1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phins Player & Position Improvements From 09

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I believe many players and positions are much improved from last year, and from game #1 this season. My run down:

Henne- His reads and touch have gotten better, as has knowing when to throw the ball away. Padre also told me of his play action fake on Sunday. He was right, it was great. He is not there yet but, definitely improved.

Long- Went from Pro Bowl to best at his position.

Carey- Has looked much better than a year ago.

Bess- Has improved his route running, and is at the top of his position.

Hartline- Started slow but, is now making plays. He makes mistakes but has improved. I think he's ready to take the next step.

Jerry- was improving before the injury.

Langford- Has improved vs the pass, and is more consistent.

Soliai- I wanna see another sack for another dance. LOL

Wake- Has become a Pro Bowler

Davis- Has not been great of late but, is improved from last season.

As far as being better at positions, Marshall, Dansby, and Clemons are a bit better than Ginn, Ayodele, and Wilson. :)

Opinions?

2. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Our schedule has improved and that is why we are *****ing at 4-4 and not beating our chests at 5-3.

The team as a WHOLE has improved.

The Bad?

Henne is steady and not improving.

the run game is weaker.

Play at center is severely degraded.

Sean Smith should be improved...he is not.

It is clear that we need a upgrade over Fasano.

The special teams are actively hurting the team.

Ohio Fanatic and Southbeach like this.
  3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    and crowder is soffftttt and succckkkkss omgzzzzzz

Section126 likes this.
  4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I would agree with the guys you've mentioned, but I think its worth mentioning Sean Smith and Chris Clemmons as well. Smith has become more aggressive, especially tackling. Im not sure if he missed any in Sundays game, but who didnt really. However, this season he's looked more aggressive when it comes to makin tackles, which is a plus for us.

Clemmons, is a guy who has stepped in and done fairly well at safety. He's got a long ways to go, for sure, no doubts about that. He's played fairly well though, better than I think alof of people expected.

5. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Agree for the most part.

Hartline has made 2 major gaffes in the last 3 games though ( Pitt int and slip for int against BAlt ) you can't do that and consider it improved , unless you play lights out and of course that has not happened ... at all.

Have not seen enough of Jerry to confidently see noticeable improvement at that position. Hopeful though.

Vonte was not good last game , hopefully a blip , but let's see him return to how he was playing at the start of the season.

6. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    See quote.

7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I agree with Sec. Brutal, brutal schedule. I actually expected this team to finish around 9-7 or 10-6.

From a roster standpoint, I agree with the upgrades the OP mentioned. If we aren't competing for a top 3 seed in the playoffs next year though, **** it.

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You are offbase on the Special Teams role they have improved from #31 to #17 and will probably go into the top 15 when this week's stats are updated.

Fasano drops to many passes, they backed themselves into a corner by wasting time with John Nalbone.

This is termination Tuesday, will be interesting to see if Mickey Shuler survives it.

9. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Disagree on Henne, and have to add Starks to your list. He is just not the same player.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Hartline has 9 catches and 200 total yds in the last two games, no player on offense has played better.

I think going home to the Baltimore area messed Vontae up.

11. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    That's like saying that you improved from terminal cancer to herpes.

So I pretend that we didn't leave a gunner open and didn't play hot potato with a football at our goaline on a kickoff?

Our special teams are actively working for the other team. We play against 4 units every week. If it weren't for Carpenter, where would that ranking be?

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    honestly, im pretty damn excited for free agency and draft this offseason.....next year is THE YEAR seriously....no excuses. the dynasty begins next year.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You missed:

-blocked fg attempt

-holding the Ravens returners to minimal yards on punts and kickoffs.

-the blown assignment did not cost any points.

-muffed kickoff did not cost a single yard, it was placed at the 20.

You are focusing on the pimple and not seeing the whole face.

14. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I did mention Clemons. I would like to see Smith for a few more games. For whatever reason, it seems teams throw more on Davis when Smith is in the game.

15. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    idk if i agree with carey being improved from last year.imo he has actually digressed from last year and is not playing consistant.now im not sure how much of that is on carey or the gaurd sitting next to him and i'll use that first drive in the baltimore game when jj was in they did well opening running lanes and also pass protected pretty good but it seemed once jerry got pulled and replaced with rocky that careys play dropped.it also seems carey is getting tired too quickly.

it also seemed as though bergers game dropped when rocky entered the game and wonder if thats why we didn't run the ball in the second half due to the oline not getting a strong push off the line needed for a successful run game.

again this is just my amateur opinion and have only watched every game once but carey just hasn't been as consistant as he has been in the past to me.

16. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    For our first pick in the 2011 draft, we have Odrick.

For our 2nd pick in the 2011 draft, we have Merling.

For our 4th pick in the 2011 draft, we have Edds.

Not a bad start.

17. dolfan22

Henne hasn't improved as much as hoped , whether that is all on him is very debatable.

The run game is disheartening, for all the bravado about being a physical , punishing , run based offense , we have not been effective and that hurts this team severely as we don't seem to want to push the ball downfield.

