the NFL. However, he rates much closer to a developmental later round pick and reminds me some of Cardinals QB John Skelton.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ranking-the-Drafts-Top-10-Quarterback-Prospects.html

I personally don't see Mallett as solution I would trade much for. I'd rather sign a guy like Brady Quinn.

djphinfan and Steve-Mo like this.
  6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    The Patriots would only accept our collective soul for Mallet. Because theyre the patriots. I'm convinced that their GM is the one they call Beelzebub.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I like both Weedon and Tannehill. I have been saying for a while now that Tannehill will be a top 15 pick and that Weedon will be a sure first rounder by draft time. I heard (read actually) Brandt say that he'll be a top 10 pick. And I'm hearing that Weedon is separating himself from the bunch at the Senior Bowl. I expect that Mayock, who said he hadn't watched film on him from this year yet, will move him to at least the fourth QB after he watches film. I think they will both be considerations at 8/9 if the Manning thing doesn't work out (I think they should be considered regardless of that situation) or if the don't pursue Flynn.

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Wouldn't that be crazy if Quinn turned out to be great in Miami

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Yeah, I know. LOL I didn't prefer Quinn in that draft. I saw him as a good, but not great prospect, a borderline 1st/2nd round talent with only a small chance to be a franchise guy. I didn't think his odds were any better than Beck's. But part of that was b/c I saw Beck as having more maturity. While we all get older, there's no guarantee that we mature so Quinn may not have, but at what is probably a low salary and no draft pick cost (I believe he's a FA or will be), he's not a bad gamble at this point.

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    How about trading like a 4th for Brian Hoyer for out of the box thinking?

Or moving up and selecting Blackmon and sticking with Moore at Qb.

11. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Or re-sign Pat White.

Now that is thinking outside the box :pointlol:

12. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    More like drinking outside the box.

SCall13 likes this.
  13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Realistic speaking though, other than taking Weedon or Tannehill, these other "out of the box" suggestions are all long shots and will most likely result in Miami failing to get their franchise QB and failing to return to perennial contender status.

14. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    If we were going to give up a 3rd rounder for Mallet knowing, and having seen nothing more than what we did before last year's draft, wouldn't we have just spent a 3rd rounder to draft him? As for Quinn, there's a reason he free fell in the 07 draft. Even Cam Cameron was smart enough to not touch him. When you can't beat out guys like Derek Anderson, Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow for a starting QB position there's no future for you as a starter in the NFL.

15. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think its clear....we are not settling for Moore. Ross basically got so frustrated with the QB questions.....he said...Im not stupid...I want a franchise QB. I believe Moore will be looked at as a possible starter next season if he beats out whomever we draft....or a back up to Flynn/Manning....

AdamC13 likes this.
  16. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Here are my problems with that. First of all, that would not be outside of the box for us, considering how we traded for back-ups for a while. Second of all, it NEVER worked out for us. Third of all, if Mallet is good enough to be a franchise QB, then we would have to give up a lot for him, and that is only IF the Patriots are looking for offers. And at that point, you might as well call up the Colts or Saints, IMO.

17. Pro-X

Pro-X End Game Club Member

Dec 5, 2007
    I would move up for Blackmon, then tgo for Flynn, and if Tannenhill is there in the 2nd take him too, have them work some magic. Also keep Moore in the picture, he earned a chance imo...

MAFishFan likes this.
  18. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Both Ross and Ireland have shown little confidence in Moore. He only starts out of default.

It will be interesting to see if Moore is able to maintain a good/professional attitude when he gets gets demoted to second string...probably sooner than later.

19. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    What leads you think if Miami trades up they would even have a 2nd round pick in this years draft? Would probably take this year and next years 1st and 2nd round picks. If they did manage to hold on to the 2nd round pick to spend on a QB...don't think so.

As much as I like Blackmon Miami has too many holes to fill to give away that many quality picks. Our team does not have the depth or talent to make a package deal like Atlanta did last year to Jones.

20. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I keep telling the people who want to move up for Blackmon that it would be the most foolish move we could make. This draft is deeper at WR than any other position. You've got Justin Blackmon, Kendall Wright, Alshon Jeffery, Michael Floyd, and Mohamed Sanu who will all go in the first round. Then you have guys like Rueben Randle, Ryan Broyles, Dwight Jones, Marvin McNutt, Tommy Streeter, Joe Adams, Nick Toon, Chris Owusu and Marquis Maze in the later rounds.

21. phins3454

phins3454 New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Most of the great teams who drafted their QB's did not sell the farm to get their QB, not like Miami would anyways in order to get RG3 or Andrew Luck. Some teams do that and its a failure ala Jay Cutler and the Broncos, Ricky Williams and the Saints, booth were only with that team for a short time.

Some teams just get lucky, Patriots, Packers (Rodgers fell in their lap)

Other teams have to suck really bad in order to get a franchise QB ( Colts, Chargers, Giants)

Why cant we sign Manning AND draft a QB? no one is talkin about that, why cant we do both? Draft Tannehill in round two, let him learn from the best. Manning also gives some excitment to Miami and makes us instant contenders.

