1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QB ignored in 2011 draft. Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Apr 30, 2011.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    So the 2011 draft is over and in the books for the Miami Dolphins. Most of you already had the fortune or misfortune of reading my drunken rants last evening, so I won't touch anymore upon my thoughts of the Daniel Thomas trade up.

Miami was one of the teams pegged by most as needing QB help coming into this draft. No QB was taken.

Some of you might think we don't need a QB as we already have Chad Henne, but I think fans who try to be objective will concede that Henne is a question mark after his 2010 campaign and none of us really know if he can be the guy or not. He certainly has a lot to prove.

So this front office is either saying they are confident in Chad Henne or they are confident they can add competition for Henne via free agency.

My stance on Henne is the same. I don't pretend to know whether or not he can be a successful QB in the NFL. I'm glad he will get another chance.

At the end of the day, I'm happy the Dolphins didn't select a QB. The reason being this: I don't have a whole lot of faith in this coaching staff and I'm really not sure what to make of Ireland. He's made some good and bad picks. If Sparano can't get it done this year, and if the tools Ireland has given Sparano appear to be part of the problem, and if Chad Henne struggles again, I'll be happy that this regime did not select a QB. The job will be better left to their successors.

gafinfan and pumpdogs like this.
  2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Bad, Mallett should have been taken, and I'm a Henne guy.

My bet is they have a deal with a Vet, Dilfer said Hasselbeck said he won't be back in Seattle, that could be our guy.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Good for next year...

4. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Someone will be brought in to compete with Henne for sure.

I do think if Henne wins the job he will have a nice bounce back year.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Good, I think, this makes room for a Vet to be signed or traded for, if we drafted someone the regime married them.

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    alex smith, jamarcus russel, matt leinart, vince young, david carr, carson palmer, matt hasselbeck
    on the cheap any would be worth a shot @ taking to make the miami stable more competitive
    somewhere out there is another QB awaiting a second chance

7. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Here is the problem Henne will have, he is now in the Ted Ginn realm for most the fans, he can do nothing right. As soon as he throws a pick, the vultures will be out. He will not get a fair chance with the fans. Now maybe he can take the heat and do better than Ginn did, but it won't be easy.

First Henne needs to win over his team, which will be tough, than the fans, which will be tougher.

They will bring a vet in now.

Moves, SCall13 and adamprez2003 like this.
  8. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I hope the first 5 on this list were a joke! :confused1:

PSG, DolfanJake, SCall13 and 2 others like this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Henen doesn't matter, I'd say Sparano is the one who has to take the heat if Henne plays poorly or if we start 2011 slowly.

10. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Just Win Baby!!! Winning cures everything and if he can do that all will be forgiven. If he can't, he won't be the last to not live up to the legend.

11. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Only player worth taking imo would have been Kaepernick and Miami would have needed to spend the 15th pick to get him. So passing on QB this year is good.

Looks like Vince Young may be coming to town.

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend NJ:

I think not & there are others...
    alex smith, jamarcus russel, matt leinart, vince young, david carr, carson palmer, matt hasselbeck are potentially just a few

the formula: highly ranked prospects + bad NFL outing + lesser investment (cheap) = second NFL chance in a competitive QB stable.

I was one of the first & most ardent Henne detractors last year
    having said that
    with an offensive line & real running game the Henne just might turn things around. you never know.
    as could many other highly touted NFL QB's that got off to a difficult start & are on the bubble

there may very well be another Vick in the making avialble for a song & a dance.

if all else fails, we resolve it in next years draft: Andrew Luck

padre31 likes this.
  13. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

The biggest indication of the QB talent in this draft IMO is what the Bills and Cardinals did. Especially the Cards. Whisenhunt knows what a HOF QB looks like. I got goosebumps watching Kurt Warner play. The man is probably number 1 on my list of favorite QB's to watch play. Too young to have watched Dan Marino as his last great season was when I was 2. If Ken Whisenhunt, job on the line, passed up on every other QB, you have to think they weren't worth it.

GMJohnson and SCall13 like this.
  14. Hiruma78

Hiruma78 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I have mixed feelings....

on one side,CK's report was very convincing about Mallet's ability to be a very good QB and I was hoping we can land him in some way...
    on the other side, Sparano&Ireland chose clearly guys who can contribute imediately, so no room for project or player to let grow slowly ... if they both are really gone next year, I think it is better that the next regime chooses his own QB and in the meantime our OL and receiving corp are better and RBs are younger....

we have to hope that Mallet wont develop in something special...

sorry for my English

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  15. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Good because outside Gabbert and Ponder there was no one I really wanted.

16. EightyTwenty

EightyTwenty Don't laugh at the mule

Nov 25, 2007
    Florida
    Tyler Thigpen boys. Opening day starter.

unluckyluciano and Pandarilla like this.
  17. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I really wish we could have selected Yates. I think he's going to translate well.

