1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Question

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Ray Finkle, Oct 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Hopefully someone can help me out as I'm pretty dumb when it comes to video game systems. Anyway my girlfriend told me she's going to get me a PS3 for my birthday so she went to Best Buy and the salesman there was telling her that I needed a Blue Ray dvd player in order to use the system. Now I personally think the salesman is BSing her, trying to get her to buy something extra asI heard that a PS3 can play blueray discs by itself. My question is do I need to buy something extra to be able to play Blue Ray DVDs or does the PS3 play them automatically?

Thanks I appreciate any help I can get as all my friends have either Wii or Xbox and told me they have no clue.

2. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I would go to another store or talk to that guys manager. He is trying to get over on her big time. The PS3 is a blu-ray player.

Ray Finkle and Ducken like this.
  3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    No man! Most of PS3's value is it's BluRay player and free online gaming. Not only that, unlike most other BluRay players, the PS3 can regularly update the firmware, fully taking advantage of the latest BluRay codecs - meaning updated software to take advantage of better programing resulting in better picture and sound. The cheaper BluRay players do not have this ability. Of course, you need the internet hooked up to the PS3 to do this.

All you need to buy separate is an HDMI cable. I do not recommend using the component cables provided. You may as well take full advantage of the wicked picture and sound that HDMI cables provide.

4. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Everything Tone E said. The Ps3 isn't just a Blu Ray player -- it's one of the best in the industry.

Ray Finkle likes this.
  5. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Yeah he is trying to get over on her.

The PS3 is a Blu-Ray player and one of the best out there.

Ray Finkle likes this.
  6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it. I figured it was BS it just didn't sound right to me. Thanks again.

7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    There is no such thing as a "blue ray dvd." :(

Ray Finkle likes this.
  8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Haha I know. I realized I messed up typing Blu Ray, like I always do, but I was too lazy to edit it all.

9. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I'd go back and have your girl point him out just so I could tap him on the shoulder and punch him in the face for trying to rip her off.

Ray Finkle likes this.
  10. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    you sure the girlfriend didnt just misunderstand him mentioning that it is a blu ray player and therefore you WONT need to buy one?

11. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    yeah man people are ***** but i cant imagine trying to make additional $200 sale on someone whose already willing to spend $300.

Wouldn't surprise me of course, does Best Buy work of commission? If thats true then hes totaly BSing.

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I guess anything is possible but she knew that PS3s also work as Blu-Ray players already that's why she was originially confused.