1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Cut Jason Allen

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DevilFin13, Oct 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I can't take it anymore. Please for the love of God just get rid of him. If I have to sit through another performance where Crocker, Hill, Goodman, and Lehan look the way they did while Jason Allen just sits on the sidelines I'm going to lose it. That way when our secondary plays like crap I can say, "Well, we don't have anyone else."

Did Allen not lead the team in INTs with minimal playing time last year? Is the guy not extremely athletic? Does he not have the size to match up with someone like Andre Johnson? Does he not have the mentality that fits with the mold of this team, a mentality that involves being physical and wanting to lay a hit on someone? Are you not paying him 1st round money? And most importantly, can he possibly play any worse than the guys out there now?

For whatever reason the coaching staff doesn't seem to care about the answer to those questions. So either give me a legitimate excuse as to why Allen is not on the field or just get rid of him and let me keep my sanity.

2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    because he is not outperforming the other guys in practice, and that's all it comes down to.

hugoguzman likes this.
  3. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    I need to get the film of practice because I don't see how he doesn't outperform them in practice. If that is the only reason holding him back how can you rationalize it when the guys playing better in practice are being detrimental to winning in actual games?

4. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I know for a fact Jason Allen makes that Renaldo Hill Gimme INT.

Larry Little, Kanye West and alen1 like this.
  5. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Jason Allen did have a nice special teams hit today.

6. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    because he hasn't earned playing time. That's the way Sparano does things. I mean he is very athletic but I just don't think he is smart enough.

7. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Jason Allen is a Ball Hawk plain and simple, he has an eye where the football is and can actually turn that into a TO.

adamprez2003 and Dolfan4Life like this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't buy that he's not smart enough. This is a simplified defense in which he looked very good in prior to the regular season. There's clearly something wrong here and it could be that the team is trying him out at once again a different spot. They have moved him to Cornerback to see how he does there. I don't know if this was planned but I do recall him playing nickel coverage against Kansas City in the pre-season game.

Jason Allen can make plays in the secondary, we witnessed that last year. This year, the defense is dumbed down and they find a way to keep him on the bench. He does take poor angles in run support and does sometimes play himself out of position but you can't tell me this guy can't make more plays than Chris Crocker. Crocker is mediocre in coverage at best and this is one of the questions I have about the coaching staffs moves.

As BuckeyeKing said, if Jason Allen is in Hill's position, he makes that play.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  9. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I know Jason can make plays, and trust me I wish he'd get a shot too. But there has to be a reason he isn't getting playing time, and the only thing I can think of is that he's just not working hard enough/playing well enough/earning time on the field. That's the only thing I can think of.

10. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    we need to play him..he is never gonna pan out(i still have a sliver of hope) if he doesn't play..tell me what hill is doing that j-allen cant do?? ill wait.

11. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    You're probably right. I just think there comes a point where you say the hell with it and you give him a shot. In the end games matter more than practice.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I would think that he would earn opportunities to play by the players ahead of him on the depth chart struggling. The fact that we see Chris Crocker out there in passing situations instead of Jason Allen is almost sickening lol. I wonder if the coaches just have more faith in veterans than Allen.

hugoguzman likes this.
  13. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba

did you see him down that punt when it was still going backwards. The guy is D.U.M.B.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Didn't watch the game but players make mistakes. We've seen plenty stupid plays over the years lol.

15. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I have to agree. At some point, they need to give Allen a chance to start because Hill and Crocker are simply not good enough. They both struggle to make tackles and Hill, for his part, has already dropped two easy interceptions this season.

16. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Other then hill's drops,I like him, but having Crocker playing more then Allen is nuuuuuts.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  17. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think you're really nitpicking, here...

18. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Three regimes and the guy can't get on the field.

At some point I think you have to look at the common denominator.

FinsPensFan, NJFINSFAN1 and funkdat like this.
  19. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I don't buy that. The past two regimes have wanted to sit our best offensive player, Ronnie Brown, on the bench in favor of Jesse Chatman, Patrick Cobbs and Ricky Williams. Those three together don't form a Ronnie Brown. Of course both of them eventually learned to play Ronnie, but the point remains. Just because a regime doesn't play a player doesn't mean they shouldn't be playing.

20. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Practice doesnt always reflect how you play in games.
    In practices Grossman is good..games..not so much

21. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I agree. It's no coincidence.

The guy must be bad. It took 4 players getting injured last year for him to get on the field.

I'm a little wary of judging his play the 2nd half of last year as decent simply because we were usually playing behind by 2 touchdowns.

Had he been a 2nd round or later pick he'd probably have been cut long ago.

22. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Coach Sparano was asked this just on Thursday. Said he is coming along as a CB and they hope to get him reps there soon. Until then, he's a special teams gunner.

Also, he got on the field last year towards the end ... and became our leading INT'er and one of the leaders in tackles as well. Once upon a time Priest Holmes kept getting passed up as well ... just saying!

unluckyluciano likes this.
  23. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He was making so much damn progress at FS last year. It's sheer stupidity. If it's him that game is over.

24. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Cut from the team or cut Michael Irvin style?:lol:

25. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    this guy obviously sucks......he had a lot of tackles last year??? that sucks......alot of plays got made into our 2nd and 3rd layers of defense.....never a good thing.....when your safety has a lot of tackles.....and please spare me the "polumalu" comparison.....j allen couldn't tie troys cleats at safety.......

like muck said look at the common factor here fellas.....this guys a friggin bust.....he shouldn't be a bust....cause he should have NEVER been drafted so high.....but fact is he was and IS a bust......the fact that he is learning these positions....and is only mopping up and playing special teams is pathetic for a 16th overall pick.....and spare me the new schemes.......everyone else is doing it......vonnie holliday will allen goodman.....hill.....lehan....they are all playing thru new schemes and play calls and coverages......and they are playing......

lock up j allen into travis daniels catigory......he won't last much longer.....been this long and he's giving so minimal to this team....chalk it up as another terrible pick by one of our past regimes :up:

FinsPensFan likes this.
  26. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    The truth is some guys are lousy practice players but shine on the playing field. I think Allen is one of those kind of guys. Every time he's been in the game he has shown success. He just doesn't get on the field much because of the coaches philosophy "earn your way on it". I'm not saying it's wrong, but that's the way it is. He certainly has been better on the field then what we have seen this year from the other guys.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  27. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I just have a hard time believing that he sucks that bad. I mean, he was good the end of last year, and he looked really good all preseason. Whatever, it's tough for a guy to pan out when he doesn't get playing time.

28. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Saw that and another player pointed out to him that it was still rolling and would have ended up a couple more yards down field.

29. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    It wasn't even slowing down yet!!!!! Probably cost us 4-5 yards

I am no Allen fan but I agree he would have made any of those picks if he was in position. The problem is he would not be in those positions

30. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    We're at least as weak at CB as we are at FS...if he could make it there I would be thrilled. As people are saying about Hill and Crocker at FS, I can't believe he would be worse than Goodman at CB. Also, supposing he really is dumb (I have no idea), doesn't CB put less demand on the brain than FS?

31. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Why would we cut Jason Alen all that money invested in him and we are going to cut him. Did you watch the game yesterday? Jason Allen had a nice day. He is not a bad special teams player and we hae seen flashes of him being good. So why would he cut him he is at least peforming in special teams and like Buckeyeking sdaid he would have had that pick that Relnaldo Hill dropped yesterday even thought Relnaldo Hill did have a good game.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  32. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm saying that if they don't play him in front of guys who are playing poorly then cut him so I don't have to wonder if he could play better than them. Its a plead for me to keep my sanity.

33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My guess on the common denominator is that JA is not a good practice player so the coaches don't trust him. This sounds similar to what happen to Brown vs. Chatman and vs. RW. It also sounds similar to what happened to Bell vs. Hill (I think?). These were clearly erroneous calls by the coaching staffs. When JA was forced to play due to injuries he performed pretty well. I don't think he's the brightest guy but he's one of the best athletes and has decent instincts. IMO if he gets enough reps his playmaking ability could take over and we might have a player. Even Testaverde became known as a smart QB after a few seasons and he was an idiot. The S position that isn't making our secondary calls (Bell does that) isn't as intellectually demanding so instinctual playing should come quicker. It also doesn't help that they keep changing JA's position every 2-3 months.

34. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    he should be playing once he gets in there the coaches will know for sure that they made a mistake by not putting him in there

35. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Why would we cut him we have a ton of money invested in him and we will just say cya later. No. We have also been moving him around a ton we need to let him get use to a position and let him stick there. We have also seen flashes of him being good.........if not great. Give him a break let him get use to the new coaching staff because he has had a new one ever since he has been here. He will get better before his contract is up and he will start next year.

36. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Is that the one situation that convinced you he is dumb?

37. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Jason Allen easily intercepts that pass that Renaldo Hill dropped. I'm sorry, but the guy is a playmaker; he's always been one. Say whatever you want. He needs to play more, because we have nothing to lose with this piss poor secondary right now.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  38. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    you dont cut Jason Allen just to cut him. If you have somebody you think will help this team more than him and he's available then you can do it but considering there isnt anybody better on a practice squad right now, keep him till the offseason and then see how things play out. I saw talent when he played but its definitely a bit perplexing why he keeps finding himself in the doghouse

39. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Dude, how the hell is he suppose to progress when they switch his position every year...

First year he's a safety then converted to a cornerback...

Then Cameron/Capers convert him back to safety...

Allen plays safety throughout training camp and then about two weeks before the season we find out he's being switched back to cornerback?

He needs to get comfortable in his position and switching it every year doesn't help... I think switching him to cornerback says more about our piss poor cornerbacks than anything...

40. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm just being sarcastic. I don't really want to cut him. I want him to prove to me that he is worse than the guys we have out there now. I'm not convinced he is and until I am I will be aggitated by his abscence. That's all I was trying to get across.