Starry31 likes this.
  18. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    good. Next year theres Matt Barkly, Andrew Luck, and and possibly Landry Jones. All are better QBs IMO than this years draft.

Personally i think Henne improves this year and everybody wins, but even if im wrong, next years class is just better.

19. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    They have to. Pennington is gone and Thigpen, did he re-sign?

20. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Please no! I`d rather have Henne. And lord knows how much it pains me to utter those words.

21. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    There's a kid from Oklahoma who threw for 4700 yds and 38 TD last season...

22. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    pretty sure we'll bring in a vet .... but not so sure we'll bring back Thigpen .... there is no value there

23. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I'd be for Hasselbeck......just get someone to watch him at all times so he doesn't break something.

24. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Definitely means a veteran is coming in. I would have liked a pick there but at the same time this class reminds me of the year Cutler got drafted. Load of QB's went but no franchise guys and Cutler was the only guy to really do anything.

25. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    A 4th or 6th round QB does not make the impact that Edmund Gates or Charles Clay does. Good thing to skip on QB.

26. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Bad because you rarely get a chance at a talent like Mallet—TWICE—and now our strongest division rivals have him, and they'll turn either him or Brady into multiple high picks next offseason or shortly thereafter.

Good because at least that meathead Sparano can't ruin yet another young QB.

That's the silver lining we're left with: at least our moron of a Head Coach can't ruin the best pure passer in this draft.

gafinfan likes this.
  27. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Ha! Amazing how many posters on any message board will only read the thread title and reply to that and that alone. Which is fine. Definitely interested to hear what fans think about us forgoing the QB this year.

But I wonder if one person saw or agreed with my opinion that the reason it's good we didn't take a QB is because I don't want this regime to have anything to do with picking / developing our QB of the future, if we end up needing one. I don't have a lot of faith in them, especially the coaching staff.

If they can get a free agent and we can with with him or Henne, I'm thrilled with that too.

gafinfan likes this.
  28. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Is there a very mobile, durable, accurate passer available next year is the question. They wanted Locker. You have to believe they'd look into a guy that's more accurate next year and can really take advantage of a versatile offense.

29. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Overrating Mallett before he even plays I see.

GMJohnson and CaribPhin like this.
  30. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    Im almost 90% sure we will pick up a Qb via free agency,That will clear alot of drama..

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    he'll most likely be the backup (and keep Henne on his toes), but we still need one.

32. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    If all fails, we can still hope to land Luck next year so w/e.

33. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Underrating Mallett before he even plays I see.

34. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

You are NOT alone! I don't want this offensive staff coaching my sandlot team let alone an NFL type QB. See results with Henne as my reference point!

As for trading for a Vet ..... at this point I don't really care as long as NO DAMN 2012 DRAFT PICKS ARE USED TO DO SO!

MUFC FIN, MonstBlitz and ToddsPhins like this.
  35. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I don't have a huge problem with not selecting a QB this year since I don't think this FO will be around next year.

36. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i didnt really want a QB this year. None of the QBs in the draft wouldve been better than Henne this year and I didnt really feel like it was time to draft for the future. From the pocket passers, only Mallett had a higher upside then Henne and from the mobile QBs only Newton and Locker had more upside. The rest had the same upside or less and wouldve been a waste of time IMO. Maybe Stanzi in the later rounds but thats about it. Better to see how Henne responds to a better cast and another year under his belt before we draft another franchise QB. He went through his sophmore slump horribly but I think its one year too early to close the book on him. He just might surprise us

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Shh..:shifty:

I think we go with a Vet, I think they have planned on going with one all along and that is why Dorrell was made the Qb coach, they knew whomever they signed would not need all that much coaching.

38. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Thigpen sucks and always will suck.

MUFC FIN, CaribPhin and NaboCane like this.
  39. EightyTwenty

EightyTwenty Don't laugh at the mule

Nov 25, 2007
    Florida
    I don't disagree with you, but so does Henne. At least Thigpen shows some energy on the field and in the huddle...Henne looks like he just crawled out of bed most of the time, and has zero fire. I'd almost rather just have Chad Pennington out there handing the ball off every play with whichever arm of his isn't currently in a cast, than suffer through another year of Chad Henne lumbering around in a daze...

Btw, I was just kidding about Thigpen being the opening day starter.

40. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    The way the draft fell we just were not going to take one in the first and without a second round pick I could see why we did not go for a Qb in this draft. I don't think a 5th round pick was going to even really compete with Henne for the job and we can pick up a backup via free agency pretty easily so not getting one in this draft is forgivable.

What isn't to me is that we really haven't made any smart moves to go after Qb talent, we basically drafted Henne in the 2nd and just hoped he worked out in the long run. Great teams and front offices don't do that. This coaching staff and regime is basically banking on filling some holes and being a 9-10 win team and keeping their jobs, they aren't building to compete for the Superbowl, as a fan I don't want a bunch of guys protecting their jobs and hoping for 10 wins if they get lucky and kick a lot of field goals.