1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

President says they may go back to Throwback look full time.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DolPhinPhan7, Jun 8, 2017.

1. DolPhinPhan7

DolPhinPhan7 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    http://dailysnark.com/miami-dolphins-team-president-leaves-door-open-possible-return-classic-logo/

I don't mind the no helmet Dolphin logo. It's modern. The sun looks better and the it looks like a real Dolphin. The 90's/00's Dolphins logo already looks dated. I actually cringe when I see people rocking it at games. I have some memorabilia around the house and in my car with that logo (Because it's been their logo for most of my adult life) but I like the new one better.

The classic logo (whether the Dolphin is covering the sun or only part of the Sun) is really dated. But the look has retro appeal now. I went to a game in Buffalo in December and rocked an early 90's Irving Fryer authentic jersey and an LA Logo jacket to the game. I prefer that darker Aqua. I wouldn't have done that in past years, but the success of the throwback unis these past two seasons have made the old look more mainstream.

I really hope they don't ditch the current logo. But I do think the darker looking jersey's they use during their throwback games is much better.

So many teams go back to retro logo after changing. Detroit Pistons, New York Jets, New York Islanders, Toronto Maple Leafs, Edmonton Oilers, Philly 76ers, Houston Astros, Toronto Blue Jays etc etc etc.

It looks like our Dolphins will be doing the same.

jdallen1222 and resnor like this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I did the throwbacks like cray, as long as they where the black cleats, but it has to be those specific unis, none of the crap we had prior to the change a few years back..

aren't we undefeated in the throwbacks?

3. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Jesus, my man cave is filled with new logo stuff

Rickysabeast, KeyFin and Paul 13 like this.
  4. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    We lost to the Giants on Monday Night Football in their first appearance

5. btfu149

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Honestly, I love the new logo and jerseys, I hope we keep them. I also love the throwbacks, but I think switching to them full-time would make it less special when we wear them. I would support wearing the old jerseys 4 times a year and getting a white old school one for 2 of those.

ChrisKo likes this.
  6. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Never once did Garfinkel EVER say anything close to what the title of this post says he did. This whole thing has snowballed due to reporters reading between lines and who the hell knows what else.

That being said, I like the throwbacks...but only as that...throwbacks.

7. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    I personally like the new uniforms and colors. I hope they don't make any major changes. I would like to see a black or blue alternative jersey instead of orange.

danmarino, rafael and btfu149 like this.
  8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    When I saw the title to this thread, I was thinking it was yet another Trump piece on how he's messing things up. What a relief that it wasn't.

9. btfu149

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would think a navy alternate jersey would be awesome

djphinfan likes this.
  10. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    My biggest problems with the new uni's is #1, the tail going up and #2 colors are too light.

Imo, it looks weak and soft, which is why JJ changed things, he understands what the psychological effect of looking soft and weak can have.

cbrad likes this.
  11. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Never really cared for the cartoon logo that came in with Jimmy Johnson. I like the new uni's pretty well but they are a distant 2nd to the throwbacks for me. The throwbacks look like football uniforms.

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    When Dolphins are about to attack the tail goes up. Knowledgable people would never characterize that as weak.

13. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    The tail goes up so it can go down.

So if you're designing a logo you can put the tail in either position and represent aggressiveness. Either it's getting ready for a downstroke or you're depicting it at the end of the downstroke when the force on the water or prey is the greatest.

Personally I'm OK with the logo, but I do think it could be better. And I'd personally change tail position too because most humans don't interpret that upward arching position of the dolphin as aggressive (even if a dolphin were to).

Finster likes this.
  14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm not a big fan of dumbing things down for people. I wouldn't change the tail position to accommodate low information people.

15. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Here's an interesting wrinkle to dolphin tail position I wasn't aware of:
    http://jeb.biologists.org/content/jexbio/119/1/265.full.pdf

"Dolphins accelerate during the downstroke and decelerate during the upstroke: the net hydrodynamic force in the animal is always positive during the downstroke and negative during the upstroke"

So actually the position we're seeing the dolphin in is when it's decelerating the most! (I thought it was like with fish where they can accelerate on both strokes..)

