1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playoffs? "Why Not?" says Sparano

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The Rev, Nov 5, 2008.

1. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

When I first started reading the article, I said to myself "Don't say we're contenders." But, as you read the article, you start understanding his logic: win not compete.
    Why shouldn't there be playoff expectations? After all, Sparano has them.

Click for Article

2. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Really puts an end to that whole rebuilding mentality doesn't it. The world thought we were rebuilding, and all of our FO and i'm sure now players think, no such thing. Win now.

The Rev likes this.
  3. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

We are rebuilding, a 1-15 team doesn't turn into a playoff contender without rebuilding. We just have such incredibly good people in charge of the rebuilding process that we can now actually be considered contenders. That IMHO is one of the greatest feats I have ever witnessed in the NFL. It even out shines the NO Saints turnaround from 4-12 to 10-6 in 1 year.

Imagine what this team is going to be capable of next year! :up:

And BTW, sorry to go off topic, but I don't think this deserves its own thread, but: can there be any doubt that Bill Parcells has with this turnaround guaranteed himself to be a first year/ballot HOF'er?

opfinistic and The Rev like this.
  4. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    So what does rebuilding mean?
    New QB?
    New HC? and new system?
    Do you have to have a certain number of new players on your roster for it to be said that you're rebuilding?
    Is it okay to say yeah we were rebuilding this past off season - but not now?
    Due to FA and the salary cap every team has a bit of a different look every year.

5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I don't think it's that cut and dry. We lost two big names over the summer and cut a whole bunch more. We have a new GM, a new HC, a new system and certainly a bunch of new players, rookies included.

To me it comes down to durability. There are some teams who haven't changed that much from last year to this year and while I agree that "each team looks a bit different" teams usually don't look this different.

6. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Let me preface my post with; I'm not trying to be argumentative here.
    But it sounds to me like "rebuilding" is subjective. It's really a nebulous term that people kind of toss around sort of like "product of the system". In other words it can mean whatever you want it to.
    Me I think that with the FA system in place there is no such thing as rebuilding in the classic sense. Everyone reloads with a "win now" mentality. Some do so cautiously so as not to mortgage the future in the process - ie: our own FO. But, nonetheless I don't think any team disassembles with a "no expectations" year in sight.

7. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Hell yeah we are rebuilding.

But who says you give up your season when you rebuild?

8. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    And who says you need a 2 or 3 year plan. Strike while the iron is hot! 12-4 here we come. :woot:

Phins28, Agua and anlgp like this.
  9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

just discussing here :)

and yeah 3 years.. screw that.

late again likes this.
  10. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    The thing is you got to always have hope to strive for better. What good coach or any coach honestly would go to his players and go. "Guys, play hard but we are not good enough to make playoffs..."

You got to always strive for better and right now we are in the mix and until we are not. Then we do have shot at the playoffs regardless of who says what. We can play with anyone out there and we have proved it. We just need to stay consistent.

11. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    rebuilding is a bad way to put things. its an overused word that is pretty antiquated. and if anything, we're rebuilt, with much room to improve. but the majority of changes are done...yet we will always change more and evolve.

i just want to take it one week at a time, and enjoy the wins....savor them like a nice steak. no need to rush ahead.

late again likes this.