1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phins Phans Phickle Phinger of Phate

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    The fickle finger of fate is defined as a series if very unlucky or unfortunate events. For example, someone gets fired from their job, crashes their car driving home, finds out their insurance has lapsed, gets home to find out their wife is pregnant, and their son was in jail for drugs. It was a catchphrase started by an old TV show "Rowen & Martins Laugh In" which had many others.

From a Phins perspective, how many very unlucky or unfortunate events can we point our "Phickle Phingers" at?

2. PigMuffin

PigMuffin New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    You may not like this answer but i think we have had the most fortuitous events happen this year. What this franchise needed more than anything else is a complete house cleaning from coach, to gm, to qb.

Chad Henne gave us the best chance of winnng out of all the qbs we have on the roster so we open up with two of the most difficult games on the schedule. We are winning against the browns and it takes a fumble from DT, boneheaded coaching decisions and a complete breakdown of the defense on the last drive to lose a game we had no business losing.

We dominate the jets the first half yardage wise and are still losing due to a pick 6 and complete ineptitude in the red zone. We play the broncos who we would of easily beaten i feel if we had Henne, so by the grace of God hes out that game.

We blow a game against the giants that we could of easily won.

Teams have been able to exploit our pass defense and that has alot to do with nagging hammy from Davis.

We've caught miracle after miracle from Marshall dropping at least 3 tds to the broncos recovering an onside kick.

I dont know about you but i feel we have been extremely lucky this season so far. Im excited about getting a new coach, FO and a franchise qb. Could you imagine if we went 8-8 and kept Sparano. That would of been proof that we were cursed

Hopefully our luck holds out. I started a thread after the browns game saying we are blessed so far this season not cursed and i hope it continues to be that way.

3. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    David Overstreet. I think that's about as 'unfortunate' as you can get.

Ozzy, Southbeach and RevRick like this.
  4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    You make your own Luck as the saying goes.:wink2:

5. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    11th grade in high school...I had a chemistry teacher, Mrs. Croft. When she was looking for someone to answer a question or go up to the board to solve a problem, she would say "The fickle finger of fate is pointing at ________".

One day I had enough of her bull****. This is the same woman who flunked me on my table of elements test, which I didn't miss one answer, because I wrote in all caps but with a smaller letter next to the bigger letter. Every one like that she marked wrong, even though the letters were correct. So we never saw eye to eye. I couldn't drop the class at that point, so I toughed it out but didn't put much effort into it either. I mean, what is the point learning it if you are going to purposely fail me anyway. But I digress...

So one day she tells me that the fickle finger is pointing at me. I look at her and say, "Fickle finger this" and proceed to give her a middle finger salute. She flips out and kicks me out of the classroom. I go to the principals office. He asks me what happened. I tell him, "Mrs. Croft said the fickle finger of fate is pointing at....". He stops me and says, "don't tell me you....". I said, "yes sir, I did". :pointlol:

He told me to just ride out the rest of the hour in the library and he will take care of it. It all ended up in a parent teach conference. She got in trouble for my failing tests when the answers were correct and she was forbidden to ever say "the fickle finger of fate is pointing at _________".

#WINNING :yes:

dolfndav34 and cdz12250 like this.
  6. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    As we did with DC over Brees. Making bad luck is the same as making good luck.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  7. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    We got fickle fingered by Jimmy,Dave,Nick,Cam and fisted bo Tony,Bill and Ireland.

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Lol

9. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Hmmmmmmphhhh? You must be a young whippersnapper... You forgot the aerial component of the attack.....

[​IMG]

It is the PHLYING PHICKEL PHINGER OPH PHATE!!

(Oh, did you notice they had to clean up the image.... The original had the wings mounted elsewhere.... Donchaknow!)

Southbeach likes this.
  10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The name and faces change, but the results and style of performance stays the same...hmmmmm

11. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

I would just like to say...As someone that used to complain so much about bad luck. It pisses me off when people complain about bad luck. That guy in the example probably was a terrible father that didn't know how to pull out. Spent all his money on booz so he couldn't pay his car insurance, got drunk at work and was fired for it. Then on the way home he crashes cuz hes to drunk to know the difference between green and red. None of that is bad luck. All those things he could control and didn't. I often look back on my bad luck and realize it was my own damn fault.

