1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Players on the Spot article from Espn Crowder and Porter

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jackson, Sep 6, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good read Jackson.

I think they were pretty spot on as you said. They said that if Porter moves to Jason's old spot. I believe he has so that's settled. I think Porter will be productive there. I do worry about his injuries though. He's getting older and injuries might be catching up to him with grueling practices.

Regarding Crowder, I really like what I've seen/heard from him this off-season. In the film room constantly, staying a couple hours after practice and making all the calls. Really impressive and I think that this year will be a good one for him. He seems to have learned a lot from Zach and that's a great thing to hear. Plus, it is his contract year and after his request to get paid, he needs to show he deserves it. Btw, the quote of Zach being one of three players with 100 tackles in his first ten years shows you how great he really was.

As for the others mentioned in the article, here are some of my thoughts:

Justin Tuck Replacing Strahan: I think that Tuck will do a very good job of replacing him. Tuck has good speed and uses his hands very well to get around the Tackles. He had 10 sacks in 20 games last year including 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble in the Super Bowl. The bigger problem for the Giants is replacing Umenyiora. Umenyiora is very valuable to them and his replacement is Mathias Kiwanuka. Kiwanuka is a tweener at the DE spot and that was one of the reasons he slipped to number 32 in the draft when he came out. With Tuck likely to get double teamed this season, Kiwanuka will have to make plays for them. Also, the defensive tackles will have to get sacks like they did last year.

Tommy Kelly Replacing Warren Sapp: I don't know what in the world the Raiders were thinking paying Kelly big money. They are worse off when he's on the field, with the offense's YPC only going up. I don't know if they will improve in their run defense especially with Kelly full-time now. They were worse with him on the field as I said earlier.

Tamba Hali Replacing Jared Allen: This is one to keep an eye-on. Hali benefited from having Allen opposite of him because teams had to double Allen. Now, with him gone, Hali's production may drop. He has been productive as the article stats though so its something to watch.

Deltha O'Neal Replacing Asante Samuel: I really don't want to say this but I think O'Neal will rebound in his career and have a good year. He's very similar to Samuel in the way they play. He often tries to make a play, jumping routes which fits what they want. As of right now, they have Terrance Wheatley starting at the number two CB spot. I don't know how long that lasts for them. They like him but he's going to have trouble since he is a rookie.

Speaking of replacements, here's a surprise one. Look for Dre' Bly to be demoted to nickel if he continues to struggle in coverage. He had 70% of the passes thrown his way completed last year which is a terribly high percentage. He struggles in man coverage, especially against speed WR's (i.e. Greg Jennings). The guy who would replace him is Karl Paymah. The Broncos absolutely love Paymah and they are currently working on a contract extension with him. His progress is one of the reasons Dominique Foxworth, who I like, was shipped to Atlanta.

Jackson likes this.
  2. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    Great write up on some of the other players. I always enjoy reading your posts.

alen1 likes this.