1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Controversy Coming?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    The answer to your question is YES.

2. The Guy

The Guy Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    That would be a passer rating of at least 96, which in 2018 values would've been the top 13 QBs in the league, rounding up on the 13th QB's 95.5 passer rating.

AGuyNamedAlex likes this.
  3. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    So really, I'll meet closer to the middle with your top 6 and say minimum, I want a top 10 guy. That should give us the ability to at least some years be in serious contention while fighting for playoff spots almost every season.

Again I'm speaking minimum here, I want the next Peyton but hey.

The Guy likes this.
  4. The Guy

Oct 1, 2018
    OK, so keep in mind that in the playoffs over the last five years, the correlation between margin and victory and passer rating differential is 0.73, so one of the main things that makes teams win in the regular season (passer rating differential) is one of the same things that makes them win in the playoffs.

So the worse your quarterback is, the better your pass defense will need to be, and vice-versa. If you don't have one of the elite QBs in the league, you'd better focus on pass defense and on being able to stop the elite QBs you'll likely be facing in the playoffs, the guys your non-elite QB likely won't be able to outduel with his own ability.

You need to be able to either beat the opposing QB with your own, or stop the opposing QB with your pass defense while having your own QB not lose the game.

5. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Right, I agree with building the best possible pass defense regardless of who is at QB moving forward.

Also I'm talking about a guy who can put up top 10 numbers with a very average cast, so hopefully we would also have a true dominant WR or TE to help that QB out in time. That would (hopefully) allow said top ten QB to have years where he is in that elite group.

resnor and The Guy like this.
  6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Again...passer rating is NOT causing teams to win. Successful plays, RESULTING IN a good passer rating, causes teams to win. Again, passer rating AND wins are both results.

Agree with your points about defense.

7. The Guy

Oct 1, 2018
    This is again like saying "the temperature of my house isn't causing me to be hot -- it's the heat inside of my house causing me to be hot."

Temperature measures heat. Passer rating measures plays. Again this is a distinction without a difference.

Also, passer rating doesn't just measure successful plays -- it measures unsuccessful plays as well. This is a big part of why it does such a great job of being correlated with winning (and losing).

8. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    I 100% get where you are both coming from.

I do believe passer rating is a team metric, yet at the same time he is right that a lot of it comes down to individual play as well.

That is actually why I like TheGuy because he seems to at least acknowledge there is some crossover between passer rating, team play and individual play.

I just believe hes in the camp that it's mainly individual play with some surrounding sprinkled on top but not swaying the overall analysis. He can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Anyway I see both sides. I love his analysis but I always try and add in my own take of what is happening on the field as well.

The Guy and resnor like this.