1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Players to Watch-DEC 20-23.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by BuckeyeKing, Dec 19, 2008.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Wake Forest-Aaron Curry(OLB), Alphonso Smith(CB), Chip Vaughn(SS)
    Vs
    Navy-Eric Kettani(FB)

Colorado St-Gartrell Johnson(RB), Kory Sperry(TE), Mike Pagnotta(SS)
    Vs
    Fresno St-Bear Pascoe(TE)

Memphis-Brandon Pearce(T)
    Vs
    South Florida-George Selvie(DE), Nate Allen(FS), Tyrone McKenzie(OLB), Cedric Hill(FB)

BYU-Dennis Pitta(TE), Ray Feinga(OG), Travis Bright(OG), Dallas Reynolds(C), David Nixon(OLB), David Oswald(OT)
    Vs
    Arizona-Ronnie Palmer(ILB)

Southern Miss-Gerald McRath(ILB), Shawn Nelson(TE), Calvin Wilson(OT)
    Vs
    Troy-Sherrod Martin(FS), Terence Moore(SS)

Boise St-Richie Brockel(FB), Kyle Wilson(CB), Andrew Woodruff(OG)
    Vs
    TCU-Jerry Hughes(OLB), Jason Phillips(ILB), Stephen Hodge(SS), Blake Schlueter(C), Cody Moore(DT), Steven Coleman(FS), Shae Reagan(TE), Marshall Newhouse(OT), Matt Panfil(OLB)

There now remember these names when watching these games.

Big Red and rafael like this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I would add Clinton McDonald to Memphis as well as Duke Calhoun and Greg Terrell. Those are guys that I want to see from Memphis.

Brandon Long of Troy is an intriguing name and I can't wait to tape and watch that game.

I finally get the chance to see Hughes of TCU.

Eddie Hicks of Southern Miss has got some nice size.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  3. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I mainly got those who were seniors and a few underclassmen.

4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Curry seems very quiet in this game - announcers love him, but I havent seen much from him....Smith has INT but Navy isnt throwing much. I have watched him sneak up in run protection but limited action with tackling. Vaughn is invisible.

Kettani is a nice ballhandler and finds creases to make yards.

5. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I like Kettani seems like a good run blocker and can pick up tough yards.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I didn't get to watch this game but Smith is an impressive player. For his stature, he is physical, he has good ball skills and seems to be around the ball often. He's pretty willing in run support and he makes plays. Earlier this season against BC, he had two forced fumbles when he came up in run support. He's impressive. He's similar to Antoine Winfield IMO.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  7. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ok, moving on.....

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Add A.J. Jefferson of Fresno State to that list. Cornerback, #28.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ebbon Britton the OT from Arizona is a fast riser.

10. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I tried to focus on players we could pick.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Gartrell Johnson is tearing it up today. He would have more yardage if he had a second gear of speed. His first carry was a long gain and he got ran down from behind.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    There goes the lack of open field speed by Johnson again. Two times now he could have had a long touchdown.

13. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    If he had 2nd level speed he would be a very very good back.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Absolutely. He runs hard and he's big. Reminds me a bit of Hightower of AZ.

15. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Exactly he know he can't make defenders miss so he puts his pads down and hits some people! I like how he finds the whole and hits it, no dancing just powers on through. Looks like he has some decent hands aswell.

16. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Wow Gartrell Johnson. TEARING IT UP.

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wow. 285.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Brandon Lang, C.J. Bailey, Sherrod Martin, Shawn Nelson, and Eddie Hicks tonight.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Did anybody else watch Troy vs Southern Miss?

What an awful injury to DeAndre Brown, the 6'6" true freshmen WR of Southern Miss. But man, he's got some good speed with that size. Then after him, C.J. Bailey goes out with an injury lol.

20. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    How did McRath do?

21. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Curry didn't have a great game but he didn't need to. Wake Forest won handily. I'm sure they game-planned around Curry and he still made his fair share of plays. He is a great player.

Alphonso Smith had a very good game from what I saw.

You didn't mention him but Brandon Ghee had a great game. His stock will probably rise. He is a CB who is also a standout on special teams. Made quite a few plays on defense as well as ST. He's a junior. Not sure if he will declare.

WR D.J. Boldin had a couple of nice grabs. Not sure if he's worth a draft pick or not but definitely worth a look as an UDFA. Yes, he is Anquan's little bro. Hasn't had the greatest QB throwing to him in Skinner.

Stanley Arnoux is a fringe player. An ILB who has a 7th round grade. He made a few plays and has been living in Curry's shadow. Could be a sleeper.

If Boo Robinson declares he might get a look. He is the right size (6-2 325) to play NT but I don't think he's as dominant as he needs to be.

Not sure we watched the same game. :lol: From what I saw Vaughn was far from invisible. Thought he had a very good game.

22. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I know I removed Boo Robinson because I read he was staying for his senior year.

23. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
  24. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007

Likely to stay in school but a 1st rounder if he declares.

25. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Big fan of Brandon Ghee and he played well again. I actually thought Curry did the little things well; he didn't need to be all over the field making plays; he had to stay more disciplined than perhaps he's ever had to do in th epasy 2 seasons; he set the edge brilliantly, he forced runners inside to the MLB's, he cut off options. I thought it was everything that I wanted to see from a potential top 5 pick because it was almost everything answered that I had questions about.

Big Red likes this.
  26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Does anyone else plan on watching Hawaii - Notre Dame? Not many guys for this upcoming draft but there are a few such as Ryan Mouton, CB of Hawii, Notre Dame's David Bruton and Raeshon McNeil.

EDIT: Are Mouton and McNeil even playing?

27. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I implore everyone to watch the Motor City Bowl. Specifically for two prospects on FAU's side: middle linebacker Frant Joseph (#56) and cornerback Corey Small (#26).

28. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    We may not all be able to watch them live. But I can bet one of us has it on DVD. :wink2:

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Is it just me or does Jerry Hughes remind you a bit of Jason Taylor when he's running?

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I read that Hughes said he would be back to TCU. This was following the bowl game. Wonder if he comes back or declares.

31. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    How did Mouton play Alen? He's hellish quick and has played pretty well this season. He's in that pick of mid to late rounders for me at the moment. And what about Mike Turkovich at LT? He would have been matched up on David Veikune.

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Mouton didn't end up playing. I was looking for him but they had #3 starting in his place. When I saw that Mouton wasn't present, I popped in the Jerry Hughes tape and watched it lol. I have Mouton on another tape though, against Cincinnati I think. I didn't know about Turkovich, so I'll see him in the Cincinnati game eventually.

EDIT: Damn, I just realized Mouton didn't play in the Cincinnati game either.

33. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Just watched some of that BYU game; Ray Feinga is a beast at LG. Did you catch him?

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I actually didn't get to watch much of that game, I have it recorded but had some things to sort out with the family. I'll get to it eventually. I recall his name being mentioned a couple times though.

Have you caught any of Alterraun Verner of UCLA and Alex McGee of Purdue ?

Regan21286 likes this.
  35. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I've seen Verner and I know he's your pet project!! McGhee - the Purdue DT? If so, I don't think so. I don't think I've seen any of Purdue yet this season.

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Haha, Verner looks good out there. My favorite prospect is Larry English. I think I've seen more of him than anyone else.

Yep. MaGee is DE/DT for Purdue. He's got pretty good quickness off the line, he fights the double teams with strength well and has blocked three career kicks. He's in the 295 area I believe and I remembered you saying about possibly kicking Tyson Jackson of LSU inside so I thought about doing the same with MaGee. I just don't know if he can hold up blocks as I haven't seen too much of him.

I'm watching Sidbury of Richmond right now. I'm midway through the second quarter and he looks a bit stiff in his hips when changing directions but he sets the edge well and can get off blocks because of his very long arms. He doesn't look like he's giving full effort when pursuing. Have to give some credit to the 6'6", 315 lbs. mammoth RT Bob Swift of Northern Iowa. He's doing a good job on Sidbury.

EDIT:

Watching this game again to see James Ruffin and while watching him, I noticed Jeremy Robertson. Robertson is a rotational player for Northern Iowa whose powerful, quick and has the size at 6'4", 255. Came in and just tossed aside Richmond's RT Silva. He's probably not going to get drafted from what I've read but he's stood out when he's taking part in the game. Its clear that Robertson is taking off plays though.

37. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Finished up with BYU/Arizona. Eben Britton confirmed what I said in LTB in midseason - if there's a better LT out there, then they're going to have to be very, very good. 8 1st round left tackles at my count IF Smith, Okung, Britton and Ciron Black come out. Feinga left the game after I posted that and only came back for one series. Travis Bright the RG played pretty well as did Dallas Reynods the senior OC. Not impressed with Jan Jurgenson who says he's coming out and Dennis Pitta who's already said he was leaving was impossible to grade on his gimpy leg as he did nothing in line and was completely restricted as a receiver.

Austin Collie who was the only player to give Sean Smith a game this season was impressive with the fundamentals of the game; route running and the way he worked back to Max Hall to give him a target time and again. That's such a rarity in college football. Rumours are that he's coming out as well. Deleshaun Dean outplayed Mike Thomas, but Thomas is so quick off the line. He's into top gear in a real hurry.

alen1 likes this.
  38. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Really looking forward to seeing English in his final game at the weekend.

39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Sounds like I have to get to this game quick lol.

40. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    He's 60-40% in terms of staying. Just waiting to see what the draft status evaluation will yield but he's most likely going to stay his senior year unless DeWayne Walker leaves. Was very disappointed in how the year went, got an expletive-laced response when I texted him after the $C loss which is very rare for him to do so. He really wants to get his Math/Applied Sciences degree and go out with a bowl. Personally, I think he can use an extra year here and not just because I want to see our secondary stay better. Norris is finally mitigating his lack of speed and teams may throw to Verner more often (still lesser of two evils though). Good chance for more plays.

alen1 likes this.