Dolphins have created their own damn bad luck!

::rant over::

12. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I had a similar story. But instead of giving the middle finger, I thought if I threw a book at her the principal would finally decide to get me out of her class. Instead it just sparked a parent teacher conference in which my mom came in all on my side! #GOMOM!

Southbeach likes this.
  13. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    you guys were ****ty kids :tongue2:

14. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Good post. "The Phickle Phinger" with a silver lining. We shall see.

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Fortuitous ?? Where is it proclaimed that Henne and Ireland will be gone after this season ?? And then you make the point that Henne wasn't the real root of our problems ?? There is no guarantee that Ireland is going bye-bye come early January... Henne will be a fa and likely not want to come back here or necessarily be 'welcomed' back here, but there is, again, no guarantee that the won't be back. About the only thing we can reasonably assume that is certain is that TS won't be back.

Fortuitous ?? Based on the facts you pointed out, there is a good chance that we will win a game or two, since we've been close on every game. The Dolts haven't been close at all. I'd say it's still only about 30% chance that we end up with the #1 overall pick...there is still a long way to go...

I think you are assuming a lot about where we are and what our phate is...I don't see that illustrious #1 overall pick in our future and Ireland's phate will be written by who takes over...right now, the the two major candidates are proclaiming that they're not going to be coaching in 2012... Even Fisher is likely to have Ireland as his GM...

The funny thing is, if you look real closely at this season, it's a mirror of 2008 with the breaks going our way instead of against us....The team is just as inept, but the talent is better overall. The only difference between the two years (other than the 0-7 vs 11-5) is a QB...

Southbeach likes this.
  16. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I WISH I was that young. :)

The editing must have been done by a friend of mine who uses "don't give a flying ****" often. :) I sent him your pic, and he sends his thanks, saying that he will use it well, and often.

17. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Rusty Chambers as well....Sad days in Dolphinland...

18. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    We chose Rick Spielman and Dave Wannstedt over Ted Thompson.

19. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Thanks Dad. JK/LOL

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Its all been downhill since we left our culture, our historic special building, and our 12th man.

21. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

Quite possibly the worst saying in sports.

22. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Nope.

"Hey Tom! Autograph my back while I suck your d***!"
    -Pats fans

23. RevRick

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    [​IMG]

Oh! The Pain! The Pain!!

24. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result....

25. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I would think that in football it's more like doing the same thing over and over again until you get it right.

26. DOLPHAN1

If you are speaking of the players and plays, but as an organization...not so much. We have been doing the same thing as an organization since 95, Shula's last year. Grouping up a bunch of talent but not actually creating a team. I haven't seen this organization put a team on the field for many years.

RevRick likes this.
  27. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I would not go back that far D1. JJ was was 2-3 in 3 of 4 playoff years. Wanny followed with 1-2 in 2 playoff years. Then in 2002 we blew an 11 point 4th quarter lead to the Pats in the last game. Tie breakers put the Jets in the playoffs, and we stayed home. 2003- 10-6 and no playoffs.

That's the point where I agree with you, where everything went downhill, and we have stayed there.

28. DOLPHAN1

Shula put together that all star first round can't lose team that did just that, JJ built half a team that showed potential but no Offense, Wanstash ran that same team into the ground on Ricky Williams back, Satan was over his head at this lvl, Cam was well...a lame duck to say the least and now we have the afterbirth of team Parcells....:sad:

29. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Luck is what you make it, we have made bad decisions and are paying the price for them, will continue to for several years. Luck is nothing more than preparation meeting opportunity.

30. RevRick

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA

Sounds like a Gunny I knew one time. He and a chief RM I worked under were always talking about the Seven P's...

Proper Prior Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!

I have to wonder if this version of the Dolphins have even heard the Seven P's.