Or if we dont like this years QB class, wait til next years draft and maybe a talented QB will fall into our laps in the first round (some years QB's fall) or maybe we like some one better in the later rounds

22. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    The Patriots would want a premium price for Mallet because they know Miami is trying to get a starter/franchise quarterback and frankly I don't think he is worth the risk. And if we are going to trade all of those picks to go up and get Blackmon why not go after the Big Dog, and put together some kind of package to trade up high enough to get RGIII.

23. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Tannehill is not going in round 2. I know that a bunch of fan sites and these early mocks don't have him in the first, but I have no doubt the NFL has him there. Gil Brandt actually just the other day was saying that Tannehill would go in the top 10, based on both talent and what he's hearing from NFL GMs.

24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

I haven't seen him enough to have a real strong opinion, but I know a team with a top ten pick if that is his true value.

25. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    What I find refreshing about this thread so far is no one has even mentioned bringing back Henne. Perhaps those individuals are finally ready to admit that the Dolphins no longer have any interest in resigning Henne.

As far as who I would like to see here next year. Manning as the starter, Moore as the backup and Tannehill, the teams second round pick, as the teams 3rd string QB next year and the starter once Manning retires after the 2015 season.

26. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    [​IMG]

RevRick and MikeHoncho like this.
  27. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Henne is in the same group with all of the others in that he's not likely to be a franchise guy. IMO it would be best for him and for this team for him to move on, but in terms of ability, he's on par with Moore and any of the other long shot guys mentioned here.

28. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    When I saw thinking outside the box, I figured we were talking about having scientists assemble the first break dancing, country and western singing, Churchgoing robot NFL quarterback. That's thinking outside the box. Thinking the Patriots would trade Miami a QB is called lunacy.

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I agree completely-- It does sound crazy. lol

I recommend going back in the box.... till further notice.

:tongue2:

Larryfinfan likes this.
  30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I seriously doubt Tannehill drops out of the top 15 when he possesses top 3 pick talent with the intangibles like heart, brains, passion, and determination to nearly match it.

djphinfan and rafael like this.
  31. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    While I agree with your assertion that Tanny doesn't drop out of the Top 15, he surely does not possess top 3 pick talent. If Matt Barkley, Landry Jones and Tyler Wilson (maybe) come out in this draft we're talking about the prospect of grabbing Tanny at the top of the second round. The premium put on the QB position and the lack of talent at the position in this draft outside of Luck and RG3 is the only reason he will sniff the top half of the first round. He only had 20 college starts at Quarterback. We're talking about a guy who, until two years ago, was a wide receiver who had never played the position. He has a big arm and his mobility is a huge plus but it will take a while for him to really grasp the intricacies of the pro game as a QB. I personally don't see him being able to step in and be a rookie starter because of that reason. When he faced quality compeition (or as quality as the Big 12 can offer) he threw three picks against Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. He also suffered some huge second half collapses. As much as you may want to blame Mike Sherman for that it was clear at several times that Tannehill was not comfortable. Especially in the Arkansas and Oklahoma State games where he was practically a sitting duck for the second half.

Again, I agree with you that he will go in the Top 15, but only because he's a QB in a passer driven and passer starved league. And I whole-heartedly disagree with you that he has top 3 talent. To claim that is a terrible insult to guys like Luck, Griffin, Richardson, Blackmon and Kalil.

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I would take Tannehill over Landry jones in any years draft..

rafael likes this.
  33. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ok, so Ross and Ireland have mandated that they will resolve the QB situation and find a franchise guy. So far, the bulk of the traffic has been based on either Manning, RG3 or FLynn...All of those guys have their good ways and not so good ways about how they fit that bill. I can understand the thought process behind those three guys....

Where do you get the idea that Mallet is anything special ?? Draft reports were that he had character issues which can be construed in many different ways. He hasn't shown any propensity to be anything special at QB with the Pasties. There just doesn't seem to be any draw for this kid at all. I personally didn't like him even where he went in the draft and to date, he's shown nothing to disprove that. Now, he is on the pasties and Brady is playing as well or better than he has so that has to be taken into perspective...but what is the draw for him ?? I don't see it...I mean, Matt Leinart and TJ Yates showed more than this guy has ??

Tell us what you see in him, cause I just can't see it yet...

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't care a lick whether Tannehill starts as a rookie. In fact, I would prefer that any QB we draft gets to sit a year. My concern is about who will be the best QB long term. So when I scout a QB, I'm looking at what he will become. People are putting him in the top 10 b/c he has shown that much skill. He's raw, but he clearly shows instincts in the pocket and anticipation. In your list I would put him above Tyler Wilson. In fact, I'm more sure about Tannehill being at least a good pro than I am about RG3. Tannehill in just a year and a half already shows better pocket awareness and has shown an ability to read defenses. Either of those could prevent RG3's game from translating to the pros. As I said a month ago, I might take Tannehill over RG3 just b/c I see those two skills as more important than RG3's better downfield accuracy and better speed.

35. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    And it's people who post bovine scatology such as this that makes me hope that at least once, Henne comes back to Miami and drops a fifty-burger on the team. Absolutely unnecessary bloviation.

Hellion, Trowa and djphinfan like this.