1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playoff Picture today : Fins 9th seed

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2socks, Oct 31, 2015.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

REMAINING OPPONENTS: at Bills (3-4), at Eagles (3-4), vs. Cowboys (2-4), at Jets (4-2), vs. Ravens (1-6), vs. Giants (4-3), at Chargers (2-5), vs. Colts (3-4), vs. Patriots (7-0)

LOL Denver (6-0) and fALCONS (6-1) WILD CARD TEAMS

not sure if being a wildcard with that type of record demonstrates a flaw in the playoff system. One could argue it does

yogi superstar and cbrad like this.
  2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Good post. We're really still in the playoff picture given that the Jets, Bills and Raiders are ahead of us (Pitt/Cinci we won't overtake). So I wouldn't get too depressed about this loss yet.. still a lot of football to play!

2socks likes this.
  3. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Yep we still got a shot at the playoffs.

4. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    Before the game even a loss to New England to put the team at 3-4 I wasn't ready to call the season over. An 8-8 record could possibly get the 6th seed. Certainly a 9-7 record this year. But with Cameron Wake being out for the season and Juwon James being out 4-6 weeks I don't believe they can. Two big losses. Wake is the MVP of this team IMO. James being out now means Fox is starting. Wake was the only DL getting to the QB with consistency. The pass rush is essentially gone.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  5. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah, but you gotta admit we still have a realistic chance of beating out the Jets and Bills (and Oakland) with what we have left. No reason to lose hope just yet.

6. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    If we assume that the Patriots, Bengals, Colts and Broncos win their divisions, Miami would have to better than all but one of the following: Bills, Jets, Raiders Chiefs, and Chargers.

Even though the Titans, Texans, Jaguars, Browns and Ravens look out of it I'd say Miami is hard pressed to get in. They're going to have to run the ball really well with Jason Fox now in the lineup and somehow get pressure without the guy who had 50% of the teams sacks.

Dolphinzdawgg likes this.
  7. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah, it's hard for every one of those teams you listed to get in, but I wouldn't say it's harder for Miami than any one of them. One good fact: we play the Jets, Bills, Ravens and Chargers, so it may come down to how good our record is in those 4 games (we have to win 3 of 4 probably).

8. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Yeah we are very much in this. We are right on the same level with these other teams we have to play, so anything is possible. A win up in Buffalo would be massive. This is also the time of year that you start to scoreboard watch because every week really begins to matter.
    Baltimore needs to beat San Diego for starters,
    After that who are we rooting for in the Jests Raiders game? I guess Oakland?
    Hopefully Detroit beats KC,
    and Cleveland loses too.
    Who do we root for in the Pitt/Cincy game?

9. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    Its Pittsburgh and the steJ we'll have to be better than to get a wild card, they are the only teams to worry about, but we're not catching them, both those teams are clearly better than we are.

10. Chuck Wilson

Chuck Wilson New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    This might be a bit too dramatic for some, but I believe the loser of the Bills and Dolphins is essentially eliminated from playoff contention.

Samphin likes this.
  11. finsfandan

finsfandan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I wouldn't go that far. I forgot which season it was that San Diego barely sneaked into the playoffs. They needed so many things to fall into place for them to enter but it happened. In other words, it ain't over 'til it's over.

That being said, our chances would drop dramatically, especially considering our division record would be 0-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    The Bengals are likely going to take that division so root for them to put another loss on the Steelers.

13. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    ^Oh...Well...GOOOOO BENGALS

14. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    0-4 actually, we're already 0-3.

15. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    I'd have to agree, unless something bad happens to the Steelers or steJ, they will be the WC teams.

16. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Anything is possible but we all saw how bad this defense was before Wake was able to create a pass rush. With him gone, that exposes our weak pass d. I'm also not sold on this offense being able to pick up the slack. I would love to be wrong but I don't see it.

17. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Surprise, Arizona
    Bowles and his cavalry will get that 5th seed.

It's going to come down to us and Pittsburgh for the 6th.

18. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I would be so into this thread if Wake wasn't out for the season.

MAFishFan likes this.
  19. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Pittsburgh lost.. now at 4-4. Chargers lost. Jets losing right now against Oakland. If we win against Buffalo, we're right in the thick of things.

20. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

We just need to get to 9/7. Forget about tie breakers...9/7 and we are in playoffs. So...we have three losses to play with. Thats when you know our season is done.

21. vt_dolfan

Wake was being used essentially in a pass rushing situation only. Personally if you put Chris McCain in same spot...hes gonna get the needed pressure

22. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I agree....forget about all the, "Well what about this team or that team" nonsense. None of it matters if Miami can win football games. We're 3-4, and to have a realistic chance of the playoffs, we need to finish the season 6-3 or better. If that happens, we're in. If it doesn't happen, we're not.

Let's look at who we have remaining-

Buffalo
    Philly
    Dallas
    Jets
    Ravens
    Giants
    Chargers
    Colts
    Pats

1) Let's be 100% realistic here. We won't likely beat the Pats, so let's call the last game first...that's loss #5.

