1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible info on initial contract offer to J. Long

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sam, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Sam

Sam Member

Nov 30, 2007
    "...the Dolphins have Jake Long as the highest-rated prospect in the draft, their grade on the All-American offensive tackle is only slightly higher than that of pass rushers Vernon Gholston and Chris Long. The Dolphins are so torn as to whom to select, they're essentially auctioning off the pick -- for the lowest contract. Insiders tell me the initial offer sent to Jake Long's representatives was $10-15 million less than what the first and second picks of last year's draft (Oakland quarterback JaMarcus Russell and Detroit wide receiver Calvin Johnson) stand to earn with their rookie deals."

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10082

alen1 likes this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I am not sure what to make of this. Is it a good thing that they are doing this or is it bad because they are trying to take the cheaper one?

MIKE likes this.
  3. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    No wonder he didn't want to play in Miami. :lol:

alen1 likes this.
  4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

5. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

IMO Parcells is doing the only thing that makes sense, we are stuck with the #1 pick in a year when there is no clear player that stands out as worthy of the #1 pick. So BP is trying to accomplish financially what he cannot do by trading down, to drastically reduce what we pay for this rookie. Makes all the sense in the world to me, financially responsible. He is trying to keep us out of cap hell, while signing any of 3-4 players who all pretty much grade out the same in his book.

I think this is outstanding, smart and I hope it works. Others have started numerous threads on these boards suggesting we pass on the #1 pick, take a player later when we feel it makes sense financially. Parcells is essentially trying to accomplish this, without having to give up any position or rock the boat with the NFL too seriously.

I love it, go get 'em Bill!

6. dgb11112

dgb11112 Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2008
    Atlanta
    Like I mentioned yesterday this is a good ploy for us to trade down as well as skew the process of overpaying

MIKE likes this.
  7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol Wheres that guy that was telling me we were going to offer Ryan a higher grade contract then everyone else yesterday?

My gut tells me that Gholston would be the one to take the smaller deal because he's projected lower.

8. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I disagree with that. There is one guy. His name is Chris Long.

9. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Adam is probably working on the reason for the smokescreen right now :lol:

In all seriousness, this is just the initial offer, it's meant to be low. It'll be increased somewhere down the road.

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He better get Stephen King on the phone for this one. He's gonna need some major stories to pull this off now.

11. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Glenn Dorsey as a 4-3 DT is the only player worth of the #1 pick this year. If we were a 4-3 team, there would be absolutely no question about it. If another 4-3 team had the #1 pick, there would be no question about it.

12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

You took the words right outta my mouth.

Right out.

I want them back, though.

Bpk

13. PhinsRock

You may very well be right, in that Chris Long is NOT being negotiated with. So either Parcells sees Chris as a cut above and therefore not likely to come down to our negotiating price, OR he does not agree with you and doesn't see Chris as equal to Jake and Gholston. I think the first scenario is more likely, but the truth is we will likely never know.

14. PhinsRock

Totally disagree, when negotiating, you can always increase your offer, very seldom can you decrease it. :no:

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    what are you talking about?

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Just who are this guys "insiders", because I seriously doubt that they are low-balling by that much... Sure, they may not offer what Russell got last year because he is a QB, but 10-15 m below last years offers....doubtful...The real world doesn't work that way...

17. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Fins playing on the cheap with 1st pick?
    The News
    In an attempt to update an ongoing story that is now turning from annual ritual to potential debacle, the Miami Dolphins, said to be discussing contractual terms with University of Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long, are reportedly offering a contract described as low, and the report goes on to suggest the Fins are actually shopping contracts to three potential picks with the intent of using the 1st-overall pick of this year's NFL Draft on the player that accepts the lowest number, according to Scout.com.

Our View
    Rob Rang of Scout.com reports that an unnamed source has called the initial offer to Long "low," but also notes sources inside the Fins' organization are claiming the team is torn between three potential players to pick, adding defensive ends Vernon Gholston and Chris Long to the debate. The report states the Fins have offered Jake Long a deal that is $10-15 million less than the 1st-overall pick of 2007 (Oakland QB JaMarcus Russell) was signed for. Rang reports the team intends to offer the same deal to Gholston and Chris Long, and the team is likely to draft the player that agrees to the deal (assuming one does). However, Range notes these are best described as "rumors" and the Fins have yet to enter negotiations with Gholston or Chris Long, thus it is hard to determine if these assertions are in fact true. Stay tuned.
    http://www.fanballnews.com/nfl/