1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playoff Expansion?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Jan 8, 2014.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Not sure if you would keep this here mods, but at first I didnt like this idea, but I think I am coming around to it..I don't think that the #2 should have a bye. Thoughts?

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I wouldn't mind. Part of what makes the playoffs great is unpredictability. You can make the arguement that teams won't deserve it, but if a 8-8/7-9 team runs through power houses and wins it all...I can't say that.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    will the extra afc team play the extra NFC team.?... I don't get it, how can you have 7 teams from each conference and play games within the conference.?

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    You just negate the bye week for the 2 seed.

djphinfan and finyank13 like this.
  5. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    The way injuries have been increasing every year, I wonder what implications the extra game will have on the outlook of it all, available roster space, etc., if at all.

6. MIASportsFan

MIASportsFan New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    West Palm
    I like it the way it is. Keep the exclusivity. Expansion would make it more like the NBA playoffs where any mediocre team can make the 6-8 seed and get in.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think the reason behind it is faulty considering we had playoff games, in football cities no less, in danger of being blacked out.

finyank13 likes this.
  8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I'd be more in favor of a record based seeded tourney rather than an expansion. The divisions are great for maintaining regular season rivalries and schedules, but I don't see why we have to rigidly adhere to them being a prime determining factor of the playoffs when some are some are so clearly inferior to others.

9. MIASportsFan

MIASportsFan New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    West Palm
    I think record should precede Division winners for determining home games. No way 12 and 4 SF should play on the road to 8-7-1 GB.

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  10. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Nobody cares about attendance.

An Additional Game for CBS, NBC, or FOX means an additional 30 to 40 Million in revenue to each of those entities. They would be getting bang for their Billion dollar buck.

This is a GREAT idea. if they put the game on a Friday night..it would be a MASSIVE bonanza.

Starry31 and finyank13 like this.
  11. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Not a math major?

Bye: #1 seed

#2 plays #7
    #3 plays #6
    #4 plays #5

The Three WC winners move on to the 2nd round...and hook up with the #1 seed to form the same Div. Round we have today...

12. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Not just that, but it's letting a team like Arizona miss the playoffs entirely. Why do we NEED the division - even conference - structure in the playoffs? We could easily say that Seattle vs Carolina or San Fran is the best matchup of teams in the playoffs. It would totally eliminate "weak" division or conference years like the AFC is having right now. Better game.

Like Section says though, its all about the money with these people, rather than anything else. More games = more money. Thus why we have 4 preseason games still, and why an 18 game schedule keeps rearing up despite the injuries that would occur.

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I knew the answer wasn't gonna end well for me..lol..

Duh..the 2nd seed loses their bye.

14. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Prepare for the same boring, extended display of mediocrity that is the NBA playoffs, with 7-9 teams stumbling around watching the clock, hoping it goes faster so it eases their misery.

MikeHoncho, gilv13 and djphinfan like this.
  15. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Yet another money grab by the league. No need to fix what isn't broken.

16. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I can see this EASILY passing owner vote.

17. phinator

phinator New Member

Jan 6, 2014
    More playoffs spots might make it seem less prestigious, but if you have a bad team have a year where they do enough to earn the 7th spot why not? To win a championship you have to be in the playoffs. Maybe that's why baseball isn't as interesting because they didn't have enough teams making it in and more fans will stopping early enough if they know they are out of the playoffs well before.

18. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    So you think of Pittsburgh played NE this year they would have no chance? Give me a break.

The NBA has absolutely 0 parity league wide. The NFL does.

19. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm opposed to any change in the playoff format, other than starting the whole season (and thus the playoffs) earlier, like they used to. Two BYEs, six teams per conference, division winners get home games, regardless of record. The Fins are already screwed by our division setup, possibly taking away the home game reward is doom.

20. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The Cardinals could take the Panthers as well.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It adds more excitement to the regular season.

22. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I like the way it is now, w/ a premium on playoff spots. Only 12 get in, 20 stay home. If this passes, its' 14 in, 18 home, which is getting closer to half. I don't like the sound of that at all.

That said, this will happen, cause $$$$, and this is a business afterall. Oh well, may as well embrace it, even if I don't like it.

23. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I hate this idea.

Takes away from the importance of winning your division. The dynamics within your division is my favorite part of football, really. Playing the same teams twice every year...it's how you build rivalries, measure yourself up, get revenge, etc. If more teams can get into the postseason without having to beatup their rivals, then those games lose their edge. It also rewards mediocrity (another 8-8 team, for instance) and punishes good play (eliminating the second Bye). 14 out of 32 teams making it is simply too many. It also takes away from the regular season with each game meaning a little less.

24. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    If they expand the league to 34 or 36 teams...and only 12 teams get a chance at the SB at the end of the season....you will lose interest from the already struggling fanbases. If you are increasing the competition to get to the playoffs without adjusting the playoff structure (which is in my opinion pretty messed up already with GB in the playoffs but Arizona missing out for instance...) then you will pressure teams/players/coaches/fans to bandwagon and attach themselves to already powerful teams for a shot to win and keep winning.

To hell with the salary cap, we have seen many waive the extra dollars to just play in a winning system. If the NFL expands, and it seems very likely with LA and London being close to certainties...this is your opportunity to fix the ridiculous playoff qualifying system by having perhaps 4 extra teams go to the playoffs and run a normal 16-team tournament like most sports. It will also decrease the chances of a few bad ref calls and lucky plays determining the SB champion when everyone has to win 4 games to get to take it home.