Pop that champagne!

30 replies

Nov 18, 2013, 12:07 AM

Your 1972 Miami Dolphins are STILL the only undefeated team in history.

Pretty good day for the Dolphins. Both new and old. :hi5:

Nov 18, 2013, 12:13 AM

That champagne tastes better every year! Cheers!

Nov 18, 2013, 12:14 AM

Just out of curiosity, I'd love to know what our record is on the week the final unbeaten team falls.

CitizenSnipsCitizenSnipsNew Member
Nov 18, 2013, 12:15 AM

Wasn't really much doubt this year. good for the 72 team.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2013, 12:30 AM

Naw, those Chiefs had one heck of a run and I don't buy into that "they haven't played anybody" BS for one second. In the NFL, every game is tough and going 9-0 is definitely one heck of an achievement. My hat goes off to KC and I hope they finish strong.

With that said, I'm thrilled that they lost tonight and another cork was popped on the champagne bottles. Grats '72 Fins!

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

Jt0323Jt0323Staff
Nov 18, 2013, 02:31 AM

Great day for the Miami Dolphins! We win, we are in the playoff picture, and Perfectville population is still 1! Its amazing, the only team I was worried about was Denver. When they lost to Indy, I secretly felt that our Record was safe, not official but I mean come on, no way Kansas City was going 19-0

mrozmrozSupporter
Nov 18, 2013, 03:18 AM

Perfectville Population 1

wonder how many current Dolphins fans are Dolphins fans because of that achievement...

I for one am...

RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2013, 07:22 AM

"mroz wrote:

Perfectville Population 1

wonder how many current Dolphins fans are Dolphins fans because of that achievement...

I for one am...

I am not. I was a fan first then learned about that accomplishment. That makes it sweeter, IMO.

finyank13finyank13New Member
Nov 18, 2013, 08:11 AM

Pats fans have to cry a little bit inside every year when this happens...because they were close....

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

Nov 18, 2013, 08:11 AM

My dad is a huge chiefs fan. I'm happy for him but glad they lost one game! The legend of the 72' phins will forever be uncontested

bbqpitloverbbqpitloverForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2013, 08:27 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFhTTXV3u1A

SpringveldtSpringveldtForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2013, 08:52 AM

This is probably sacrilege but I really don't care at all. It happened before I was even born, I would just like to see us win a Superbowl once in my lifetime.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2013, 09:26 AM

"Springveldt wrote:

This is probably sacrilege but I really don't care at all. It happened before I was even born, I would just like to see us win a Superbowl once in my lifetime.

Those two things have nothing to do with one another.

DolPhinPhan7DolPhinPhan7Forum Veteran
Nov 18, 2013, 09:32 AM

Worst last team to lose EVER!

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Nov 18, 2013, 09:52 AM

I popped some Guinness bottles yesterday, does that count still? Don't ask why I have Guinness bottles in the first place. That's between me and Andy Dalton.

@KevinMD4

ASOTASOTNew Member
Nov 18, 2013, 10:00 AM

"Tannehill wrote:

That champagne tastes better every year! Cheers!

and hopefully Joe Q Public will start to admire the accomplishment the more time passes.

Congrats '72 Phinz !

ASOTASOTNew Member
Nov 18, 2013, 10:02 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuWBZ3nrhxU

FinrunnerFinrunnerForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2013, 10:03 AM

I'm always happy.

I know the old guys don't want to ever see it broken, even by a Miami Dolphins team, but I'd actually like to see a Miami Dolphins team do it again. That dream seems very far off, though...

GO DOLPHINS !!!
WAR EAGLE !!!

Roman529Roman529New Member
Nov 18, 2013, 01:32 PM

I still remember the '72 Season....I was six years old and just starting to watch football. I became a fan mainly because I loved the Dolphin and aqua color, but I jumped on the bandwagon early and have been a fan for 40+ years. I doubt anyone will ever have a perfect season again. The season is just so long and on any given week you have some upsets.

Jt0323Jt0323Staff
Nov 19, 2013, 04:45 PM

I bet the 72 Dolphins secretly popped some champagne when Denver lost to the Colts...

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Nov 20, 2013, 03:54 AM

"Springveldt wrote:

This is probably sacrilege but I really don't care at all. It happened before I was even born, I would just like to see us win a Superbowl once in my lifetime.

Simply cannot understand people with this viewpoint.
Yes another Super Bowl will be great when it happens but the greatness of any franchise is measured in accomplishments over time.
This franchise has an accomplishment that has not been equalled in over 40 years.
If you can't realize how special that is there is no helping you.

RIP Jetssuck

FanMarinoFanMarinoNew Member
Nov 20, 2013, 05:06 AM

"Springveldt wrote:

This is probably sacrilege but I really don't care at all. It happened before I was even born, I would just like to see us win a Superbowl once in my lifetime.

Just because you weren't born shouldn't make a difference. I was knee high to a grasshopper in 72. I love watching the Story of the 72 Dolphins whenever its shown. Be proud!

cdz12250cdz12250Supporter
Nov 20, 2013, 07:09 AM

I was a Jets fan in '72 when I lived in Northern New Jersey. Switched when I moved to Miami in '74. There was no cable or satellite then, and if you wanted to follow pro football, it made sense to root for the team in whose city you lived. That season made the change of allegiance much easier.

In '72, I remember a pervasive feeling of futility when the Jets played the Dolphins, even with Joe Namath at quarterback, John Riggins at running back, and the top passing offense in the NFL. It was like here they come again, and we know exactly what they're going to do, but there's no way to stop them. It was like playing against a machine. They could execute anything perfectly, not every time, but definitely most of the time. The entire league was amazed (meaning fans of other teams you spoke to). Howard Cosell wouldn't shut up, and he kept piling on the pompous superlatives as the season got closer to the Super Bowl. It was one of those things that you were thankful that you were around to see and admire, even if it wasn't your team.

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Nov 20, 2013, 07:48 AM

"Springveldt wrote:

This is probably sacrilege but I really don't care at all. It happened before I was even born, I would just like to see us win a Superbowl once in my lifetime.

I say this every time someone makes this tired old argument:

I wasn't alive when we won World War II either, but I sure am glad we did.

SpringveldtSpringveldtForum Veteran
Nov 20, 2013, 08:32 AM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

I say this every time someone makes this tired old argument:

I wasn't alive when we won World War II either, but I sure am glad we did.

A bit extreme, no? Since I'm British I'm very glad we won the war as well.

From my perspective (I've followed the Dolphins since the NFL was first shown in the UK in the mid 1980's), sure it's cool and all being the only team in history to go undefeated but every year when you see those guys popping the champagne just rubs in how bad the franchise has become now. It's like we are living on past glories since we have nothing to show for the last 40 years.

40 years is a pretty long time btw.