PLUS we always seem to make it hard for us to win , we do things that we have to overcome , hard to beat the other team , let alone overcome obstacles we provide.

Section126 likes this.
  18. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The pimple is malignant.

the fg attempt was botched.

the raven returners are not so great.

a blown assignment is a blown assignment.

they are terrible.

Have they improved? yes...but how could they not?

19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    groundhog day.

dolfan22 likes this.
  20. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    we have misi not merling for our 2011 pick but all the same.

21. dolfan22

I get that , HOWEVER that implies we have coaching and management on board in a positive , focused , productive way too.

That has yet to be proven to be an absolute, hopeful of course , but cautious...this is the dolphins after all , and they still make me cry ...

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ravens ST is a top 12 unit, we played as well as they did, if you count the blown coverage, then the blocked FG, or failed FG attempts counts to the benefit of the ST unit.

Stuffing their Returners doesn't count? Really?

So only the bad stuff matters, none of the good?

And that is my point.

ST will be Top 15 tomorrow, they have jumped up 16 slots in 4 games, and they will climb higher in the next rankings.

23. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Carey played hurt last season, and was beaten badly in a number of games. Not so this year. I do agree that Jerry makes him better.

As I recall, someone posted Carey grading out very well in PFF. Anyone have that info?

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What?

With 8 games to go this year? **** that noise homie, Find a Way to get it done Sparano, not next yr, right now, two games in 6 days, win them both and we are back on track.

No way the towel should be thrown in 8 games into the season with a 4-4 record.

Southbeach likes this.
  25. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Because of injury, I was putting Odrick, Merling, and Edds into next year's draft. Hell of a start, No?

m ino likes this.
  26. dolfan22

Off seasons are FAR too long to be in next year country at the half way point with a .500 record.

It is a longshot but I want to win every single game through February.

If we don't win at least 5 of the remaining games , I think we need to look at big picture changes , and I am not desiring that , but if it is needed than so be it.

padre31 likes this.
  27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, 8 games, 50% of the season, and we are basically 0-0, and Sparano's teams typically get better at the turn and are defined by the last 3 games.

Let's roll baby.

Southbeach likes this.
  28. dolfan22

All are question marks though , for different reasons. We would be making a mistake , imo , if we counted on anything from them.

We can be hopeful , but can't see it being prudent to pencil in any really meaningful production from them.

29. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Completely agree. There are not great teams this year. Look at the Pats & Jets last Sunday.

I have hope because I do not believe that the teams we are fighting with, for the playoffs, are going to get much better.

On the other hand, I know we can get MUCH better.

padre31 likes this.
  30. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i see what you did there!

yes hell of a start even if merling doesn't get back in good graces with this club and doesn't stop hitting people repeatedly in the face(merling was already in the doghouse before the arrest) 2 outta three isn't bad at all on the other hand we have three draft picks that aren't on the field at all this season due to injury's and that isn't so much a hellofa start but atleast they are learning the defense along with everyone else so they should be up to speed and ready to take off come next season.

31. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    How could you not? Odrick was starting, Merling was a big part of the rotation, and Edds was counted on as a third down LB. I would love to have all three on the field, and I am sure Nolan agrees.

32. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Yeah, Odrick and Edds have a year to learn, and to get their bodies in NFL shape, almost like a red shirt year in College.

Merling has a year to get his head on straight. He has really pissed me off. He shows Pro Bowl flashes, and then disappears. The team has said he remains in their plans.

33. dolfan22

Because the dolphins always make me cry ...

So colour me cautious , Odrick played part of one game , he never showed me anything that made me go WOW to that point. He may of course but not counting on it , plus we do have the tangible part of injuries , whether we like it or not.

Merling has dissapointed to date. I doubt anyone contradicts that , he has been fat and lazy , AND his biggest hits have been in a totally inappropriate realm. There may be repercussions for that as well. If healthy , there has been no reason to pencil in above average production imo.

Edds hasn't played a meaningful game of pro footabll and was a 4th rnd choice. We havemissed on much much higher choices recently. He may be a piece of the improved puzzle , but nothing states he emphatically is , or to ignore ILB because of him , again imo.

Not trying to be negative , just realistic with a all too often burnt Miami vision :up:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This week, is simply massive, win 2 games, we are back in it.

Jets lose to the Brownies in Cleveland, which is possible, and the Pats lose to a banged up Pitt, we win to, we are 6-4 they are 6-3, we are dead back in this race.

I saw my CFL team start out 1-7 and make the playoffs one of the lessons I learned from that one is until you are eliminated, you still have a real chance.

Titans are a tough matchup for us, will be interesting to see if the Defense answers the call, Mike Roos is a beast at LT so I don't know how much success Wake will have, but do know they have to get it done no matter what, no excuses.:up:

35. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    It ain't over 'till it's over. There are no "fat ladies" singing on South Beach.

36. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    That's crap. It's a line of horse hockey that's been foisted on us for too long. We were sold a bill of goods. I don't think it's wrong to expect a return on a three year bond, do you?

padre31 and Section126 like this.