1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phins Trade Bait

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MaddMatt, Jan 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    This is projected to be one of the best drafts ever, and I'm sure Tuna would like some more picks. Who can we trade to accomplish this, and would it be worth it?

Bell or Wilson- Same player for one position. Age is a factor. Bell for a 3rd.

JT or JP- Same player for one position. JP for a 4th.

W Allen- He is not going to start, can't afford the depth. Allen for a 3rd.

Ronnie- TUFF choice. Injuries are too much to deal with. Brown for a 2nd.

My compensations for these players are based on playoff type team making the trades, and would be lower round picks.

Thoughts?

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The only player worth any trade value is Ronnie Brown. No one else we would consider trading is worth higher than a 4th IMO.

Brown could be a 2nd or 3rd.

SICK, High Definition, mor911 and 3 others like this.
  3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    JT has a one year contract, you cannot trade players who are not on your team.

gafinfan and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Ronnie Brown is too darn important to our team to trade, and relying on a stud RB in the draft has proven a bigger gamble than russian roulette.

If anyone should be trade bait, we should dangle White and Thigpen and see who bites.

Fin D and MonstBlitz like this.
  5. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    I disagree that W Allen won't start next year.

6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I know a lot of people say that you're only as good as your backup QB, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say Tyler Thigpen could be the best backup QB in the league. And I think he's better than at least a handful of starters, including the guy that replaced him in Matt Cassell. Not sure if I'd like to get rid of him, but I could see him earning a 3rd round pick.

Phinvader Bill likes this.
  7. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I hope he doesn't.
    That would mean one of Davis or Smith takes a step back this offseason instead of getting year better.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  8. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Not really. Don't forget just how good a cornerback Will Allen is, and how bad Davis and Smith played at times. They had good rookie years but still played like rookies at time. They could both improve and Will Allen could still be better than both. Not a knock on either of them, more a credit to Will Allen.

eric, Rocky Raccoon, resnor and 3 others like this.
  9. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    If these two rookies can't beat a good, not great, but good CB who is coming of a major knee injury, I think that's bad thing fo us.

mroz likes this.
  10. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Those players don't have value outside of Ronnie.

Players that could be actual trade bait:

- Davone Bess
    - one of the DEs perhaps McDaniel or Langford

Teams would want a younger, lower paid alternative that they know will work over a draft pick. I say no though, because the value they'd give for those guys are far lower than their worth to our team. Draft picks are highly overvalued. They have a very high bust factor and it's a shame to see Wes Welker turn out to be merely worth a Samson Satele.

11. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I thought Smith started off great, then gradually faded as the year went on. He looked lost at times, and shied away from contact IMO. Davis on the other hand was relegated to back up status as the season began, and was forced into action when Allen went down. And, I saw steady improvement in him as the season went on. That's not to say he didn't get burnt occasionally, but I think that's gonna happen with him. He's a ball hawk and tends to gamble at times. Besides, he's a rookie (or was). Regardless, I think his best days are still ahead of him. But, Smith concerns me. As such, I could see bringing back Allen if the money is right.

As for who to dangle for trade bait, I agree...the only player we have that would garner any real interest is Brown. And, I wouldn't even won't to consider trading him. He's just too important to this team IMO.

JMHO...

resnor likes this.
  12. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I was trading JP. JT was just one of the reasons.

13. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I don't think Ronnie will command a 2nd round pick. He has never finished a season and sometimes (not always his own falt) doesn't put up very big numbers which make it look like he's easily taken out of games.

Let the flames begin.......

14. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Ginn Jr could have value to the right team.

15. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'd rather keep him than trade him for a fifth.

16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Ronnie is a free agent extremely unlikely he is traded.

17. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I would trade brown in a heartbeat.He has proven to be injury prone.What makes you think this going to change the older he gets.
    They already signed 2 players to big money that are injury prone(grove,smiley)get a draft pick and draft a back.We need to get younger at rb.

18. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    he wont be FA if no cba agreement happens

19. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Philip Merling might be a guy that we'd trade. He's underachieved. But he's young, still has a lot of potential, and MAY be a better fit to a team running a 43 front.

gafinfan likes this.
  20. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    De end is one of the only postions on this team that we our set.I do not want to trade away our depth.

21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Ronnie is a RFA right? So we could tender him and get a high pick out of him, although I would love to see us keep him here I have begun to realize that its a possibility that he may not be in a Fins uni come the 2010 season.

Greg Camarillo - Hartline is essentially a younger, faster version of Camarillo, I know he is fan favorite and never drops a pass but he is the first one that comes to mind. Maybe we could get a 4th rounder out of him.

or if he's franchised.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  22. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Camarillo and perhaps Nate Jones are two guys that we can afford to trade next year if we get a better WR to start at the flanker position and Will Allen comes back healthy.

23. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    When we got him for a 5th? That's gonna be tough. I like the guy, but I don't see how he'll be able to elevate his worth from a 5th to a 3rd as the backup. Matt Schaub did it, but that is very rare.

24. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    You might be right. That is a big leap for the limited action in the Pittsburgh game and considering the 2 interceptions. If he had more opportunities to show what he can do this year I could see it. I'm not saying I'm upset he didn't have those opportunities, but I really think Thigpen is better than a few starting QBs in this league.

25. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I would feel more comfortable if henne when down and thigpen was still on the roster.If they trade him and we have pat white as the back up the season will be over real quick.

26. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh I agree completely. There are two starting QB's in the AFC East who Thigpen is better than. Not to mention anyone Oakland or Cleveland is trotting out. Solid backup QB's are coveted in this league, as they should be. It's nice to know the Phins have a good one, even if he is 3rd string.

jetssuck and MonstBlitz like this.
  27. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    if JT, Ricky & Ronnie are resigned
    Bell, Porter, GinnJr. & Will Allen are expendible

28. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    trading ronnie brown would be one of the biggest mistakes we've ever made

gafinfan, M1NDCRlME and resnor like this.
  29. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Who's gonna give a 3rd for any of those guys besides ronnie?? LOL

jetssuck likes this.
  30. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I wouldnt trade Thigpen for any draft picks. He`s a great #2, or #1 if Henne goes down. I would probably trade Ronnie before Thigpen,although Ronnie leaving would create another problem all together. I dont think Rickey could carry the full load next year even if Hilliard gives him a breather.

31. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    agree, I think Will Allen would make a great 3rd CB but if he is starting come next season I am going to have a problem with that.

32. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Carey - would reel in the highest pick (1/2)

Allen (W) - still has a few years left

CAM - still has lots to offer (3-5)

Ginn - someone might trade a (3-6) for him .... as a return man or a role player WR

Porter - though i don't see anyone willing to pick him up at his current salary == i think he just gets cut.

Bell - another one who just gets cut due to salary

Smiley - could get traded, but interest would be limited due to injury history - he gets cut

Wilson - i very much doubt this one, given the situation with Bell - but it is possible.

Ayodele, Torbor - just plain get cut .... no one would trade for them

RB - just very much doubt that we'd trade him .... i'm not one to subscribe to the RB all world club - but the difference in this team with and without him was clearly noticeable - and RW, Sheets, Hilliard don't make up the difference. The WC is not dead.

gafinfan and jetssuck like this.
  33. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Will Allen will definetly start next yr if healthy. Also if he does it does not mean rookies will take a step back just that we have more depth

34. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    don't mess w/ the offensive line, the RB stable or our QB's

35. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    With all the trouble we've had finding QB talent the last decade I'd prefer to hold onto Thigpen.

Considering Pat White is still a VERY unknown variable as to whether he can ever really play the position in the NFL outside of Wildcat packages and is clearly a project it's even more important that Thigpen is kept.

Yeah, I know the Penny arguments are out there but is he even sure he's coming back? I saw some article that questions whether he will or not.

36. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    We just traded a 6th to get Thigpen this season. We could probably get a 5th out of him, but seeing as we acquired him I think he is someone the Front Office wants to hang around at least for the off-season to see what he's got. Remember Sparano didn't name Henne the starter in 2010, which I still think was just something he did to motivate Henne, but regardless Thigpen will be given his looks. If we were to trade Thigpen it would be during the Pre-season to a team that didn't get a QB they wanted or something.

37. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I'm going to say something that I'm sure will get me flamed but here goes!

We had no offensive leadership out of Henne down the stretch, something that I believe was missing after Ronnie went down, and it cost us in those last three games. Imho this is why Tony was noncommittal about Henne as our starter in 2010 and if you factor in that I'm guessing they will conclude that Pat White will be better used elsewhere I'm guessing that we may very well see them draft another QB this April. While Henne may still become a very good QB for us; the Bill Parcels remarks about his habits while our #2 and the lack of a Penny like leadership quality bother me. He is no fire breather like Dan or Penny was, at least, not yet. Will he become one, who knows, but I would have liked to have seen something from him this year and didn't. Did any of you who went to the games? I know in 2008 we saw Penny get on guys on the sidelines as did JT this year but I saw nothing from Henne.

As for trading RB the very first team up to bat will be the Pats! You all better believe that Billy will be busting his seams to get Ronnie on his team and he will use him properly to help him win another SB imho! :yes::shifty: If you guys think the Wes Welker trade makes us look dumb the RB trade will make us look dumber!:wink2:

38. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'll be the first to flame you. He did show fire in the huddle and it was mentioned. He led numerous comebacks throughout the season. I have no clue what you're talking about and who you believe would be a better solution than Henne. They're non-commital because they want him to work. They were never committed to Pennington even last year so it means nothing.

39. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Jason Allen anyone,former first round pick,I could live without his whopping 20 tackles

40. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    He is great on special teams. Not sure on his contract value and if a paycut should be in order.