1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preseason White v Thigpen, Pennington won't play.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Aug 7, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...-dolphins-notes-0807-20100806,0,6572745.story

Cool, my biggest complaint about writing off Pat White has been he just has not be given the snaps to show what he can do now in a head to head competition with Tyler Thigpen, in the preseason, White will have the opportunity to sink, or swim, as Sparano knows what Pennington is and what he can do, there is little need to play him (unless a trade was in the works).

Same units, same players, same plays, same opposing defenses. White will have the same opportunity as Thigpen

PhinsRock likes this.
  2. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I am looking forward to this preseason.

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    makes sense. we already know what Pennington brings to the party...

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    So am I, White and Thiggy will have their shots on equal footing, no excuses for either Qb, and White can prove he is a Qb or he may not be in Miami in mid September.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    you just never know until you've played the game

MikeHoncho and padre31 like this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, for all anyone knows White could scramble for several long Td's, or pass with more efficiency, Thiggy could fall into one of his cold streaks.

Ya just never know.

7. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

This makes a LOT of sense. We know what Penny can do, Henne just needs his few snaps to fine tune, the real competition will tell us what White has done to improve and confirm (IMHO) Thiggy is a far superior QB to White.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We shall see, what I thought might happen is they simply froze out Pat White, I'm glad he has his shot and I am anxious to see what he can do with the knowledge he is off of 2nd rd pick scholarship and what he did at WVa doesn't mean a thing in the NFL.

I like Confidence in players, cannot stand overly high opinions of themselves when they haven't done a single thing to merit it.

9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    yep another shoulder surgery and another reduction in arm strength :up:

10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I dont use this word lightly, but Pat will NEVER be a conventional QB in this league, unless he crossed the picket line in a strike season. His ceiling is as a Brad Smith, KR/WR who comes in a few plays and runs some option/gadget type plays. IMO, the time needed to turn him into that would be better spent on developing Thiggy and Henne. White is a waste of QB reps as far as I'm concerned.

jetssuck likes this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    In a week, if all goes according to plan, that view will be true, or White will be vindicated.

That is why I love the NFL, sooner or later, it is a show me league.

I happen to think Pat White will do fine as a Qb, I can't speak to ceilings as he has less than what..20 passing attempts? Which is why I am psyched that both will have the same shot in the preseason.

12. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Good decision by the staff. We know what Pennington is, and can do. Lets see who is worth keeping on this team as a backup QB, White, or Thigpen. Should be an interesting preseason.

13. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Its interesting that Thigpen hasnt been getting much coverage. I seem to be reading about his picks in camp every time a recap of a practice session is printed. He's going into his fourth year and it seems like he has the same interception problems he had as a rookie. Has he improved at all in three years? The guy obviously has some skills but he's gotta improve on his turnovers at some point soon

Stringer Bell likes this.
  14. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it will all come out in the wash...
    you girls are trying to hang clothes on the line
    before you do the laundry
    as far as I can see
    things are proceeding correctly. it all looks good to me.
    we'll soon have everything ironed out
    by the 1st game we'll be dressed for success

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh no, Thiggy is a franchise qb...

It is my view that Qb Coach Lee expects each Qb on the roster to play in a certain manner, ie from under center, with a consistent arm angle that Lee and Sparano approves of using.

That is (imho) why Thiggy and to a lesser extent White, struggle during Training Camp, I can understand why Sparano wants things that way, but those are two mobile Qb's who for them, it may not be the best way for them to play.

16. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    dont get me wrong, i'm not saying get rid of him. I'm just waiting for the light to go on in his head regarding the picks. thats really what i want to see out of him this preseason. protect the ball.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What I want to see from Thiggy is some of that Romo-esque play extending ability that he flashes on occasion, if he can do that, and make proper decisions I'll be happy.

with White, I want to see him throw out patterns and flash improved speed and quickness on the edge of the defense I really want to see some of his College tape translate to the NFL, his problem in my view, is what he did at WVa just has not shown up as of yet in the NFL...at nearly any level.

Film doesn't lie, he should be able to do some of those things, the reasons why he hasn't I suspect have to do with White's need for Sparano to believe in Pat 100%...but this is the NFL...know what I'm saying?

18. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Fixed

19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    got to play the game
    the game is played on the field
    not the internet
    we'll only know what we have
    when the rubber meets the road
    in less than a week, we'll get a glimpse
    trust me things are always different
    after you review game tape

20. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    thigpen should contiue to get yardage and move the ball. i dont think thats ever going to be a problem for him. His main problem is his AJ Feeley penchant for throwing the pick. Would really like to see his accuracy improve and become more consistent. With White, I would really like to see him just relax and look comfortable throwing.