Anyway which tail position you prefer comes down to whether you want to depict say a boxer when he's getting ready to punch or when he's punching. I think I'd prefer when he's punching but both work.

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Personally, 'about to attack' seems the most logical way to depict a logo, but I wouldn't have had a problem if they'd gone with the tail down. I saw both depictions and felt the tail up looked better, but I wouldn't have complained about it either way. I do find the argument that tail up looks weak as very uninformed and ignorant.

17. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Your going on an assumption that isn't true though, the upward position isn't indicative of attack, and it breaks with tradition, and to humans, who are the only ones looking at it, lol, it doesn't look aggressive.

BTW, who cares whats real, lol, we aren't representing actual dolphins, it's played on terra firma, a professional football teams logo/uni aught to look aggressive imo.

18. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    My problem with the tail down position is that it looks like a tame dolphin performing a jump for a crowd. That gets reinforcedby wearing the helmet.

So I think the new logo looks less cutesy and more natural.

However since Dolphins get portayed as cutesy so often in our culture they lack the implication of aggression other animal mascots get.

rafael likes this.
  19. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    YES! Get rid of the crap blue whale logo. God I hate that thing.
    Back to our true Iconic logo. Can't happen soon enough.

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    go back to the deep rich aqua of the 72 and 73 season, when we were the best, and the whites from that era..like the thanksgiving at Dallas scheme, and we have a winner everyone would love.

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Absolutely, our old logo was crap. If it wasn't for nostalgia the vast majority of people would never want that cartoony POS.

Fin D and djphinfan like this.
  22. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    Would be super pumped if we went back

23. Rickysabeast

Rickysabeast Royale With Cheese

Jul 26, 2016
    Yeah I'm with you! Quit vacillating on the unis. Can't be half pregnant. Pick one and stick with it. Love the throwback game look but let's just make a decision and stick with it. If it's the throwbacks make it the throwbacks all the times. If its the new stuff make it the new stuff all the time. I mean let's be honest here. No one is a fan because of any iteration of our logo and our colors. We have grown fond of them over time but every person on here wishes we were something like the Miami Makos or Hammerheads or something with the uniforms from Any Given Sunday. Don't jump me. I agree that I'll now quickly come to blows with people that dis the aqua and orange and our Dolphin but we're all Phin fans here let's just be honest.

24. Rickysabeast

Rickysabeast Royale With Cheese

Jul 26, 2016
    Wow. An actual conversation about artistic style to make Flipper look mean. I mean I'm a Dolphins fan but c'mon.

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Here's the ferocious tale down look....

[​IMG]

look how poised he is to attack....sigh

26. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    First off, that just looks much better, do you think it would look like hunting if his tail was up? lol, and secondly, did you know that is also a way of hunting for Dolphins?

When they jump up like that they can see where the seabirds are, and where the seabirds are, there are schools of fish, and dolphins love sushi, lol.

27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The dolphin is frolicking in the picture. Frolicking. He isn't hunting. He isn't attacking. He's frolicking. This is the dolphin version of skipping.

I hate the old logos. Both of them are terrible. The original on top of being incredibly stupid looking is objectively, crafted terribly. It is chunky and sloppy from a craftmanship standpoint. The colors were good though.

The cartoony one from the JJ era is crafted well, but the helmet and football make it look incredibly silly. The colors were godawful. Safety cone orange and 1990's Ford Explorer Hunter Green were immensely bad choices.

There's nothing intimidating or tough about either one so arguing the new one isn't tough or intimidating in the hopes of reverting back to the old ones is pointless.

I don't even love the new logo (but the new colors which are a pubic hair from the actual original aqua are excellent), ftr.

28. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah I think it's just tough to make a dolphin look aggressive to the human eye, tail down or up.

I do agree every instantiation of the Dolphins logo has issues. Hard to get that right, but they at least got the team NAME right (a major reason I'm a fan!)

29. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The President ... gonna make the Dolphins great again?

It's a dolphin. It's never going to look mean unless you draw a few of them when they are raping a female dolphin (true story). Even then, they all got smiles on their faces.