1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro Bowl Before Super Bowl Starting in 2010

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by sking29, Dec 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I didn't see this posted anywhere so if it is Mods please delete.

As for the move its self it seems like it may keep the game more interesting but not much. The reason I say this is that since the Pro Bowl will be played between the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl, the players that will play in the Super Bowl won't play in the Pro Bowl. That means likely a lot of fan favorites will be left out which will be harmful. Plus if players don't won't to play in the game I don't see why this would make them more excited.

However there is one upside and that is that the game will be played in the same town as the Super Bowl. Next year both the Super Bowl and the Pro Bowl will be in Miami so that means the Pro Bowl can be marketed as part of the Super Bowl experience, which will help sell tickets. Plus not being in Hawaii and at the Super Bowl site will have more fans around to attend the game. So in the area of location and timing with the Super Bowl as a marketing ploy it may be successful.

In the end I don't see it helping the Pro Bowl much but will probably extend its life a few more years. So what does everyone else think?

Link:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3800446

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Having it before the superbowl is idiotic. It means that the teams that make the superbowl may very well not allow their players to participate. I know the Pro Bowl isn't a game that has a lot of injury, but before the biggest game of the year are you going to let your star players participate?

3. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Actually those players won't play.

Also I knew someone would be me to it (Finsane). :cry:

4. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    The NFL is smart by moving the pro bowl to Dolphin stadium, but a week before the superbowl? Players who deserve to go but can't play because their team in the big game. Could imagine allowing a key player going and getting injured ? The NFL needs to get a hint the reason why people don't watch the game is because it has no meaning.
    I once suggested do it like the all star game winners get home field advantage in world series, they could do the same for the superbowl where the winners can elect to receive first or defer.