2) Next, Philly, Dallas, Giants and Indy are teams we should beat, and if we don't then the season is screwed anyway. So let's say we take 3 of 4 and put us at 6-6 overall.

3) That leaves Buffalo, the Jets, Baltimore, and San Diego....all AFC opponents we're fighting for the final playoff spots. And let's say we split with Baltimore and/or San Diego, placing us a 7-7 overall.

4) I also feel that Buffalo is a must-win game, and I believe that our team will come out extremely motivated. Let's call this a win and we're 8-7 overall. With how screwed up the standings are this season, we have about a 40% chance of being in the playoffs at this point.

5) Which leaves the Jets...a team that I think will continue playing solid football. If we beat them, we're almost definitely in the post-season. If we lose, then maybe we squeak in anyway. But since we'll probably face them in the Wild Card game if we lose the first time, this is also a very big game either way.

So the two real keys to the season FOR ME is the Buffalo and NY Jets games remaining. If we go 2-0 in those, I think we're in the playoffs. If we go 1-1, then its another one of those seasons where we're not dead until week 17. If we lose both, then it's going to be a fairly long wait until 2016 arrives and we name a new head coach. Because if we do lose both, I think the Campbell experiment ends in 2015.....so I really, really, really hope that we don't lose both because I love Campbell overall.

23. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I think it totally matters what happens to other teams. There are quite a few instances of 8-8 teams getting a wild card spot (and the rare 7-9 even winning a division). Based on results so far that last wild card spot could very realistically go to an 8-8 team, especially with the Jets getting blown out right now.

24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    steelers losing today was big for us, we are right there if we beat the bills.

25. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I don't think Wake is so easily replaced, especially by a guy who has gotten 7 snaps this year. The biggest problem is we already have 3 guys starting on this defense that shouldn't be starters in the NFL. Who knows about McCain but it would be tough to say he's starter caliber if he was barely sniffing the field.

I just think this team has far too many holes at this point to be a playoff contender. Our OL only has 2 starting caliber players left. I don't see us being able to run the ball and I don't think Tannehill is good enough to carry this offense. The only area we excelled at, rushing QB's, just got substantially weaker.

I think we were fooled by our offseason. Suh was not the answer(not saying he's not good, but he isn't carrying our defense), our revamped offense isn't really revamped, we still have the same problems at the same positions we had last year. On top of that, we have another draft class that is contributing very little.

26. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    Jets lost which was good, Chargers lost too which was good. We're in this, but we gotta show up against Buffalo.

number21 and yogi superstar like this.
  27. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    plus fitz got hurt, so geno smith is back... a wild card is still a possibility. aside from the patriots game all remaining games for miami are winnable. doesn't mean we win them, but the possibility is there.

28. Splattoreus

Splattoreus New Member

Oct 4, 2015
    I was watching the jets game and Geno looked awful. The only thing I could of was how did this guy light up the defense last year.

77FinFan likes this.
  29. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    lots of injuries around the league. leveon bell done for season?

30. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    As the other teams fall, we have to believe we have a shot. Hopefully Campbell is talking with the team about that as well. To play devils advocate, the other teams are probably looking at us and saying now that Wake is gone and Tanny not stepping up in big games, they don't have to worry about us either. Especially with the way we lost to NE.

31. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Unfortunately, our four losses are all against AFC teams which will come back to haunt us, especially the three divisional losses, so far. We have no head-to-head matchups with The Raiders or Steelers, so our easiest path is to leapfrog our own divisional rivals.

Which means games against The Bills and Jets are 100% must win scenarios.

If we lose to Buffalo this week, you might as well start playing the younger guys and see what we have to build on for next season and start making some educated decisions on some of the free agents (Vernon, Shelby, Miller, etc.)

padre31 likes this.
  32. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Well I do think we are eliminated if we lose because that would bring us to 0-4 in the east.

33. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Please don't tell Tanny they're must win games....he'll fold like always. Tell him they are meaningless, maybe then we have a shot.

34. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Exactly, otherwise we could finish the Saban 9-7 and have -0- shot at the playoffs

35. vt_dolfan

The Bills and Jets games are must win scenarios no doubt. Frankly with this much on line...if we can't go to Buffalo and win..whats the point anyways.

36. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I think we'll see what we really have with this coaching staff this week. Thay had extra days to prepare for the bills and it's a must win. Let's see what they come up with.

37. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    Way to belittle what all Wake has done for this team. That easy huh?

number21 likes this.
  38. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Have you seen Oakland play? They'll likely kick our *** this year now.

39. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    If we play Oakland this year I'll be pretty happy cause it would mean we're in the playoffs. Only team we play from the AFC West are the Chargers this season.

40. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    So, we're 3 spots out of a Wildcard seed with the meat of our schedule coming up without Wake or James (who is being replaced by Dall*blech*as Thomas)...

[​IMG]